PDA

View Full Version : Drox Operative - Drakk and Dryad

Shadow
04-26-2012, 02:03 PM
We revealed 2 more races today from Drox Operative on the Drox Operative races page (http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Races.html). Today's races are the Drakk and the Dryad. We also updated all of the races with portraits and traits.

Castruccio
04-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Those race portraits look fantastic. You guys have a classic on your hands, I am telling you. Everything looks like it is meshing together so well, and the unity of vision between the game design and the art is readily apparent. This is going to be the game that puts Soldak on the map in a whole new way. Give us a beta in May!

DeathKnight1728
04-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Must ...play... this....game!!!!

But seriously shadow, when this beta comes around, its gonna rock!

Bluddy
04-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Seriously -- nice job guys.

Valgor
04-26-2012, 05:27 PM
That's not what I expected the Fringe to look like... or the Lithosoid, for that matter. Great job on the portraits, though!
They really do add that extra personal element to the races' descriptions. Can't wait to hire these guys and eject them from the nearest airlock, should they demand their pay.

Roswitha
04-26-2012, 06:30 PM
The pictures make a huge difference.

So where do humans fit into the scheme of things?

Shadow
04-26-2012, 06:33 PM
So where do humans fit into the scheme of things?

They are another race. I just haven't officially announced them yet.

aReclusiveMind
04-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Love the new race pictures.

Roswitha
04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
They are another race. I just haven't officially announced them yet.

That's kind of what I thought. Can Operatives be any race?

Shadow
04-27-2012, 11:53 AM
That's kind of what I thought. Can Operatives be any race?

Yes, you get to pick your race. Your race determines which ships you get, your starting crew bonus, and your crew bonus as your increase your command attribute.

Valgor
04-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Will the player still be able to buy ships from different races later on, or are they stuck with the designs of their starting race?

Shadow
04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Will the player still be able to buy ships from different races later on, or are they stuck with the designs of their starting race?

Currently you are stuck with your race's ships. You don't ever buy ships though. You get them for free when you get your command attribute up high enough.

Valgor
04-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Hmm... It does make sense that the Operatives Guild would supply ship models the player's core crew are the most familiar with. But why for free? Don't they have a business to run?

gornova
04-28-2012, 08:31 AM
finally races!
I don't like Drakk, too much fantasy (IMHO), other races are good

Shadow
04-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Hmm... It does make sense that the Operatives Guild would supply ship models the player's core crew are the most familiar with. But why for free? Don't they have a business to run?

Technically you "buy" new ships by using your attribute/crew points on command instead of other things.

Valgor
04-28-2012, 07:23 PM
This means the Command attribute does nothing other than unlocking bigger ships, I presume?

What about the other races? They do need to research better ship designs, or is their advancement tied to the player's Command as well?

Bluddy
04-28-2012, 10:35 PM
finally races!
I don't like Drakk, too much fantasy (IMHO), other races are good

I agree with that sentiment. I also don't like mixing fantasy and sci-fi. I think their ships are incredibly cool, but I'd be happier with stranger looking creatures that perhaps breathed out fire (due to scientific reasons of some sort) so that there was an 'air' of dragons to them without looking exactly like dragons.

Not a huge deal though.

aReclusiveMind
04-29-2012, 03:30 AM
I actually wish more games combined fantasy and sci-fi elements, but I guess that's just me. In many ways sci-fi is fantasy only slightly more plausible. I do get tired of the "Tolkien" fantasy staples though. I wish more authors/designers would strive for originality and leave the elves/dwarves/gnomes at home.

I don't see why you'd call the Drakk "fantasy" though. Yes, they are a dragon/reptilian race with wings. They aren't exactly going to be traversing galaxies with those wings, so in that sense, they are just another space faring race like everyone else. Master of Orion had a "Sakkra" race that was reptilian minus the wings.

PixelLord
04-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Drakk do look maybe too much like a dragon, I guess. I was given the race descriptions, and the ships were already done; so I tried to get everything to match up pretty well. I may rework the Drakk portrait a bit (I don't think it will hurt to change the style to look a little more alien and a little less like an actual dragon). I'll always have the old one as a backup anyway if people don't like the changes.

Bluddy
04-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Drakk do look maybe too much like a dragon, I guess. I was given the race descriptions, and the ships were already done; so I tried to get everything to match up pretty well. I may rework the Drakk portrait a bit (I don't think it will hurt to change the style to look a little more alien and a little less like an actual dragon). I'll always have the old one as a backup anyway if people don't like the changes.

