PDA

View Full Version : Demo comments?

Shadow
08-17-2007, 07:01 PM
You've probably noticed that the demo is out now :) It seems to be going over fairly well so far. There seems to be only a few minor issues.

I'll remind everyone that we do listen to player feedback, so if you have any bugs, issues, constructive complaints, etc. please speak up.

dduke
08-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I like a lot the game, good graphic and fast fps.
Looks like Diablo meets Masters of Orion :eek:

I'm looking forward for the digital download!

Anyway I got some crash to desktop, it's strange that other covenants never accept a Trade about peace or traderoute, i can trade all the influeces from other covenants to my covenant and they like it:eek:, no 1920x1200 resolution I'm going try to edit the .cfg, are you planning on increasing the configuration options of the new world creation and pg creation?

Last but not least....why all the covenants are in the same zone of the map??

I like the "death is not the end" thing, fits well on that type of games.
So it's enough I think. Great game!

Shadow
08-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the forum dduke.

it's strange that other covenants never accept a Trade about peace or traderoute

It's been a while since I asked someone for peace, I'll have to make sure that it is still working ok. The other covenants will accept trade routes but they have to trust you enough (higher relation) and they have to be able to afford it, so they are kind of picky about them.

i can trade all the influeces from other covenants to my covenant and they like it:eek:

Yeah, that's a bug I'll be fixing soon.

No 1920x1200 resolution I'm going try to edit the .cfg,

I'm still trying to track down this bug. Are you using Vista also? Assuming your computer setup can do that resolution just change r_width to 1920 and r_height to 1200 and it should work fine.

are you planning on increasing the configuration options of the new world creation and pg creation?

I'm not at the moment. What exactly do you have in mind?

Last but not least....why all the covenants are in the same zone of the map??

Lots of reasons actually. It fits with the idea of barbarians fighting to the death to see who becomes the new leader. It's different than other games. I think it makes the game more tense because your enemies are right next door and you also have more skirmishes because you can accidently run into enemies in town. It also solves issues like you not being able to get to an enemy covenant because you can't get past the areas and monsters between your two covenants until you get to a certain level. And the list goes on. :)

dduke
08-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Welcome to the forum dduke.

Thanks it's worth being here

I'm still trying to track down this bug. Are you using Vista also? Assuming your computer setup can do that resolution just change r_width to 1920 and r_height to 1200 and it should work fine.

I have xp with sp2, cfg edit works but the result is a stretched image :( so I'm going to 1600x1200 and 1:1 setting or a minor 16:9 resolution.
Are you going to make full use of 16:10 resolutions?

about the customization: I'm not at the moment. What exactly do you have in mind?

More options like how many covenants, for example from 1 to 6 or a random option, the position of your covenant in the village, selecting through male and female.
I saw the characters are all in 3D so why not adding real visuals of the equipment worn? I think is far easiest then adding 2D sprites cause you don't have to make any single animation from the beginning.
There's a lot of work I know.

about the enemy/friend covenants loc.:....And the list goes on. :)

Got it, this explain the choice.

dduke
08-18-2007, 07:10 AM
I forgot it's intentional that i can cast while moving?
There's no animation, the char simply skates while casting.
And the party npcs cast while standing still.

I've made a mage only

Shadow
08-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I have xp with sp2, cfg edit works but the result is a stretched image :( so I'm going to 1600x1200 and 1:1 setting or a minor 16:9 resolution.
Are you going to make full use of 16:10 resolutions?

Actually I'm surprised that it was stretched in the demo. I'll have to look at our 16:10 support. You are running on a widescreen monitor, right?

More options like how many covenants, for example from 1 to 6 or a random option, the position of your covenant in the village, selecting through male and female.
I saw the characters are all in 3D so why not adding real visuals of the equipment worn? I think is far easiest then adding 2D sprites cause you don't have to make any single animation from the beginning.
There's a lot of work I know.

We could probably add a number of covenants option without too much difficulty.

Male and female selections isn't really feasible at the moment unfortunately. It's a lot more modeling/animation work.

You should be getting real visuals of most of the equipment that is worn. Boots, leggings, chest prieces, wrists, gloves, shoulders, helmets, weapons, and shields should all show up on your character.

There's no animation, the char simply skates while casting.
And the party npcs cast while standing still.

Yes it's intentional. It is one of those things that I choose to do because it is more fun that way, despite looking kind of foolish.

Vas
08-18-2007, 11:53 AM

well i love getting chased by a horde of monsters (that would rip my mage appart in seconds if he would stand still) while spaming sweeping flames and frost nova ;)

dduke
08-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Actually I'm surprised that it was stretched in the demo. I'll have to look at our 16:10 support. You are running on a widescreen monitor, right?

Dell 2405fpw 16:10 1920x1200 max res at 60hz
Yes indeed:D

Shadow
08-18-2007, 07:46 PM
That's definitely widescreen alright, wish I had one of those :)

Tirium
08-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Will we be able to use our characters from the demo, in the full version?

