PDA

View Full Version : Feedback

Roswitha
06-14-2012, 01:33 PM
EDIT: Looks like Lyranaar and I made simultaneous threads. Maybe add mine to his, since he put the version number.

Hooray! Drox is in beta!

So I played about 5 minutes of Drox Operative and I have a few suggestions.

I liked the graphics in the opening scenes, but I found the Cool Dude voice to be very annoying (Apologies to Torikamal, I think). It might help if you dropped his voice a couple of octaves. Also, instead of drawling "They failed," try saying it like a pair of drum beats.

The ship creation screen was fairly similar to Din's Curse, so no problems. It might be nice to include the race picture too.

The music was great. The background was very impressive. :)

My main question after looking at the stashes and the gate was "What am I supposed to do?" The tool tips explained how things worked, but none of them told me what to do next.

A ship flew by and I wanted to know what it was, so I clicked on it and promptly shot it down. I clicked on something else, my ship flew over to investigate and the thing blew up. It would help if I could mouse over things to find out what they are; at least at the beginning.

It might help if there was a tool tip the first time you entered a dimensional pocket. I liked the blinking icon that told me I was heading into empty space, as well as the helpful star to lead me back.

Looks great. Well worth waiting for. :)

DeathKnight1728
06-14-2012, 03:00 PM
-The only real thing that i found to be fixed so far (that matters at least to me) is the character screen doesnt pause when you click it. You have to manually pause the game unlike in dins.

Shadow
06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
-The only real thing that i found to be fixed so far (that matters at least to me) is the character screen doesnt pause when you click it. You have to manually pause the game unlike in dins.

I changed that for a very specific reason, but for the life of me I can't actually remember why.

PixelLord
06-14-2012, 03:26 PM
I changed that for a very specific reason, but for the life of me I can't actually remember why.

Well, it was Delilah's idea? I liked it because I could now identify items in my inventory while the character screen was up.

torikamal
06-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Maybe this could be an option that could be toggled?

Shadow
06-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh, I think I might know what it was. It's pretty common to equip items with the character screen up, but seeing your stats change doesn't work when the game is paused and it takes a few seconds to install a new component.

Mivo
06-15-2012, 08:57 AM
My main question after looking at the stashes and the gate was "What am I supposed to do?" The tool tips explained how things worked, but none of them told me what to do next.

I felt similarly lost. I think it's because unlike in games with e.g. a fantasy setting, there's no road to follow, no town exit to go through, no land marks to orient by -- just wide, open space, and it's all covered by fog of war.

Maybe a solution would be to have the first quest location marked and uncovered by the fog. This would give players something specific to do and an opportunity to familiarize themselves with the controls (without feeling overwhelmed by the question what to actually do).

Perhaps there could be an enemy ship on the way that drops a better engine, to address the problem with the slowness issue. That'd be as far as I'd go with predetermined events, though.