Awesome. This wasn't even a big complaint, but I'm happy that you're receptive to it and are flexible enough to rework the portrait.

kerzain
04-30-2012, 01:27 AM
I like the dragons.

gornova
04-30-2012, 04:09 AM
@shadow: could you give us 3d model on webpage of ships? like here (http://eu.battle.net/sc2/it/game/unit/mutalisk)

PixelLord
04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
@shadow: could you give us 3d model on webpage of ships? like here (http://eu.battle.net/sc2/it/game/unit/mutalisk)

That's a really nice site. Bet I'd need to upgrade my machine to play the game. I wonder how many polys those ships are.

PixelLord
04-30-2012, 10:50 AM
I like the dragons.

Ahh. What to do; what to do... :)

Bluddy
04-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Ahh. What to do; what to do... :)

I always have trouble explaining why I don't like mixing fantasy and sci-fi. They're both fantastic, so why not? I think it has to do with all of the extra assumptions and lore they carry.

In general sci-fi, everything is (roughly) science based, and scientifically if there were other species, there are certain patterns they'd evolve in, but they'd be unlikely to look exactly like the prototypes we have in fantasy. Just as an example, how would a dragon species deal with the challenges of producing a post-industrial society? How would they build things and manipulate tools? You'd need to stray quite a bit from the fantasy tropes to make a species that can handle everyday life, even if that life is quite different from ours.

Fantasy, on the other hand, is much more flexible as it's powered by magic (usually), and Tolkienesque fantasy strives to have all different kinds of creatures: short ones (dwarves), slender, fair ones (elves), dangerous, large ones (orcs, dragons etc). There's no need to justify how they evolved or how they manage a society or anything like that -- magic can fill in all the gaps. But it still doesn't feel right when you put some sci-fi elements like aliens inside fantasy. Fantasy already has magic, so the limitations of science seem completely out of place. Does space even exist outside of a fantasy planet? If so, why couldn't a magic spaceship explore space completely? Where do aliens even come into the picture?

Wakuseino
04-30-2012, 11:49 AM
...I get the feeling that most sci-fi doesn't try to go according to those specs either, to be honest. The majority of that is inevitably abstracted in most sci-fi.

kerzain
04-30-2012, 12:03 PM
I always have trouble explaining why I don't like mixing fantasy and sci-fi. They're both fantastic, so why not? I think it has to do with all of the extra assumptions and lore they carry. This is one reason WHY I like the dragons, I love the implications. A typical universe (and I'm going to assume that Drox Operative takes place in a typical universe) contains BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of stars (if Carl Sagan is to be believed). Who is to say there would be limitations to the types of space faring races there would be? Why not dragons?

In general sci-fi, everything is (roughly) science based, and scientifically if there were other species, there are certain patterns they'd evolve in, but they'd be unlikely to look exactly like the prototypes we have in fantasy. Would they? I don't think so. I hate Sci-Fi universes where the only visual distinctions between races are their FOREHEADS! Hell, just look at the most intelligent creatures we have here on earth, tons of diversity here -- and this is just one planet:

Rats
Dogs (not my dog, but other dogs)
Octopi
Parrots/Crows
Chimpanzees/Orangutangs
Dolphins/Orca
Elephants
Pigs
Squirrels
And.. uhh... sometimes Humans... I guess

I don't see any reason why space faring races would be limited to a certain look.

Just as an example, how would a dragon species deal with the challenges of producing a post-industrial society? How would they build things and manipulate tools? You'd need to stray quite a bit from the fantasy tropes to make a species that can handle everyday life, even if that life is quite different from ours.You talk as if straying away from tropes is a bad thing, but even so, we need not stray too far. I can imagine several ways dragons could control and thrive in a space empire. Typically they're thought to be pretty dominant beings; so who is to say they aren't, you know, dominating a race of what it considers to be beasts of burden (let's say humans). Sci-Fi is filled with slave and master races, and also chock full of races who use technology they don't necessarily build themselves.

Give dragons a slave race (which doesn't stray too far from any trope relating to the domineering dragons many fantasy stories speak of), and just watch an entire fleet of vessels custom tailored to their needs spring into being.

