PDA

View Full Version : DoP using Wine

AATLEMIDRM
01-17-2008, 05:21 PM
I downloaded the demo and tried it out under Wine on my Ubuntu machine. I had fun with the game, but I was getting a few strange graphical glitches. Items in my inventory weren't displaying icons, and the vendors in town looked like they were lacking skins. (In the computer sense, not the icky horror movie sense.) :)

I still enjoyed the game well enough to consider buying, but I was wondering if there was anyone running the full game in Linux who can vouch for it. I noticed that the version number of the demo is substantially below that of the full game right now. Anyone?

Shadow
01-17-2008, 06:04 PM
If it was just some of the icons and some of the skins, I would guess it was just some textures that we didn't include in the demo to keep the size down as much as possible and weren't expecting them to be used.

I have heard of others that have played under Wine without any problems.

AATLEMIDRM
01-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Thought I'd followup, particularly so that this wasn't left on a negative note.

I bought the full game anyway -- the 30 day guarantee helped :) -- and with the latest patch, I'm still running into the problem that the icons are loading slowly. Usually if I close and reopen the screen with the problem (a bag, or the skills screen, for instance) the icons will have populated correctly, and ever graphic glitch has resolved itself eventually. Really, it's no worse a glitch than many other games on Wine, and it seems to run fine otherwise.

I've just won my first game, and I have no plans to return the game. Thanks!

Kruztee
01-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Ah, good to hear that DoP runs in Wine.
I can confirm that it goes very well with a couple of beers, as well.