PDA

View Full Version : Vista Issues..

nefariousD
08-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Can't get the game working under Vista. :( After running it, I get a 'This program has stopped responding' error..

I tried enabling XP compatibility mode (and 98 for that matter) but it only results in a black screen. I'm still able to exit by pressing esc, however.

Any tips or suggestions?

Vas
08-17-2007, 04:54 AM
strange i tested the demo under vista 64 (without XP compatibility mode)

nefariousD
08-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Thats very odd.. I also tried disabling visual themes (i'm running Aero interface) but no luck so far.. I've been playing the demo on my laptop in the meantime. :(

Shadow
08-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately, right now I don't have any suggestions for you, but I'll look into it.

Anyone else playing or trying to play under Vista? Is it working or not working for you?

nefariousD
08-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Still haven't figured out how to get this going in Vista. I've tried giving the program full system privileges, and also running it as administrator, but no such luck. Unfortunately, nothing is being dumped to the log file, either..

Shadow
08-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Actually I can debug further if you will do a simple test. Go into your user.cfg file and add this line to it at the bottom:
logfile 2

This will force the game to save the logfile for each line that it adds. Then if you could send me log.txt that shows up in the User directory I should be able to get a better idea of where it is dying.

My email is steven $AT$ soldak &DOT& com. Remove and replace the obvious stuff of course :)

LDiCesare
09-01-2007, 09:08 AM
It works for me under vista 32bits. I did experience a few crashes, though, but that's not that bad since the game saves state often enough and automatically. (Meaning that won't stop me from buying but it's annoying anyway).

Shadow
09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
I should have mentioned this already but nefariousD and I tracked this down to the game not recognizing his sound card for some reason, but he is now using a 2nd sound card he has and everything works fine. I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else though, so this seems to be a pretty isolated case.

I have fixed the game so it doesn't crash if it doesn't find a sound card and there is even a way to completely skip initializing the sound card if needed.

Also, I have fixed a few crash bugs since the demo so there should be less crashes in the full game. BTW, if windows gives you a crash address when it crashes those can be really useful for me to track down the problem.

Len Gallagher
10-16-2007, 04:02 PM
I can get the demo to run, but it is constantly flashing. I have an ATI Radeon X300/550 video card and updated the drivers from ati.com yesterday.

Do you have any ideas on how to get the demo to stop flashing?

Len

Shadow
10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
The only time I have heard of flashing issues was solved by turning off the hardware cursor. Depending on which demo version you have, the hardware cursor option will either be in the graphics options or the game options. Try turning that off and see if it works then.

deadraque
11-15-2007, 10:18 AM
I have same isseu i just bought the game and i am unable to run it (I am under Vista) The demo works!!! The full game just won't start, i have also tried to run as admistrator and putted compatible modes nope nothing helps so i decided to uninstall the demo and saw the following where i think the error lies, The demo says version 1.002 the full game that i downloaded from the BMT link and installed says 1.000 even if i patch it with 1.003 or the beta 1.004... Now that i finally have the game after playing those 7 levels i can't start the full game... great.... Please help as fast as you can thanks... Or send me a new download link where the game is already patched to 1.002 just like the demo, hoping it solves the prob. The demo Exe is 2.06 mb and the retail i bought is 1.53 so indeed it proves already that there is more in the demo exe then the full game one as it stays 1.000 whatever patch you put.

Shadow
11-15-2007, 11:16 AM
What happens when you try to run the game? Does it ever ask you for the key that BMT sent to you?

I will hopefully update the version you download from BMT soon, but you can patch the game by grabbing one of the patches from our patch page (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Patches.html) and installing it in the same place where you installed the game.

deadraque
11-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi Shadow, as this was a post from someone else I started another post on the same forum called "unable to start game" but for a quick response no he doesn't even ask the serial he immedialtly says that "depthsofperil.exe has stopped working windows looks for a solution" If we need microsoft for a solution we will be in 2054... :)
But on my laptop where i have xp he did ask me immediatly after the key, i had the choose for pressing cancel, so i did press cancel as I want it to work on my desktop, easier to play on bigger screen and mouse...

Shadow
11-15-2007, 11:33 AM
I just sent you a couple emails also with this information, but it sounds like it is the DEP issue. You can find a solution to this in this forum thread (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80&page=2) or in the troubleshooting section of the manual (http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Manual.html).

deadraque
11-15-2007, 11:42 AM
solved thanks Shadow!