Shadow
08-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Dell 2405fpw 16:10 1920x1200 max res at 60hz
Yes indeed:D

I mentioned this in another thread but I did figure out what was wrong and it is now fixed. It doesn't help you guys for the demo, but it should work fine in the full release.

Will we be able to use our characters from the demo, in the full version?

Welcome to the forums Tirium. The characters should come over to the full version fine.

LDiCesare
08-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Hello,
A few quick comments on the demo.

First of all, it is a pleasant game, although it's a bit fast for me, but I guess it's because I have to learn it first.

The default keyboard bindings are on a qwerty keyboard and don't recognize the keyboard. For instance, on an AZERTY keyboard, Quest is on A and Weapon is on Z, and Map on , . Not much of a problem for those who know the qwerty layout by heart, but can be annoying nonetheless. Checking keyboard layout would be nice.

Also, I'm not sure whether the game pauses when reading tomes/background stories? I think it doesn't but I may be mistaken, and it definitely should.
Generally speaking, the PAUSED information doesn't seem to appear when dealing with covenants, but I think the game's paused too at that time? The PAUSED text can also overlap with underlying text, which is a bit annoying sometimes.

I'm not sure how to get good relations with other covenants, and I have some trouble finding out easily how much influence I have and what I am earning.

Last, as a warrior, it seems I have to click for every strike rather than keep the button pressed while targetting my opponent, and this is EVIL. I may have been using a slow weapon, but I think I have to click-fest, something which DiabloII managed to avoid (somewhat).

Shadow
08-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey LDiCesare, welcome to the forums.

The default keyboard bindings are on a qwerty keyboard and don't recognize the keyboard. For instance, on an AZERTY keyboard, Quest is on A and Weapon is on Z, and Map on , . Not much of a problem for those who know the qwerty layout by heart, but can be annoying nonetheless. Checking keyboard layout would be nice.

So you have to actually hit A to open the quest screen? Does it say A on the keyboard options page?

Also, I'm not sure whether the game pauses when reading tomes/background stories? I think it doesn't but I may be mistaken, and it definitely should.
Generally speaking, the PAUSED information doesn't seem to appear when dealing with covenants, but I think the game's paused too at that time? The PAUSED text can also overlap with underlying text, which is a bit annoying sometimes.

The game should pause when reading the stories. The game also pauses when you talk to the other covenants or have the world map up, but the demo doesn't tell you this in any way. I've changed this though, so in the full game it actually tells you it is paused in these cases.

I'm not sure how to get good relations with other covenants, and I have some trouble finding out easily how much influence I have and what I am earning.

There are some other hints on the forums but in general pick a couple of the covenants and trade with them a lot or just give them things (items, money, influence, and/or crystals).

There are a few places you can see how much influence and crystals you have and how much taxes you are bringing in. The easiest way to see your influence is by choosing the trade option with any of the other covenants. You easiest way to see your crystals and taxes is by opening your house layout.

If you are referring to how much a certain covenant likes you just hover the mouse cursor over their covenant picture on the relations page and it will tell you how much they like you.

Last, as a warrior, it seems I have to click for every strike rather than keep the button pressed while targetting my opponent, and this is EVIL. I may have been using a slow weapon, but I think I have to click-fest, something which DiabloII managed to avoid (somewhat).

Once you left click on an enemy to attack them it should keep attacking until one of you is dead. You do have to press a key for each skill you want to use but the normal attack should be automatic.

LDiCesare
08-30-2007, 03:00 PM
So you have to actually hit A to open the quest screen? Does it say A on the keyboard options page?
When I press A, it prints Q.
Another bug that may be related. I cannot name my character with a capital letter, as shift-H will result in h instead of H. Same for covenant name: I can be hurdr of the ice bears but not Hurdr of the Ice Bears.

I also just got a crash when trying to move an item from a slot (food in slot 4) to another slot (slot 9), by dragging it from slot4 to slot 9 and dropping it there.

Once you left click on an enemy to attack them it should keep attacking until one of you is dead. You do have to press a key for each skill you want to use but the normal attack should be automatic.
Good. I suppose I was using a slow weapon or should have hit 1 to switch back from skill to regular attack.

Shadow
08-30-2007, 03:09 PM
When I press A, it prints Q.
Another bug that may be related. I cannot name my character with a capital letter, as shift-H will result in h instead of H. Same for covenant name: I can be hurdr of the ice bears but not Hurdr of the Ice Bears.

Ok, I'll look into this.

I also just got a crash when trying to move an item from a slot (food in slot 4) to another slot (slot 9), by dragging it from slot4 to slot 9 and dropping it there.

That's also very strange since moving items has been tested to death by now. Although it could easily have been something else and just strange timing.

Good. I suppose I was using a slow weapon or should have hit 1 to switch back from skill to regular attack.

You shouldn't even have to re-hit 1 when using skills. He should continue to do the normal attacks even if you are using skills.

LDiCesare
08-30-2007, 05:40 PM
You shouldn't even have to re-hit 1 when using skills. He should continue to do the normal attacks even if you are using skills.
Yes, that's working now. I suppose I just had a slow weapon (2h sword) and it seemed like forever between strikes.

