PDA

View Full Version : Naming Themes

Delilah Rehm
05-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Still on my to-do list is making a bunch of names for the races (names for the crew). I usually try to make name lists with something in common so it feels natural, like they belong together. Anyway, there are a lot of races! I know you haven't seen all of the races, but I'd love any ideas you guys might have.

*Disclaimer: I may use your ideas in the game. This is not a paying gig.

Bluddy
05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Oooh fun fun fun

- Dryad: Nature, Harmony, Sapling, Horizon, Growth, Zen
- Brunt: Ogg, Thorg, Smarch, Dugg (anything with combinations of g, r, t, th, and d and one syllable.
- Cortex: Braniac, Zytheroox, Xolerium (anything with 3+ syllables, preferably using the least used letters x, z, v, and perhaps sounding like minerals or prescription drugs.)
- Fringe: Vax, Zoxx, Ryzox, Spaz, Voosh (1-2 syllables, also lots of x's, and sounds like movement sounds and onomatopoeias due to their dynamic nature.)
- Utopian: UX-049, DR-280 (just letters and numbers)
- Hive: Efficient Worker 5000, Rebellious Warrior 2, Grumpy Worker 3500 (simple filing system describing the attributes of the person -- labels are quickly attached)
- Lithosoid: these sound very similar to Brunt to me and I'm having a hard time differentiating them. Perhaps they're named based on the hazardous planetary conditions they deal with? So you'd have things like Poison Bloom, Ion Storm, Fiery Valley, Magma Hurricane and such things.

Roswitha
05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
For the Drakk, I'm thinking reptilian, so names with lots of Ss and THs. Something a snake would say easily, like Sthisss.

For Lithosoid, something that sounds like rocks moving: Mmrrgmr. (They don't care if humans can pronounce it. :) )

For Humans, I would do great historical leaders, but not necessarily generals. Hammurabi, Ramses, Genghis Khan, Washington, Lee Sun Shin, Bolivar, Churchill. Maybe the forum members could provide a list of great historical figures from their countries.

Valgor
05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Here's my list of suggestions, which may overlap with some of what the others above me have posted :

Drakk - "Lizard Speak" names, with quite a lot of hissing sounds. (Sszar, D'ssero)
Dryad - Names that reference nature and botanic concepts. (Dewleaf, Deeproot)
Hive - "Insect Speak" names, with double-k's and maybe buzzing sounds. (Kezzlaz, Jikklec)
Utopian - Serial numbers or utilitarian denominations. (392-G34/1, Pilot 65-3a)
Lithosoid - Names referencing minerals and geological concepts. (Pyrida, Geodus)
Fringe - Aggressive names that sound like the crackling of electricity. (Zrekrax, Xxoz)
Brunt - Short, barbaric "caveman" names. (Durhm, Vtharg)
Cortex - Noble-sounding, faux-latin names. (Remordius, Sulabra)

Humans - Regular human names that sound vaguely heroic. (Athena, Rex)
Shadow - Names with an air of mystery to them. (Ghul, Zrenna)
Legion - Names referencing militaristic terms and concepts. (Phalanx, Centurion)
Overlord - Threatening, over-the-top names. (Dark Harbinger, Firewielder)
Talon - Will there even be Talon crewmembers?

Of course, suggestions for the as-yet unannounced races are based on my own assumptions, judging from their names and logos.

Shadow
05-01-2012, 05:16 PM

No, there can't be Talon crew members since Talon are ship sized beings.

Amberjoy
05-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Here's my list of suggestions, which may overlap with some of what the others above me have posted :

Drakk - "Lizard Speak" names, with quite a lot of hissing sounds. (Sszar, D'ssero)
Dryad - Names that reference nature and botanic concepts. (Dewleaf, Deeproot)
Hive - "Insect Speak" names, with double-k's and maybe buzzing sounds. (Kezzlaz, Jikklec)
Utopian - Serial numbers or utilitarian denominations. (392-G34/1, Pilot 65-3a)
Lithosoid - Names referencing minerals and geological concepts. (Pyrida, Geodus)
Fringe - Aggressive names that sound like the crackling of electricity. (Zrekrax, Xxoz)
Brunt - Short, barbaric "caveman" names. (Durhm, Vtharg)
Cortex - Noble-sounding, faux-latin names. (Remordius, Sulabra)

Humans - Regular human names that sound vaguely heroic. (Athena, Rex)
Shadow - Names with an air of mystery to them. (Ghul, Zrenna)
Legion - Names referencing militaristic terms and concepts. (Phalanx, Centurion)
Overlord - Threatening, over-the-top names. (Dark Harbinger, Firewielder)

Of course, suggestions for the as-yet unannounced races are based on my own assumptions, judging from their names and logos.

I like these! Thumbs up! :)

Valgor
05-01-2012, 06:51 PM
No, there can't be Talon crew members since Talon are ship sized beings.

Can they be chosen as a starting race?

Shadow
05-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Can they be chosen as a starting race?

No, although that's an amusing thought.

