PDA

View Full Version : Sound Advice: Drox Operative

torikamal
06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Hi Folks,
I figured I would start this thread off right off the bat to start to compile audio feedback for Drox Operative.

Now we most likely won't be able to get to everything, but getting a sense of what a majority of people feel about certain audio aspects will help us to prioritize changes.

It's especially helpful when we get specific examples, followed by ideas for improvement. Additionally, (and this goes for any area), it helps us to know what is working particularly well so that we can make sure to capitalize on that currently and in the future.

And don't worry about hurting my feelings--I can take it :) Just want it to be the best game we can make!

torikamal
06-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm pulling in some specific audio stuff from other threads:

Roswitha:
"I liked the graphics in the opening scenes, but I found the Cool Dude voice to be very annoying (Apologies to Torikamal, I think). It might help if you dropped his voice a couple of octaves. Also, instead of drawling "They failed," try saying it like a pair of drum beats.

The music was great. The background was very impressive. "

Castruccio
I agree with Rosawitha's earlier post about the intro voice, though. While the intro itself is a fantastic addition, the voice is a bit over the top (the guy sounds too cool for his own good, or like the front man of a horrible pop band, and it makes me want to punch him).

I definitely appreciate the feedback, folks! So to me, this soon, means I've definitely got to come up with a new voice for "El Capitan". This is actually the third different voice I've tried--and I've actually found it quite tricky because the script is sort of a balance between tongue-in-cheek cockiness, and epic drama, but it's clearly a balance I haven't found yet. Any Youtube/Sound Cloud/etc... examples of a voice/style you think I should try for this role would be awesome.

Keep up the feedback!

Mivo
06-14-2012, 03:33 PM
I didn't feel that the voice was too cocky -- he sounded like a space cowboy to me, and I thought that was quite appropriate for the game. I did, however, think that he sounded a little young. A deeper voice might be a better pick here, but the "attitude" expressed seemed quite right to me.

Lyranaar
06-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi there,

first of all: great work on the music! Nice feature to have different themes in the the ship creation! And huge respect for taking criticism not too personal. Especially after putting so much passion and work into it.

I agree with the other posters on the intro voiceover though. My suggestion would be to use less accent and a darker and deeper voice for it.

The best thing that comes to mind (while of course absolutely a matter of taste) is this voice type and style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwANFc7D1ac

Yes, I know who sounds like that. Not sure though if everyone likes Riddick style. :)

torikamal
06-14-2012, 03:39 PM
By the way, I do have a key-frame mistake in the intro--you can see a black line where I pulled the motion down too far at the end of the Starlane image. I'll get that fixed eventually, but consider that a known issue (oopsy!)

kerzain
06-16-2012, 04:33 AM
Just a quick note: I'm finding all of the sounds in the game to be apt so far. I especially like the damage over time sounds, as well as the warning sounds for going too far outside a sector. They all remind me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind in a way (and even Jaws in some aspects, hah), and I dig it. Although I think I could do with a change to the coin sound when looting credits (I wouldn't mind if credits were just transferred to an account, rather than requiring an actual pickup, but I digress), that seems to go along with the fact there's actual cash money showing up in space, so I guess it's fitting in that context!

However, the reason for this post is to bring up the Angelic sort of choir sound that occurs when a member of your alliance declares war, thus dragging you into it. This angelic choir-like sound effect sounds very distorted and clipped, giving sort of a Loudness Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_wars) vibe. I don't know if there's a way to fix this, but as it stands it a bit hard to listen to when wearing headphones, as it makes it sound like the speakers are blown.

alstein
06-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Maybe try a female voice?

I can really tell that Din's did well by the increase in production values across the board here in Drox. Still trying to get a hang of the pacing and what I'm supposed to be doing in comparison to Din's, and wondering if there are pacing issues, but this game looks good.

Lyranaar
06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
The hammering sound when repairing feels not fitting. It should be a much heavier deeper sound. Like hitting a heavy hull.

The "you won game" music is great!

rune_74
06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm pulling in some specific audio stuff from other threads:

Roswitha:
"I liked the graphics in the opening scenes, but I found the Cool Dude voice to be very annoying (Apologies to Torikamal, I think). It might help if you dropped his voice a couple of octaves. Also, instead of drawling "They failed," try saying it like a pair of drum beats.

