PDA

View Full Version : Failed quests

Mivo
06-15-2012, 01:14 PM
With the game's current pace and frequency of NPC events, it seems it's pretty easy to accumulate a number of failed quests. After only a bit of playing, my quest log loooked like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28292565/drox_nowwhat.png

When there were still active quests, they were in-between the failed ones. Suggestion: Move failed quests into their own category (at the bottom, with a separating line), and perhaps rename "decline" to "remove", since failed quests can't really be accepted or completed.

I felt that quests failed too quickly and often without player input or the chance to do anything about it. The problem, then, was that I had no new quests that I could find, and no active ones, so it was back to the "What do I do now?" feeling that I also experienced at the very start.

Bluddy
06-15-2012, 01:30 PM
With the game's current pace and frequency of NPC events, it seems it's pretty easy to accumulate a number of failed quests. After only a bit of playing, my quest log loooked like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28292565/drox_nowwhat.png

When there were still active quests, they were in-between the failed ones. Suggestion: Move failed quests into their own category (at the bottom, with a separating line), and perhaps rename "decline" to "remove", since failed quests can't really be accepted or completed.

I felt that quests failed too quickly and often without player input or the chance to do anything about it. The problem, then, was that I had no new quests that I could find, and no active ones, so it was back to the "What do I do now?" feeling that I also experienced at the very start.

The quest timers probably need to be much longer in this game than in DC or DoP, since it takes a long time to get from one place to another.

Shadow
06-15-2012, 02:16 PM
The quest timers probably need to be much longer in this game than in DC or DoP, since it takes a long time to get from one place to another.

They are longer. Note: I'm not saying that don't need to be longer.

Bluddy
06-15-2012, 02:25 PM
They are longer. Note: I'm not saying that don't need to be longer.

I figured as much. They probably need to be adjusted a little more.

They may also need to have more dynamic timers. If there's a quest that wants something done 3 systems away, it should have a lot more time than if the quest is in the same system.

It might also be worth thinking about extending the quests to allow more flexible solutions. If I deliver something non-critical but I'm a little late, the quest shouldn't fail -- it should just give me a lesser reward.

Mivo
06-15-2012, 02:56 PM
I should probably mention that I had only played DC a little when it was released (or maybe it was only the beta), then got distracted. So most of my comments or reports are not based on DC comparisons or background, and I may bring up aspects that are basic design decisions from DC that I'm unfamiliar with. :) Sorry about that!

NefariousKoel
06-15-2012, 03:02 PM
I'd prefer the failed quests just be automatically wiped from the list. Had hoped for that in DC, too.

All you can do is delete them, right? So may as well automatically clear them off along with a message, perhaps. Would save the regular chore of having to clean up your failed quests because you regularly run out of available quest slots.

Shadow
06-15-2012, 04:27 PM
I've always been hesitant to remove failed quests, because I think it would be more confusing that quests are just gone all of a sudden.

torikamal
06-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Perhaps a "Clear Failed Quests" button might be in order. I think it is helpful to see which quests were failed.

Personally, I like the frantic pace and like the idea of failing quests--makes things more urgent and realistic. However, I know that different people have different playstiles, so having a Slow-Pace option like in DC would probably be good, or perhaps a "no timer" option.

I'd also say having achievements for trying each game modes out through one sector would be a great way for people to experience all the game modes (once/if they are added).

Wakuseino
06-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Eh, my personal experience says that the leading cause of failed quests tends to be things like "the involved planet has been destroyed", or "the boss got brave, attacked a planet, and lost". These aren't really things involving a timer, really.

I do agree with a 'clear failed/obsolete quests" button, though.

viper34j
06-15-2012, 05:56 PM
How about you wipe failed quests off the quest page and add a "History" button that displays a simple multiline textbox with one entry per line of fail quests sorted chronologically?