PDA

View Full Version : high level item drops

Areli
01-20-2008, 03:25 PM
In Legendary difficulty, from the Red Death zone onward, it seems that books drop excessively. By this time, chances are your bookcase is full and you're looking for unique/artifact/very rare items - not books. The boss Ciglio in Red Death has dropped as many as five different books at once; other bosses often drop one or two books and Champion/Elite mobs seem to drop books half the time.

These final zones are level 96 to level 103 enemies, so I'm not sure why they are dropping level 5 through level 50 books that sell for 1-2 silver.

I'm curious if something is wrong with the loot table since all these books are showing up.

On the plus side, and perhaps balancing this out, treasure maps seem to be classified as books too; so I'm seeing a lot more treasure maps. Relics also drop much more often (and I've definitely been needing better relics). Using magic find potions (+390%) does not seem to significantly prevent books from dropping; they do enhance the quality of non-book drops.

Shadow
01-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I'll look at it.

Areli
01-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I just wanted to add some quantitative data to this since I guess I had time to kill. First, the methods, then the results: I made 6 games - 2 Level 100, 2 L85 and 2 L80. I immediately made a sweep of all 6 opposing covenants. After finishing the last one, I went back through and looted all the treasure chests (6 small reward chests and 1 large reward chest). For the level 100 games, after raiding I equipped magic find armor/relics/weapon totaling 350% magic find as well as a +390% potion - thus totaling +740% magic find before looting everything. For the other lower level games, I kept all the magic find equipment on since the difficulty was lower - again using a potion before the actual looting sweep.

While only 2 games per difficulty will have a large margin of error, it at least highlights some problems with the higher end drops.
Totals for the 2 level 100 games:
3 grey items, 23 green items, 2 yellow items, 30 books, 2 miscellaneous items (potions, food, drink, etc.), roughly 26 silver
total items = 60, total silver = 26

Totals for the 2 level 85 games:
11 grey, 38 green, 9 yellow, 1 orange, 2 set items, 2 books, 3 misc., 7 silver
total items = 66, total silver = 7

Totals for the 2 level 80 games:
14 grey, 31 green, 12 yellow, 1 set item, 1 book, 1 misc., 8 silver
total items = 60, total silver = 9

The quantity of drops looks fairly equal, however the quality distinctly declines once you reach enemies in the upper 90s. If I gathered a reserve of items with +find item % instead of +magic find % i could test quantity out as well - but I don't. The end result is simply that: based on the lower level games, all those books in the high level game seem to be hogging the spots of what should be higher quality drops. This holds true for bosses as it did for these treasure runs, however I didn't feel like skipping all the way to the later bosses dozens of times to get numbers for that.

SamMcMackin
01-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Not only do you get more books but also more relics drop. Do you feel that too?

ShaggyMoose
01-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, the book drops for the level 100 tests are ridiculous! If you have time, do you want to repeat just that test again to see if was a fluke?

SamMcMackin
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
I promise you it is not a fluke, just go into legendary and see how many books you get from the reward chests and monster drops... its crazy @_@

StealthBunny
01-28-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm playing a game on ...whatever the third level is, with covenant set on lvl 100, easy, and my reward chest had nine items... six of which were books.

If that helps at all.

Delve
01-29-2008, 05:15 AM
Ship me some of those books, would you? My library could use some filling in.

StealthBunny
01-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Sure. I'll send 'em over by the next Fire Elemental Express.

Um.. Oops. Hope you don't mind sifting through ashes...

Delve
01-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Did you forget to pay all the shipping FEEs? ;)

SamMcMackin
01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
I wish you could get someone else to do those delivery missions for you... ;)

StealthBunny
01-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Did you forget to pay all the shipping FEEs? ;)

Oh, didn't I mention it was COD? Coppers on Delivery? :D

Delve
01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Hm, send them to the covenant next door with the next shipment. I'll raid them after the delivery. :)