The music was great. The background was very impressive. "

Castruccio
I agree with Rosawitha's earlier post about the intro voice, though. While the intro itself is a fantastic addition, the voice is a bit over the top (the guy sounds too cool for his own good, or like the front man of a horrible pop band, and it makes me want to punch him).

I definitely appreciate the feedback, folks! So to me, this soon, means I've definitely got to come up with a new voice for "El Capitan". This is actually the third different voice I've tried--and I've actually found it quite tricky because the script is sort of a balance between tongue-in-cheek cockiness, and epic drama, but it's clearly a balance I haven't found yet. Any Youtube/Sound Cloud/etc... examples of a voice/style you think I should try for this role would be awesome.

Keep up the feedback!

Just got the game today...but if I was to think of a voice I would use something like the captain of serenty in firefly...a western cockiness.

Jinsai
06-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Personally I did not care for the "you won" music. Didn't fit with the epic sci-fi theme. But I'm a musician myself, and really picky about in-game music. I usually turn it off.

There are a lot of sound effects recycled from Din's Curse, which I found a little distracting - I associate them with a whole different universe.

For things like the radiation burn, I'd prefer not to have the sounds randomly pitch-shift. I think a steady alarm is a better sound for that.

kerzain
06-17-2012, 10:23 PM
However, the reason for this post is to bring up the Angelic sort of choir sound that occurs when a member of your alliance declares war, thus dragging you into it. This angelic choir-like sound effect sounds very distorted and clipped, giving sort of a Loudness Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_wars) vibe. I don't know if there's a way to fix this, but as it stands it a bit hard to listen to when wearing headphones, as it makes it sound like the speakers are blown.
Replying to my own post here because much of it applies to what I'm about to say as well. I'm finding all the lower end bass stuff, like explosions during combat especially, to sound exceptionally clipped, staticy, compressed and/or distorted.

Since I'm the only person that has mentioned it I've wondered if the problem is unique to my system, so I've tried both the Direct 3D and MMSYSTEM audio options available for my system, and I've checked my audio drivers to make sure they aren't out of date, but this distortion persists. It's especially distracting to me because I play wearing headphones exclusively, and at a reasonable volume. Just a head's up in case there's something that can be done.

Chumpy
06-17-2012, 10:43 PM
I like the intro voice.

Reefpirate
06-17-2012, 10:44 PM
I like the intro voice.

Lol I like it too. :)

torikamal
06-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Replying to my own post here because much of it applies to what I'm about to say as well. I'm finding all the lower end bass stuff, like explosions during combat especially, to sound exceptionally clipped, staticy, compressed and/or distorted.

Since I'm the only person that has mentioned it I've wondered if the problem is unique to my system, so I've tried both the Direct 3D and MMSYSTEM audio options available for my system, and I've checked my audio drivers to make sure they aren't out of date, but this distortion persists. It's especially distracting to me because I play wearing headphones exclusively, and at a reasonable volume. Just a head's up in case there's something that can be done.

Hi Kerzain, I've got an experiment for you to try. If you go into the assets\sounds\environment\explosions directory and play back some of the explosion files, do you still get that clipping sound? I did apply some distortion to the sounds to make them sound more explodey, but none of them should actually be clipped. Let me know how they sound then.

I will be doing more posts tomorrow. Thank you for your ideas/critiques, everybody!

kerzain
06-17-2012, 11:39 PM
I listened to all of them, and I think it's Explosion10 that's the worst offender (the beginning of it), and probably the one that's been standing out.

torikamal
06-19-2012, 12:34 AM
I listened to all of them, and I think it's Explosion10 that's the worst offender (the beginning of it), and probably the one that's been standing out.

OK, so that's one of the explosions I applied a good amount of distortion to. On the one hand to make it sound quite a bit different than the other explosions, and on the other hand to simulate the effect of what your ears would "hear" if you were that close to an explosion of that size. Since they can't handle the amplitude, it would distort on you. I rather like the sound, but I totally understand if it's not your bag, and I don't want you to be annoyed by such a fundamental sound, so here's something you can do (that should work). Mod time! But super easy.