Another option is to make it so these highly intelligent Dragons (as most dragons are known to be -- way more intelligent than Octopi even) were met by another space faring race that just happens to do mail order space vessels or something. You know, they meet the dragons, leave behind a catalog, and then deliver any orders that happen to be placed some time later, all in exchange for... well... something besides gold, because a dragon would NEVER give up its treasure & gold.

One benefit of fiction is that the creator gets to decide how and why her space-faring dragon race is thriving.

Fantasy, on the other hand, is much more flexible as it's powered by magic (usually)Right, usually, except when a race like the gnomes get involved -- then they're apt to tinker their own space fleets -- with or without magical infusion. But heck, even electricity is treated as magic in fantasy, and my guess is the concept of harnessing electricity would work out rather well in a sci-fi setting (that's just my guess though).

If I were a dragon I would never try to enslave humans to build my space ships (always so independent, and fighting for freedom, buncha little revolutionaries those dumb humans always turn out to be), but gnomes, because gnomes just don't give a crap about the potential threat of creating space-faring dragons, they just want to see it happen! Consequences be damned! So, whatever space-hijinx fantasy races ever get up to, just blame it on those careless gnomes and their gnomish tinkering (and electricity!).

and Tolkienesque fantasy strives to have all different kinds of creatures: short ones (dwarves), slender, fair ones (elves), dangerous, large ones (orcs, dragons etc). There's no need to justify how they evolved or how they manage a society or anything like that -- magic can fill in all the gaps. Well, explaining the back story of the various races taking part in a space opera is par for the course. When it comes time to fill the gaps, you can fill these gaps with SCIENCE! (not to be confused with science). That's how sci-fi works (not hard sci-fi, but typical sci-fi, and of course syfy too).

Good science fiction has been known to harness the magical properties of powers we have yet to understand like, oh, the whole concept of warp speed, and psionics, teleportation -- typical break-the-laws-of-the-known-universe type stuff. Another word for all of these "technologies" is just that, "magic". Magic drives sci-fi, again though, typically not hard sci-fi... but we're not playing a game where it takes thirty years for a probe to reach the outer edges of a solar system. So.... I don't think we need worry about installing sleep chambers in all our ships just yet. My guess is if some other race pisses you off there will always be time for retribution, because this game appears to be based on SCIENCE!, as many other great sci-fi stories are.

But it still doesn't feel right when you put some sci-fi elements like aliens inside fantasy. Fantasy already has magic, so the limitations of science seem completely out of place. Does space even exist outside of a fantasy planet? If so, why couldn't a magic spaceship explore space completely? Where do aliens even come into the picture?I can't wait to find out!

PixelLord
04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
I guess if it a biological being, and if it has arms, hands, and a brain, it can operate a spacecraft. But then there's the Fringe composed entirely of energy and one sub-race is the actual ships themselves.

Anyway, I did slightly change the Drakk portrait a little. It's mainly changes to the face and head to make it (hopefully) look a little less fantasy. It still has wings and scales but that's in the description. A variation of the old one will still show up as a sub-race, but you won't come across it very often in the game. And we can always put the old one back if need be.

PixelLord
04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
And BTW kerzain, love your comments ...funny! Are you a sci-fi writer? :)

kerzain
04-30-2012, 12:20 PM

I wish. I'm just a sci-fi reader.

Roswitha
04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Also, Robert Heinlein's book, Between Planets, has intelligent dragons, including chemists and nuclear physicists.

The thumbnail looks much less fantastic (as in fantasy; it's a great picture), but I find the grin a little... odd.

Bluddy
04-30-2012, 01:09 PM
OK good points guys. I guess I was way off on that one. There are so many genres and sub-genres that it's really hard to generalize about any one thing, and the point that science is treated like magic is also good.

Maybe it's just a 'crossing regions of the brain' thing? I mean, what would you say about a race of spacefaring horses that for some reason had to walk one step sideways after every two steps forward? Or what if every Tolkien type went into space, so you had elf ships and dwarf ships and orc ships fighting in space? I mean you can always make up a huge backstory to it which makes it more satisfying and fleshed out, but it still feels... off, doesn't it?

Maybe that's the problem. If you go to the trouble of making up a huge backstory, you could justify anything in fiction. You could have Napoleon Bonaparte shooting particle cannons in space. Hey -- anyone played Inca? That one had you playing as El Dorado and fighting conquistadores in space. That was some weird stuff. And they never bothered to explain any of it too much either.

