PDA

View Full Version : Impressions after 4hrs

secretkillerofnames
06-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Intro narrator sounds like a stoner metal guy. I know it's cliche but what about something like Holly from Red Dwarf?

It has a learning curve but I think i'm getting it without really needing much tutorial. The pop ups disrupt the action where for me "doing" is a better teacher. Maybe some tutorial quests in the initial galaxy at level 0?

For me the w/s auto-thrust with the mouse as direction / selection / aiming works really well and speeds the game up. It should be default.

I think Drox implements the systems of both DC and DOP in a very natural way. Even the teleporting (that irritated me playing multiplayer DC) can be used to an advantage in Drox. I was initially confused about the difference between jump-gates / star-lanes and wormholes. I was expecting a star-lane to a quest objective yet I ended up having to improve my standing until they could open the jump-gate to that sector.

It's very addictive with all the constant events in the galaxy but i'm finally getting into the more substantial game with multi-part terraforming quests.
I've noticed that the allies of my primary race (who are leading) have started courting me with dollars. But i'm trying to stick to the primary race quests for now as I was failing quests saying yes to everything.

I have died once and honestly i'm not sure what happened. I sat in the rescue ship for a while waiting to be rescued and then reappeared at the starting sector. I'm somewhat confused as to what the escape pods do (relative attributes). Maybe more info needed here?

Often I click on space junk and it starts to disappear. If I click on it again I get "need an enemy". I'm not sure if this is a bug but it doesn't make sense.

So far I haven't seen anything about getting a crew (not sure if it is implemented) and I have no idea about the different damage types. Not sure how it shows up / if it does? I do know most ships go down pretty well with my "excellent rare laser" unless i'm mobbed.

A few thoughts. This is a very fun addictive game. It managed to hit my Star Control II nostalgia in a way that SPAZ for some reason didn't.
Love it!:D

Shadow
06-15-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm somewhat confused as to what the escape pods do (relative attributes). Maybe more info needed here?

Often I click on space junk and it starts to disappear. If I click on it again I get "need an enemy". I'm not sure if this is a bug but it doesn't make sense.

So far I haven't seen anything about getting a crew (not sure if it is implemented)

Escape pods are automatically rescued after 10 seconds, so you just have to manage to live for a short period of time.

You had finished scanning the space junk and it was just fading away to get rid of the clutter.

You will find crew eventually. They mostly function just like components do.

secretkillerofnames
06-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Escape pods are automatically rescued after 10 seconds, so you just have to manage to live for a short period of time.

You had finished scanning the space junk and it was just fading away to get rid of the clutter.

You will find crew eventually. They mostly function just like components do.

So the better the pod the better chances of survival?
Interested in how the stats affect things.

So I take it there was nothing in the junk? Should there be a "nothing of value" message like with Anomalies?

PixelLord
06-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Interested in how the stats affect things.

So I take it there was nothing in the junk? Should there be a "nothing of value" message like with Anomalies?

No (junk), you might get something good - it's random. But the damn thing may blow up in your face! <sigh>

Shadow
06-16-2012, 11:50 AM

The stats of your escape pod do matter. This is especially true with the structure value since it will help you live longer.