PDA

View Full Version : Ease of Navigation

Morslok
06-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Hello, I purchased the game yesterday and played for a couple hours last night. I have some feedback about my initial experiences.

As soon as I started in on the actual game I found it to be similar to Din's Curse, but it feels a little better to control, and the graphics are much better.

My main issue at this point is navigation. I don't know if these ideas are already implemented in the form of ship components, as I'm sure I haven't seen all that those have to offer, but I would like to make a few suggestions.

To be honest, the minimap seems almost pointless currently. All I used it for was seeing places where I hadn't explored through the "fog of war" yet. The amount of the screen that is cleared seems a bit small to me as well. Would it be possible to break the "fog" into square sections and make it so that when you fly into any part of the section it clears the whole area? That would eliminated the need to go hunting for those little tiny areas that you missed on your first go around and make it easier to scout an entire system, which seems handy in a game with nearly infinite procedurally generated systems to explore.

I think the minimap would be much more useful with some other tweaks as well. For instance, I don't know if this was a deliberate design decision, but it would be very helpful if the minimap was zoomed out, showing more of the local area, with indicators for where the sun and planets are in the system. From a lore perspective you could say that those are the only objects big enough to be able to detect from a significant distance, and keep everything else (gateways, wormholes, anomalies, recharge stations, enemy locations) hidden so that exploration is still a necessity.

Another additional option for ease of navigation in the game world would be that if you have a quest that takes you to a specific planet, or even another object that you have scouted (gateway to another system you need to go to for the quest) it would show an indicator telling you where that thing is on the minimap. I know about the current waypoint system, but it does irk me a bit that I can't set a waypoint ON something, it has to be beside it.

Also, it would be helpful if the system and galaxy maps could be dragged. On my game I tried that with all my mouse buttons, the left mouse button changed into a hand when it was held down, but the map didn't scroll when the mouse was moved. Not yet fully implemented?

I would like to say that I understand how these could all be deliberate design decisions, and respect that, I don't expect them to be changed. I just think that in a game that seems to be about combat and interactions, the exploration is the weak point at the moment.

I am enjoying the combat, character progression, and interactions with the game world more than I enjoyed them in Din's Curse, so keep up the good work!

Shadow
06-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Also, it would be helpful if the system and galaxy maps could be dragged. On my game I tried that with all my mouse buttons, the left mouse button changed into a hand when it was held down, but the map didn't scroll when the mouse was moved. Not yet fully implemented?

You should be able to drag the maps around by holding down the left mouse button and moving the mouse.

Morslok
06-15-2012, 12:33 PM
You should be able to drag the maps around by holding down the left mouse button and moving the mouse.

Well then this could be a bug report. I tried that and it wasn't working. The mouse would change to a hand, but the map wouldn't move when I moved the mouse.

Shadow
06-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Well then this could be a bug report. I tried that and it wasn't working. The mouse would change to a hand, but the map wouldn't move when I moved the mouse.

I'll look at it and make sure it's still working. It might just be that you need to move the mouse more than you would expect though.

Morslok
06-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi Shadow, you were correct (obviously since you know the game far better than I), I wasn't moving the mouse enough. I expected the mouse-to-map movement ratio to be 1:1. Thanks.

Shadow
06-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi Shadow, you were correct (obviously since you know the game far better than I), I wasn't moving the mouse enough. I expected the mouse-to-map movement ratio to be 1:1. Thanks.

I do need to make it much more smooth.