When you have this crossover of characters, your natural reaction is... "Why? Why would this ridiculous crossover happen?" You really have to work on justifying it, building up the universe around it to justify this one element, or the human brain sees it as inconsistent. So with sufficient work, you could take humpty dumpty and explain why he ended up as an admiral of a battleship. But without said work, it looks like you're really juxtaposing things that aren't related and putting a frickin' nursery rhyme character in a spaceship, which makes it seem like you're not taking your fiction's universe very seriously, which is fine for a Hitchhiker's Guide kind of romp though space, but not so good if you're trying to convey the suffering of the dumpty race under their dragon oppressors.

Oh and PixelLord -- I like it!

Wakuseino
04-30-2012, 01:31 PM
...In response to that, I feel like pointing out Warhammer 40k, which basically started off as "Warhammer... IN SPACE." With all the same races, just renamed and having their backstory changed to be on a galactic scale instead of a planetary one. And yes, there were space dwarves too.

...They got fazed out because they weren't interesting enough.

That being said, perhaps Warhammer 40k is not the best example, because even though it's sci-fi, there's still clear examples of magic and evil gods running around.

Truth be told, when it comes down to it, unless we're talking about hard sci-fi, there's actually very little difference between sci-fi and fantasy. You use "space elves" as an example of something that should never happen, but I can name around 3 alien races from sci-fi that are fairly clearly based on elves off the top of my head.

That being said, if we're talking about hard sci-fi, aliens don't belong in there at all. We have no proof that aliens exist, or that even if they do, that they have any better way of finding us than we have of finding them. The second aliens get involved at all, we're already running on the assumption of magic.

PixelLord
04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Also, Robert Heinlein's book, Between Planets, has intelligent dragons, including chemists and nuclear physicists.

The thumbnail looks much less fantastic (as in fantasy; it's a great picture), but I find the grin a little... odd.

Yes, the original was "grinning" too much too. Grin is gone.

Roswitha
04-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Yes, the original was "grinning" too much too. Grin is gone.

Much better. :)

Are you using software to do this? Or drawing it by hand?
Just wondering.

PixelLord
04-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Much better. :)

Are you using software to do this? Or drawing it by hand?
Just wondering.

A very old version of Photoshop (but you still are drawing by hand with your wacom tablet). Hope to upgrade if this game's a hit. :)

Bluddy
04-30-2012, 02:20 PM
...In response to that, I feel like pointing out Warhammer 40k, which basically started off as "Warhammer... IN SPACE." With all the same races, just renamed and having their backstory changed to be on a galactic scale instead of a planetary one. And yes, there were space dwarves too.

...They got fazed out because they weren't interesting enough.

That being said, perhaps Warhammer 40k is not the best example, because even though it's sci-fi, there's still clear examples of magic and evil gods running around.

Truth be told, when it comes down to it, unless we're talking about hard sci-fi, there's actually very little difference between sci-fi and fantasy. You use "space elves" as an example of something that should never happen, but I can name around 3 alien races from sci-fi that are fairly clearly based on elves off the top of my head.

That being said, if we're talking about hard sci-fi, aliens don't belong in there at all. We have no proof that aliens exist, or that even if they do, that they have any better way of finding us than we have of finding them. The second aliens get involved at all, we're already running on the assumption of magic.

I agree. I was referring to the feeling one gets when crossing fantasy and sci-fi or nursery rhymes and trying to figure out where it was originating. I mean, what would you say if Soldak's page had a race called "Space Jesus" with a picture of Jesus in the spaceship?

My guess is that this feeling is due to the fact that our brain constructs notions of what a certain setting should be like, much the same way that we construct a notion of 'real' reality. When things appear in that 'reality' that don't belong there according to our rules, we feel dissonance, and that reality becomes a 'joke' just as if you told me you had superpowers it would disagree with my beliefs about 'real' reality and I would think you were either joking or mad.

So to me, if you tell me that the very same orc that just killed a knight found a spaceship in the woods and flew off into space to start a spacefaring race, it would not work with what I consider to be within the limits of a serious 'space reality'. Interestingly though, if you told me that there's a race of beings that resembles orcs very closely almost to the point that they ARE orcs, that wouldn't bother me so much. (OK orcs are also a flexible concept in fantasy but bear with me). You could also give me some reason why fantasy orcs could be in space, but that would have to involve a lot of explanation because you're basically combining two different universes in my mind: 'real space' and 'real fantasy'. With enough explanation (ie. BS) it could work though, which just goes to show you how tenuous our brains' connection with any reality is.