Delilah Rehm
05-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Holy creepers, you guys! I just want to hug all of you!!! :D

Delilah Rehm
05-17-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm getting close to finishing this. I've got the Shadow, Drakk and Utopian left. I want to do the Utopian today, but I want it to be a little more personable than RX753 and a little less sue-able than R2D2. :p

Bluddy
05-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Just a random idea: you could have each number/letter combo be a reference to something. Or at least some of them could be that way while others could be random. So you could have

BAL-99 (99 Balloons)
ANGR-12 (12 Angry Men)
MONK-12 (12 Monkeys)
LIF-42 (meaning of life)

etc

PixelLord
05-17-2012, 07:56 PM
For any of these you could try a few spoofs on previous sci-fi movies, books, and shows, for example: Utopian: R2 Threepio; Drakk: Baal (old Star Trek); and any others you can come up with. I think it would be hilarious! :D

Delilah Rehm
05-17-2012, 11:28 PM
I put in a bunch of physicists and the years they were born for utopian... until my eyes were bleeding. :rolleyes: I need to see it in game to see if I hate it. I might add more physics concepts with numbers. Maybe math stuff. I used up computer stuff on something else.

I did make up *&@! for the fringe, but I prefer using real things. I might try to find some sff lists for drakk. It depends what I run across. I have no ideas for shadow! Though I like Valgar's idea, but where to go from there? I guess I'm doing drakk tomorrow!!! :D

Delilah Rehm
05-17-2012, 11:30 PM
I liked your idea, Bluddy, but I'm not sure it would've stuck with the random generator. Maybe the physicist names won't make sense either. I'm not 100% sure I'm done with it.

Wakuseino
05-18-2012, 06:53 AM
I fully support letter-number references. Or some covert joke ones. Because you must admit that SM173 will always a smile to a person's face.

...Okay, I think I'll shut up before I figure out even worse names.

Valgor
05-18-2012, 10:52 AM
There's got to be a Shadow crewmember named Steven. It has to be done.

Roswitha
05-18-2012, 11:43 AM
I have no ideas for shadow! Though I like Valgar's idea, but where to go from there?

It might help if Steven were to post the racial description for the Shadow. :D

Shadow
05-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Small, stealthy Shadow are hard to find. These camouflage artists employ excellent planetside tactics and well skilled ambushes. Feisty demon-beings, Shadow will quickly change sides when itís to their advantage. They are hard to trust for a reason. Betrayal is in their nature, but there is no species better suited to the spy profession.

Amberjoy
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Shadow names, etc. could have hidden links/references to "Babylon 5". They had the 'Shadows' as the bad guys. Loved that series!

Waffles
05-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Just some ideas:

For the Drakk I was thinking something like Random unpleasant/scary word + animal body part/action could be fun, though slightly generic. Definitely room for funny ones:
Goretail, Bloodhorn, Fearspike, Painfang, Deathclaw, Gloomsnout, Havocroar, Terrorspine, etc.

The shadow could be names of famous killers/spies/assasins:
Booth, Bond, Oswald, Brutus, Widow, Elektra, Bourne, Powers, Hunt, etc.

Perhaps you've figured out utopian already, but math terms!:
Arctan, Arcsine, Axiom, Helix, Scalar, Torus, Vector, Secant, etc.

Roswitha
05-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Maybe each Shadow could be an Agent; e.g. Agent Steven. They could have Sub-Agents for the lower ranks and Supervisor (?) for the higher ranks.

Delilah Rehm
05-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Everytime I see a Shadow ship while watching Steven play, I think for a moment that's his ship! It never is though!!! :)

Delilah Rehm
05-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Just some ideas:

Perhaps you've figured out utopian already, but math terms!:
Arctan, Arcsine, Axiom, Helix, Scalar, Torus, Vector, Secant, etc.

Math names added. I will add more if you list them or link to a list. :)

Delilah Rehm
05-23-2012, 03:44 PM
I have had some weird stuff going on, so I'm just now getting to the last two lists. I can still add to any list until beta starts.

Delilah Rehm
05-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Just some ideas:

Goretail, Bloodhorn, Fearspike, Painfang, Deathclaw, Gloomsnout, Havocroar, Terrorspine, etc.

Drakk is looking really good, but if you put more of these together, I will add them. I mixed up what you had in many combos and added some other lists with hard sounds.

Delilah Rehm
05-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Shadow names, etc. could have hidden links/references to "Babylon 5". They had the 'Shadows' as the bad guys. Loved that series!

I loved this idea, but there aren't enough names in B5!!! I added other alien race names but this list is looking a little thin. What to do???

aReclusiveMind
05-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Math names added. I will add more if you list them or link to a list. :)

Hmm...I'll try to contribute a few options. Isosceles, Scalene, Ellipse, Convex, Concave, and Hypotenuse come to mind.

I loved this idea, but there aren't enough names in B5!!! I added other alien race names but this list is looking a little thin. What to do???

Hmm, since the Shadow seem to be following the famous doctrine known as "How to Smile and Shake hands... With a Knife Behind your Back," would it be too bold for them to use an obvious alias that that they have "cleverly" chosen to throw off their opponents? This is, of course, assuming we are using human English words for their names:

Examples I thought might work for their heroes/leaders: The Gentleman, The Noble, The Righteous, The Honest, The Chivalrous, The Distinguished, The Ethical, The Loyal, The Dependable, The Scrupulous, The Conscientious, The Moral, The Just, The Honorable.

See, they are using psychology to mess with our minds. I mean, how can we not trust these guys?!

If you wanted to you could add a name before the "The", such as some of the names suggested earlier in this thread. Or, you could try to convert their title into a name, something like Honestia, Chivalruse, Ethico, and
Scrupulos for instance.

Anyway, whatever direction you choose to go with your selections, good luck with the naming!!