LDiCesare
08-30-2007, 06:10 PM
While I'm at it, if I somehow alt-tab out of the game (e.g. antivirus pops up to say hi, I just updated myself), then when I come back into the game, the displayed area is lowered so at first I only see the top of the screen in the bottom of my screen (like everything has been translated 500 pixels downward).

Shadow
08-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I know about the alt-tab problem in demo. :( I finally fixed that yesterday though, so it shouldn't be a problem in the final game.

Shadow
08-31-2007, 05:16 PM

Ok, I'm probably not doing this the correct way, but for now I added in an option in the game to support the AZERTY keyboard layout. So far I have it flipping Q/A, W/Z, and ;/M. It sounds like tab and shift need to be remapped also. Do you know what these need to be remapped to and is there any other keys that need to be fixed?

LDiCesare
09-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Ugly hack ;)
, and m are changed. Shifts normally shouldn't change. Actually, the figures are also different but they're ok the way you set them up (1 on azerty is the same as on qwerty except you have to hit shift which'd be really painful for a shortcut). What api do you use for keyboard capture? I never had problems with them but usually worked on top of something (mfc, qt or in java).

Another small bug. It's quite common to have items blocked form any path. That's pretty annoying when the blocked item is the path to another level where many quests are supposed to take place (see screenchot).

LDiCesare
09-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Also, although I managed to get the name on the screenshot to start with a capital letter, I had to use random names till I found one starting with L and then edit it.
As for covenant names, I think there's a limit in number of characters that's too low. I tried to be 'emerald bears' and couldn't.

Also, some quests seem to be duplicated. For instance, I had to retrieve gravestones. 2 quests: 10 and 11 gravestones or something such. I finish the first quest, I want to start on the second before returning to Jorvik. I can indeed pick up gravestones, but they don't count against the second quest and seem to be lost. It'd probably be better to have the quest only once in the first place (and easier to fix too?) or make the graveyards/items picked up count for the second quest when the forst one's completed, even though it's not solved yet.

Shadow
09-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Ugly hack ;)
, and m are changed. Shifts normally shouldn't change. Actually, the figures are also different but they're ok the way you set them up (1 on azerty is the same as on qwerty except you have to hit shift which'd be really painful for a shortcut). What api do you use for keyboard capture? I never had problems with them but usually worked on top of something (mfc, qt or in java).

Ok, now M and , are flipped. Yeah, eventually I'll figure out the "correct" way to do this, but we are going to ship soon, this way works, and is unlikely to break anything :)

The keyboard stuff uses DirectInput. Unfortunately, when you hit the letter Q, my code receives a DIK_A from windows.

Another small bug. It's quite common to have items blocked form any path. That's pretty annoying when the blocked item is the path to another level where many quests are supposed to take place (see screenchot).

I'll fix this. This screenshot is extremely helpful btw.

Shadow
09-01-2007, 10:48 AM
As for covenant names, I think there's a limit in number of characters that's too low. I tried to be 'emerald bears' and couldn't.

I increased this from 12 to 15.

Also, some quests seem to be duplicated. For instance, I had to retrieve gravestones. 2 quests: 10 and 11 gravestones or something such. I finish the first quest, I want to start on the second before returning to Jorvik. I can indeed pick up gravestones, but they don't count against the second quest and seem to be lost. It'd probably be better to have the quest only once in the first place (and easier to fix too?) or make the graveyards/items picked up count for the second quest when the forst one's completed, even though it's not solved yet.

Usually if you have 2 quests to pick up items, the 2nd quest will work as you expected. In this case, this is one of the storyline quests and works differently, but you aren't supposed to have 2 of them. This should be fixed now though.

LDiCesare
09-01-2007, 10:57 AM
This screenshot is extremely helpful btw.
Glad to help :)

Pladio
09-01-2007, 04:51 PM
I have an AZERTY keyboard as well. I just changed the configuration in the Keyboard settings. It's never been a big problem for me as long as I could change the keyboard settings in games. I've only had problems with games where that wasn't possible.

LDiCesare
09-02-2007, 02:32 PM
I read a bit about DirectInput. It just ignores all your settings as far as keyboard and mouse are concerned. It's mightily stupid and makes DirectInput totally unpractical to manage keyboards.
Just to make things clear, az and qw are swapped. The qwerty M is the azerty, and the azerty M is the qwerty ; Other keys also differ, but these are the most important ones. I don't get it why my shift doesn't work, but since I use a laptop, I suspect DirectInput may also have trouble with these.
I'm so happy I didn't use DirectInput but older api's if the code dealing with joystick is as silly as the one for keyboards.

Pladio
09-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Did you try the shift button on another laptop or PC ? It could just be something wrong with your shift key ? You could even try pushing the other shift key (if you're using the left one, then try the right one and vice versa).

Pladio
09-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Alright. I started playing a Priest, but I wanted some kind of challenge so I put the aggressivity level to high and gave the other covenants a higher level. I got my *** whooped by the strongest covenant. I'm not sure if it's because of the difficulty level or because I have no idea how to play with priests, but really that was quite hard. There's also the problem not being able to get stronger after lvl 7... :(