I'm also guessing that people who see dragons as potentially belonging in sci-fi have simply sampled a lot of sci-fi and have had the limits of their 'sci-fi reality' stretched to the point that it can accept dragons. I haven't, and my vision of 'sci-fi spaceship reality' is fairly conservative.

Wakuseino
04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Heh, fair enough, fair enough. For me, my favorite sci-fi race shall always be a race that was built upon one simple concept: "sentient rocks". They had a reproduction and life cycle completely incomprehensible to human beings, and that was kind of the point; They were true "aliens" in the sense that they were so completely foreign to humans that it's extremely hard to even communicate with them.

I wish I could remember where that race was from or what they were named, though.

Bluddy
04-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Heh, fair enough, fair enough. For me, my favorite sci-fi race shall always be a race that was built upon one simple concept: "sentient rocks". They had a reproduction and life cycle completely incomprehensible to human beings, and that was kind of the point; They were true "aliens" in the sense that they were so completely foreign to humans that it's extremely hard to even communicate with them.

I wish I could remember where that race was from or what they were named, though.

The concept sounds familiar to me, but only thing I could find was this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_in_the_Dark) episode from Star Trek. But then I found this (http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/index.php?search=rock&fulltext=0). You might be able to find them there.

Bluddy
04-30-2012, 03:33 PM
A very old version of Photoshop (but you still are drawing by hand with your wacom tablet). Hope to upgrade if this game's a hit. :)

Do you draw the portraits at a high resolution and then shrink them down?

Castruccio
04-30-2012, 04:01 PM

If so, I think I feel a pre-order bonus request coming on! Namely, really cool desktop backgrounds featuring high res race portraits. It could even be just one or two backgrounds featuring the race portraits and the Drox logo.

PixelLord
04-30-2012, 04:24 PM

Well, yes, a little higher. The ones in the game are only 128x128. I do them at about 300x300 or so and then reduce the size, so even the bigger ones are still way too small to be used as a screen saver or wallpaper image. :(

PixelLord
04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
If so, I think I feel a pre-order bonus request coming on! Namely, really cool desktop backgrounds featuring high res race portraits. It could even be just one or two backgrounds featuring the race portraits and the Drox logo.

Actually, the last thing you mentioned might be a possibility... hmmmm...

Bluddy
04-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Well, yes, a little higher. The ones in the game are only 128x128. I do them at about 300x300 or so and then reduce the size, so even the bigger ones are still way too small to be used as a screen saver or wallpaper image. :(

300x300 is still pretty small. How do you do the fine details on the Wacom with such a small size? I find that if it's less than 600x600 it's hard for me to get any details in, and I work on my MBP's 1440x900 display.

Or do you zoom in to the pixel level?

kerzain
04-30-2012, 04:37 PM

Here you go, 1920x1080, beautiful isn't it?

Totally hi-res desktop image. (http://i.imgur.com/fRoUQ.jpg)

Castruccio
04-30-2012, 04:43 PM

LOL that looks ....terrific. If he had a bunch of portraits at 300x300 and lined them all up, though, that would be pretty cool.

Amberjoy
04-30-2012, 04:46 PM

I AGREE! :) I was smiling through the whole reading. Not to mention, pretty much my own opinion.

And I love dragons! :D

PixelLord
04-30-2012, 05:03 PM
300x300 is still pretty small. How do you do the fine details on the Wacom with such a small size? I find that if it's less than 600x600 it's hard for me to get any details in, and I work on my MBP's 1440x900 display.

Or do you zoom in to the pixel level?

Zoom in. Been making games for 20+ years, so back then you learned to work low rez because you had to. My first game's textures were 16x16. :) Anyway, the tablet is still very useful today even when working lower-rez. And, sadly, when you shrink to 128, you loose a lot of the detail (see Mr. Brunt below - 224x224). But we have to make games that don't make everyone go out a buy a new PC in order to play it.

PixelLord
04-30-2012, 05:04 PM

HAHhahahaha... :D

Valgor
04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
It may be a little late, but I liked the "dragon" Drakk better.

