PDA

View Full Version : Early feedback (0.900)

Mivo
06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Some initial impressions and thoughts that popped up during the first hour of playing:

- When naming the ship, the US keyboard layout is used even on non-US keyboards. Few minutes later: Actually, the same applies to the in-game hot keys (Y for shipyard is Z on a German keyboard).

- Rotating ships in the creation screen is slow. Intuitively, I tried to mouse-grab the ship and turn it, which didn't work. :) (Also stutters after clicking and holding an arrow button.)

- Galaxy map: When zooming/using mouse wheel, the background stars don't move, just the sector. Could benefit from a bit eye candy (the large map in general).

- First time opening the relations screen, there is a "?" that overlays the race symbol at bottom, but when clicked, opens the race information screen, not a help text. Unclear about its meaning. 10 minutes later: Ah, this is a quest marker! Suggestion: Help prompts and quests should use different symbols or at least different colours.

- In the inventory screen, there is a "pay crew" button. When clicked, I'm asked which crew to pay. Confused about what to do; also, how does one see crew happiness? (I clicked on a components section, which made the cursor change back to normal -- but there was no feedback of any kind.)

- Quest screen at the start is empty and says to active quests -- "go get one!". Maybe some blurb here on HOW to get one? Or a quest to go to the relations screen and pick one up.

- When talking to a quest giver and there are multiple quests, one is in green text and the others in red. My initial feeling here was that the green one is easy and the others are harder. Turned out that the green one is the one that the quest text is about. Suggestion: Use the same text colour, but have a different background colour for the "active" quest to highlight it.

- Suggestion: An indicator whether the loot display key (alt) is toggled.

- Suggestion: Would like a notification in the text field about the item I just picked up. Same for quest rewards.

- The docked, friendly NPC ships seem to cuddle with one another and overlap each other. Would be cute if they were kittens, but they are space ships!

- Clicked an anomaly and was transferred to another sector (text disappeared too fast to read), and I was greeted by 5-6 enemy ships that were higher level and that killed me within seconds. Stair traps are not cool! :) Rspawned at the home jump gate, and apparently there is no way back to where I died.

- I really like the ship graphics and the effects. Good job on those! I agree with the other poster who mentioned that at the start ships seem too slow. (Also made me want to use a gamepad.) Maybe a little more thrust?

- Loved the intro! Graphics and sound quality definitely improved.

- Opinion: Wasn't fond of things that look like they could be attacked or picked up, but that aren't targetable and blow up when you get close. Would like to be able to shoot the debris. :)

- Opinion: Would prefer red for the structure indicator. It's more consistent with the colour of health bars in other games of the genre. Blue signals "mana".

Overall first impression: It's fun!

Mivo
06-14-2012, 06:20 PM
More small stuff: In windowed mode, the game doesn't remember the last position of the window when restarting the program (always positions the window at 0.0, upper left corner). Not a big deal, though.

LudocracyNow
06-14-2012, 06:28 PM
The text for the Anomalies that transport you are: The anomaly is an unstable wormhole! Or some such. I had a sector filled with anomalies and was flying between sectors left and right--often into a trap.

viper34j
06-14-2012, 07:48 PM
- Opinion: Would prefer red for the structure indicator. It's more consistent with the colour of health bars in other games of the genre. Blue signals "mana".

I agree with most everything you said. However, I disagree enough with this enough that I thought I'd give my opinion.

Deviating from the norms of other ARPGs is what soldak is all about, and with a space variant this time, thats even more so. Please Steven, don't do anything just because its what Blizzard (or X Developer) does.

But I do agree that maybe blue is a bit too "mana-like".

goodgimp
06-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Isn't green/red a no-no from a color blind standpoint anyway?

Shadow
06-15-2012, 04:20 PM
- When naming the ship, the US keyboard layout is used even on non-US keyboards. Few minutes later: Actually, the same applies to the in-game hot keys (Y for shipyard is Z on a German keyboard).

There are some different keyboard layouts you can select in the options.

DeathKnight1728
06-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I was thinking of the traits that each race gets in game. Would it be possible shadow if the traits that your d-operative gets be something that can affect them in the game. For example, what would be cool would not be so it hinders your character from doing anything, but make more possibilities for a char based on race. Some races have ruthless/diplomatic, wouldnt that be cool if you can gain a small bonus something to sabotage/rumor negative effect just as you get a diplomatic bonus if you want to make a pacifier or character that is better at diplomacy. I think this would be awesome for drox.

Would that be possible shadow or would it be a real pain to program.