First, just pick one of your favorite explosion sounds from the existing ones there.
Now my file structure looks a bit different than yours--I think I wrote it how it would look for you, but if not, you may have to retype a little bit, but go to the existing install area, and create the following new file structure:

C:\Program Files\Drox Operative\Assets\sounds\environment\

The underlined stuff would be the new folders you would like have to create. Next, just plop the explosion you like into that folder and name it exactly the same as the one you want to replace. This should override the sound everytime Drox boots up, and if you ever want to remove the mod, you can just delete the file.

It's been a while since my last mod, so if this doesn't work, my apologies, but you should be able to do this with any sound in the game--you just have to make sure to match the path and file name. You can add your own custom-built sounds in, if you'd like!

Let me know if that doesn't work.

torikamal
06-19-2012, 12:37 AM
For things like the radiation burn, I'd prefer not to have the sounds randomly pitch-shift. I think a steady alarm is a better sound for that.

By the radiation burn, do you mean the buzzy type sound effect? If so, that's actually the sound effect for your shields getting hit by anything right now. DOTs will trigger that continually unless you are out of shields. I only bring that up to point out that it would be more complicated than removing the pitch variation, since the radiation effect is triggering the shield sound.

But if it's really buggin you, I suggest a quick bit of modding--Soldak is all about customization!

First, find the file ShieldHit.snd, which I believe is in a zip file which should be in a directory structure like this (might look a little different because my build is different):
C:\Program Files\Drox Operative\Assets\sounds\combat\

So kind of like the reference to the explosion above, you'll need to create folders in this directory structure:
C:\Program Files\Drox Operative\Assets\sounds\combat\

Then just copy ShieldHit.snd into the combat folder and open it up with Notepad. You can have fun messing with the variables, but to get rid of the pitch change, just delete the line below.

sound "Sounds/Combat/ShieldHit.wav"
Volume 0.8
VolumeVariation 0.1
Pitch 1.0
PitchVariation 0.2 <-----delete me if you don't like me!

ShaggyMoose
06-19-2012, 09:39 AM
My favorite music is the "you just blew away a bunch of guys" music.

ShaggyMoose
06-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Did the music change subtley with 0.903? Or I am just imagining things?

Von Paulus
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Honestly, I don't like any of the music game. It's a question of style, I think.
However I do love the ambient loops, and I think they fit very well to this game.
I prefer New Age, or Brian Eno and Tangerine Dream for SF games.

About the intro voice, in my opinion it should be more deep, more like Picard.

Sound effects are OK, for my standards.
Don't feel the explosions too much distorted. I create some sound mods for a couple of wargames, so I guess that I'm used to that. ;)

I play the game, only with the ambient loops and sound effects enabled.

Keep up the good work.:)

Lyranaar
06-25-2012, 10:02 AM

You, know, such things happen to all of us after a long time lonely in space... :)

Sorry, couldn't help it. :) But I asked myself this at one time.

Shadow
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM

We didn't change anything with the music in 0.903, at least on purpose. :)

fotan
06-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Firstly I think it's the best music of any Soldak game.

Secondly I want the teleporters to have a more digital electrical BOOM noise when you use it to differentiate from earlier soldak games.

Also the * plink * noise when new information pops up, like alerts of someone starting a war or whatever else could be a little less loud and in your face. The reason being, you hear the noise almost constantly.

ShaggyMoose
06-26-2012, 07:55 AM
We didn't change anything with the music in 0.903, at least on purpose. :)

You, know, such things happen to all of us after a long time lonely in space... :)

Sorry, couldn't help it. :) But I asked myself this at one time.
Ahhh, so its the space madness then. :(

Waffles
06-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks a ton for hopping on here and asking for feedback!

The gameWon music is overwhelming (in a negative way). It's overall too loud for a 'goes on for 10 second sound effect', and the synth is too loud throughout (especially at the beginning!). The guitar's combination of quick strumming the same note and heavy distortion sounds like clipping/unintended distortion when you only hear the sound once every three plus hours. I think the basis of it is really nice, it just needs to be toned down because an unexpecting ear isn't ready for the level of intensity.

torikamal
06-29-2012, 05:20 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know that I absolutely and completely appreciate the feedback--keep it rollin on in.

Sorry, I was absent for a while. Finally put together my new computer and have most of the software re-installed, so I'm getting back to a good place.

Next week, I'll be starting on fiddling with the voice a bit, and probably post some sound samples, using the advice everyone has given, and see what you guys like the best.