Bluddy
04-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Zoom in. Been making games for 20+ years, so back then you learned to work low rez because you had to. My first game's textures were 16x16. :) Anyway, the tablet is still very useful today even when working lower-rez. And, sadly, when you shrink to 128, you loose a lot of the detail (see Mr. Brunt below - 224x224). But we have to make games that don't make everyone go out a buy a new PC in order to play it.

3DRealms right? Was it Duke3D on the awesome Build engine?

Very nice. Obviously I haven't seen the game yet, but those full size pics might come in handy when you're talking to the different races. And it wouldn't be too hard to turn them into cool communicator animations by adding some snow and interference lines going up and down the image, and by manipulating the mouth area.

Chumpy
04-30-2012, 08:32 PM
I mean, what would you say about a race of spacefaring horses that for some reason had to walk one step sideways after every two steps forward? Or what if every Tolkien type went into space, so you had elf ships and dwarf ships and orc ships fighting in space? I mean you can always make up a huge backstory to it which makes it more satisfying and fleshed out, but it still feels... off, doesn't it?

Maybe that's the problem. If you go to the trouble of making up a huge backstory, you could justify anything in fiction. You could have Napoleon Bonaparte shooting particle cannons in space. Hey -- anyone played Inca? That one had you playing as El Dorado and fighting conquistadores in space. That was some weird stuff. And they never bothered to explain any of it too much either.

wait, all of this sounds awesome

aReclusiveMind
04-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Wow, I really like the larger images. A lot of the detail is lost when they are re-sized to such a small size. I hope the larger images will see a use in some way in the game.

I'm with Valgor and preferred the more dragon-like Drakk photo myself. The new one looks more like a demon to me. I'll enjoy destroying them either way though. I don't discriminate when it comes to annihilating others.

I have noticed that all of the races in Drox have two forward facing eyes and what looks like a mouth. If you decide to add any new species to the game, you may want to consider playing around with alternative races that are less humanoid. For example, I point you the Silicoid (http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Silicoid) , Meklar (http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Master_of_Orion's_Races)(primarily the original game's more robotic variety), or even the Alkari's (http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Master_of_Orion's_Races)bird like features. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Valgor
05-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Yes, why not use the larger images and just scale them in-game when needed?
I think you have that much leeway even on the lesser systems of today.

Bluddy
05-01-2012, 09:14 AM
I agree. All it is, is the difference between a 256x256 texture and a 512x512 texture. Not a huge difference there at all. I mean it's 4 times the memory (uncompressed), but nobody's going to run low on texture memory in this game.

PixelLord
05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
3DRealms right? Was it Duke3D on the awesome Build engine?

Very nice. Obviously I haven't seen the game yet, but those full size pics might come in handy when you're talking to the different races. And it wouldn't be too hard to turn them into cool communicator animations by adding some snow and interference lines going up and down the image, and by manipulating the mouth area.

Duke 3D was my fourth game. I was the lead artist and was fortunate to be a part of that project. :)

Shadow
05-01-2012, 05:34 PM

Their site definitely looks cool, but I wouldn't have any idea how to implement such a thing on our website.

Shadow
05-01-2012, 05:42 PM
This means the Command attribute does nothing other than unlocking bigger ships, I presume?

What about the other races? They do need to research better ship designs, or is their advancement tied to the player's Command as well?

In general command unlocks ships, adds to the structure of your ship, and adds to the main crew attribute of your race.

The races unlock different ships based on research and leveling up.

gornova
05-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Their site definitely looks cool, but I wouldn't have any idea how to implement such a thing on our website.

using away3d and loading model (see here (http://jasonbejot.com/load-and-animate-an-md2-model-in-away3d)), more work to do, forgot me.
drox first !

Valgor
05-01-2012, 06:55 PM
[...]and adds to the main crew attribute of your race.

This works like the passive stat-increasing skills of every class' specialities in Din's Curse?

Shadow
05-01-2012, 08:01 PM
This works like the passive stat-increasing skills of every class' specialities in Din's Curse?

Not exactly. Basically every X number of command points you get a new ship (X increases slowly each time). Each new ship you get the new ship, a few attribute points of your race's specialty (like the Drakk's is Helmsman), and if the new ship doesn't have more slots than the previous ship you get a bonus to your ship structure (health).

