PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

Valgor
06-15-2012, 07:17 AM
I've been playing my first real game of Drox today, and here's my initial impressions (based on version 0.900) :

Let me get this out of the way first - Drox is a gorgeous looking game, easily sporting the best graphics in any Soldak release to date, both heads and shoulders above those of Din's Curse.

So far, I've got only two complaints about the gameplay :

1. Drox has a very steep learning curve. The world moves fast, even at slower paces, things happen everywhere at once and most of the time, I couldn't decide which task to tackle first.
I guess that's where I have to learn to make those critical decisions. While I appreciate the challenge, new players yet unfamiliar with Soldak's kind of dynamism might be turned away
by the game's unrelenting pace.

2. Crew points - how should I spend them? Each time my ship levels up, I found myself at a loss on how to distribute them without wasting any.
I feel compelled to just hoard them for when the next big upgrade to my equipment comes around, but clearly, that's not the way it's supposed to be.

Overall, I think the game is a lot busier than both DoP or Din's Curse, and a lot more difficult as well.

Next up is my current list of minor nit-picks :

- Only on the very first start-up, the font for the tooltips on the Advanced Graphics Options screen is still the old one from the previous games, 'Gentium' .
- The tooltip for Show Damage Numbers says "npc" instead of "NPC" .
- The tooltip for Can Shake Screen still refers to "earthquakes" .
- Racial traits should display at the top of the race's description text.
- The star system border on the minimap should be made more visible, maybe with a thin red line.
- Uninstalled components should be automatically removed from the skill bar and right click slots, or at least tinted red to show they can no longer be used.

And finally, some suggestions :

- Add an option to disable the intro movie.
- Add an option to show the star location indicator (the one that appears when the player flies beyond a system's border) at all times for a better sense of direction.
- Add the ability to place nav markers on the system map that show up as indicator along the edge of the game screen or minimap.

PixelLord
06-15-2012, 07:48 AM
I've been playing my first real game of Drox today, and here's my initial impressions (based on version 0.900) :

Let me get this out of the way first - Drox is a gorgeous looking game, easily sporting the best graphics in any Soldak release to date, both heads and shoulders above those of Din's Curse.

So far, I've got only two complaints about the gameplay :

1. Drox has a very steep learning curve. The world moves fast, even at slower paces, things happen everywhere at once and most of the time, I couldn't decide which task to tackle first.
I guess that's where I have to learn to make those critical decisions. While I appreciate the challenge, new players yet unfamiliar with Soldak's kind of dynamism might be turned away

2. Crew points - how should I spend them? Each time my ship levels up, I found myself at a loss on how to distribute them without wasting any.
I feel compelled to just hoard them for when the next big upgrade to my equipment comes around, but clearly, that's not the way it's supposed to be.

Overall, I think the game is a lot busier than both DoP or Din's Curse, and a lot more difficult as well.

Next up is my current list of minor nit-picks :

- Only on the very first start-up, the font for the tooltips on the Advanced Graphics Options screen is still the old one from the previous games, 'Gentium' .
- The tooltip for Show Damage Numbers says "npc" instead of "NPC" .
- The tooltip for Can Shake Screen still refers to "earthquakes" .
- Racial traits should display at the top of the race's description text.
- The star system border on the minimap should be made more visible, maybe with a thin red line.
- Uninstalled components should be automatically removed from the skill bar and right click slots, or at least tinted red to show they can no longer be used.

And finally, some suggestions :

- Add an option to disable the intro movie.
- Add an option to show the star location indicator (the one that appears when the player flies beyond a system's border) at all times for a better sense of direction.
- Add the ability to place nav markers on the system map that show up as indicator along the edge of the game screen or minimap.

I agree with most everything you said (especially that first comment ;) ) I think the last suggestion is already implemented. Right click somewhere on the star system map to place a waypoint and it shows up on your minimap.

snow
06-15-2012, 08:51 AM
I'd like to see a better visual distinction between the heavy/med/light slots. For something like Dins Curse, it's obvious (helmet/boots). Here, I have to mouse-over, and scan the huge block of text to find which slot a module fits.

Also, shooting mines would be good. Mines blowing up NPCs would be good too (I don't think this happens). Are NPCs affected by gravity wells?

The option to have direction indicators to either clicked waypoints - or just discovered objects in the system would be a godsend. At the moment the minimap has no landmarks that can be used for orientation (Dins curse, you could recognise the shapes of corridors for example). So it becomes a case of flipping to the system map frequently to try and get a bearing on the next destination. Also, making your green blob on the system map more visible would be good. There've been many times I've simply been unable to locate my position.

Valgor
06-15-2012, 09:56 AM
I agree with most everything you said (especially that first comment ;) )

This goes to show that games don't need to push the latest graphics technologies to look amazing. The good ol' Soldak engine is still doing fine.

I think the last suggestion is already implemented. Right click somewhere on the star system map to place a waypoint and it shows up on your minimap.

Thanks. If it works like I sugggested, then all is well.

@snow, the corners of any component's icon are color-coded to indicate which slot type it goes into.

NefariousKoel
06-15-2012, 03:06 PM
I'd like to see a better visual distinction between the heavy/med/light slots. For something like Dins Curse, it's obvious (helmet/boots). Here, I have to mouse-over, and scan the huge block of text to find which slot a module fits.

There are colored corners on the Component icons.

Heavies have 3 colored icon corners, Mediums have two, and Lights have one. You may not notice them due to the colors mixing with the icon art but they're there once you know what to look for. ;)

spacehog
06-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Maybe there could be a tutorial that fits into the already implemented challenge system. Players could have the option of choosing the 'tutorial challenge' as their first sector, and it would come complete with quests explaining how the mechanics work, slower pace, smaller world, etc.

Personally, the help icons that pop up explained most of the questions I had when first starting, but a tutorial is never a bad idea.

Shadow
06-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Are NPCs affected by gravity wells?

Yes, NPCs are effected by gravity wells.