PDA

View Full Version : Solving quests in other than the suggested area

StealthBunny
01-18-2008, 04:34 PM
I've noticed that some quests I manage to solve in areas other than the suggested area. How is that determined? Sometimes it would just be a lot more convenient if I could solve something where I'm at rather than travel, if I knew how it worked.. if it's decided by level or which-what.

For example, I needed to bring back some Fire Totem splinters from the Red (oh, drat, I can't remember the name, but you know where I mean), but when I killed one in the High Desert, I got the points for it when I picked up the splinter. Since I could, I killed the rest of the Fire Totems I needed for splinters to finish that quest and didn't have to either gate back home and then over to Red Whatchamacallit, or take the long way and (gasp) WALK there.

Obviously, that would be more convenient if I could do that more often... if I knew how that was decided.

Shadow
01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
For the most part it depends on the intent of the quest giver. If they just want some tower splinters, they probably don't care where you find them. If they want you to quell an uprising of orcs in the Wastelands, then it doesn't really help if you kill an orc in the Black Forest.

Areli
01-18-2008, 09:42 PM
What about the next to last storyline quest to kill Draaien's army of Death Knights? Oftentimes I get this quest and am instructed to go kill fifteen or so death knights on the lower levels of Malevolent Maze in Black Forest. The only problem is, in order to get to these lower levels, I'm slaughtering five times as many death knights as the quest requires. By the time I've reached level three or five or wherever the quest says, I could have completed it a few times over on the upper levels.

I don't see much difference between having to kill a quantity of mobs on level one as compared to level five. I know other non-storyline quests have been more lenient with regard to the dungeon level on which you kill the specified mobs.

Shadow
01-18-2008, 10:31 PM
This is like an uprising. You are supposed to be killing a specific group of death knights, not just any random death knights.

(name here)
01-18-2008, 10:42 PM
To clarify: you killed a bunch of death knights who are not in the army. they don't MATTER, you are supposed to kill death knights in the army, which are on the last level

killerbeans
01-25-2008, 02:13 AM
I ran into this problem a few days ago while trying to kill the Sentries in one of the dungeon areas: I had to kill 4 of them. I killed about 30, and it kept telling me that I needed to kill 1 more in the quest. Eventually, I just gave up and decided to cancel the quest. Anyone else have that problem?

Areli
01-25-2008, 04:52 AM
concerning killerbeans post, go see this thread in the bugs section: can't finish quest.

http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331