Valgor
05-01-2012, 08:14 PM
So any crew points spent on Command are essentially "dead" points, since they don't do anything to improve the player ship's stats
unless it happens to hit a certain limit at which they get a bigger, better ship.
That's certainly a tough decision to be made each time on a level-up. Will you go for Command to get a new ship as quick as possible,
or would you rather improve your crew for better performance in areas they're still lacking.

I was skeptical for a while; but the more I think about it, the better it seems than just plunking down an arbitrary amount of credits for an upgrade.

Still, being able to choose between the designs of different races would be nice. Maybe the player's allies would offer him one of theirs when a "Command-Up" occurs,
free of charge as a token of gratitude for their services?

PixelLord
05-01-2012, 08:56 PM
So any crew points spent on Command are essentially "dead" points, since they don't do anything to improve the player ship's stats
unless it happens to hit a certain limit at which they get a bigger, better ship.
That's certainly a tough decision to be made each time on a level-up. Will you go for Command to get a new ship as quick as possible,
or would you rather improve your crew for better performance in areas they're still lacking.

I was skeptical for a while; but the more I think about it, the better it seems than just plunking down an arbitrary amount of credits for an upgrade.

Still, being able to choose between the designs of different races would be nice. Maybe the player's allies would offer him one of theirs when a "Command-Up" occurs,
free of charge as a token of gratitude for their services?

One thing that will become apparent when you play the game, is that each time you upgrade to a bigger/better ship by allocating points to command, the new ship will be heavier and so requires more thrust to fly as fast. You definitely won't want to immediately upgrade your ship without upgrading your thrust first. If you upgrade with a thrust of less than 50, you will probably be unhappy. This makes the decision even more critical as to how your allocate your crew points.

Shadow
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
So any crew points spent on Command are essentially "dead" points, since they don't do anything to improve the player ship's stats unless it happens to hit a certain limit at which they get a bigger, better ship.

Yes, points between ship unlocks are basically dead points. However the game tells you how many points until the next unlock and what you will get then.

gornova
05-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Duke 3D was my fourth game. I was the lead artist and was fortunate to be a part of that project. :)

yeah! good work! what did you do ?

gornova
05-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Yes, points between ship unlocks are basically dead points. However the game tells you how many points until the next unlock and what you will get then.

player must be aware of this critical decision: do you plan to use tutorial like in Din's ? or something new?

Valgor
05-02-2012, 09:29 AM

As the lead artist, I guess he did a lot of everything.

Shadow
05-02-2012, 09:44 AM
player must be aware of this critical decision: do you plan to use tutorial like in Din's ? or something new?

There are help topics that pop up when important things happen and tips during the initial loading like DC had.

Delilah Rehm
05-02-2012, 11:07 AM
At level 31, I have 2 power supplies and one empty medium slot. I'm debating adding a second thrust or a bomb. Thrust can get me away from mobs (except for a mob of those dang stunners, but they aren't as bad as the quakes. Don't sit still for quakes, boys and girls) but bombs are excellent mob controls. So... I'm looking at thrust first, but I may keep a bomb in my cargo in case I hit a hard solar system.

P.S. Quakes are doublely bad if you have pets... I MEAN fighters. :p Every kill they get bumps them back to full health.

PixelLord
05-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Yes, as Valgor said, a little bit of everything; but Chuck Jones concepted and modeled all the characters. I did mainly world stuff - weapons, walls, buildings, floors, backdrops, explosions (I hope everyone will like the ones in Drox), urinals (heh), etc.

Bluddy
05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Yes, as Valgor said, a little bit of everything; but Chuck Jones concepted and modeled all the characters. I did mainly world stuff - weapons, walls, buildings, floors, backdrops, explosions (I hope everyone will like the ones in Drox), urinals (heh), etc.

The weapons were REALLY cool, as were explosions. And of course, who could forget the awesome urinals.

Who did the strippers? Oh, and the women in alien cocoons who begged you to kill them?

PixelLord
05-02-2012, 03:39 PM
The weapons were REALLY cool, as were explosions. And of course, who could forget the awesome urinals.

Who did the strippers? Oh, and the women in alien cocoons who begged you to kill them?

We probably should move this conversation (about Duke 3D) to a new thread, since I'm thinking it has nothing to do with this thread. Let me know if you start one.

Just to answer; Dirk Jones did the first and David Demarit the second. I was not much of a fan of that aspect of the game.