PDA

View Full Version : Fun factor

PixelLord
06-15-2012, 05:19 PM
So is it fun? What could be done to make it more fun/entertaining? What things make it less than fun? It's beta and this information is so important.

DeathKnight1728
06-15-2012, 05:47 PM
I was thinking of the traits that each race gets in game. For example, what would be cool would not be so it hinders your character from doing anything, but make more possibilities for a char based on race. Some races have ruthless/diplomatic, wouldnt that be cool if you can gain a small bonus something to sabotage/rumor negative effect just as you get a diplomatic bonus if you want to make a pacifier or character that is better at diplomacy. I think this would be awesome for drox.

spacehog
06-15-2012, 11:44 PM
The game is a blast! I don't have any gripes. Much like all of the other beta testers, I've got loads of (mostly useless) ideas, but for all I know a bunch of them already exist. I'm a big fan of the Soldak approach to ARPGs. Messing around with ship fittings is fun in-and-of-itself. I vote for tons of varied components. Even superficial components that don't necessarily add values to combat mechanics, but help track down big bosses in sectors or allow the ancient energy regenerators to show up on the maps would be awesome in my opinion. (There are lots of 'components' in Ambosia's EV series that enable players to customize the feel of their ships without changing combat mechanics, which was fun.) Drox Operative is a very solid game. My only hope is that people will take advantage of the multiplayer feature!

secretkillerofnames
06-16-2012, 12:18 AM
The base game is plenty fun but to increase longevity I think the following might be worth considering (apologies if already covered)

1) greater racial definition / more specific bonuses that lead to particular approaches depending on the race;
2) galactic mutations or special events that affect one or more races. For example an event that causes refugee monsters and NPC AI to flood in from a particular quadrant. Is the sub-species thing mentioned in the blog in game yet? Because that is an example of what
I'm talking about.
3) not starting from square one... What about starting in a galaxy with a dominant empire and squabbling serfs? As Drox we could work to overthrow the empire.

aReclusiveMind
06-16-2012, 04:30 AM
I have been having a lot of fun with the game, but some of these quests and rep grinds are starting to wear a little thin. I'd say I have about 10 hours played roughly so far.

What seems to happen to me is two factions will form an alliance, eliminate any other factions, and then I'll have to build enough favor to form an alliance with each of them. If a race refuses to offer you any quests, it becomes very difficult to gain enough respect with them to forge an alliance at this point. I ended up using the alliance currency trade exploit on one race to get enough cash to bribe the final race into an alliance in my last sector completion.

I will also add that several of the quests are very tedious. Trying to hunt down 5 of unit "X" in an entire star system, even at 200 speed, can still be tiresome, especially when you know you've already cleared the fog of war from the map. You end up having to re-fly over the same systems over and over. Find the needle in the haystack, aka the terraform search, also involves flying over empty space again and again. The rep reward are quite low for doing so.

I assume you should be able to gain reputation with a faction by attacking races it is at war with, but I've not seen this occur yet. I declared war on the Brunt, who were at war with the Drakk, and I even destroyed a Brunt colony. The Drakk didn't seem to care one bit.

I would like to see more of an emphasis on race warfare and less of an emphasis on fetch or "hunt xyz". The way the quests are structured now, it's almost like having to do an MMO reputation grind with repeatable quests only each time you start a new sector you have to start it all over again.

MOOMANiBE
06-16-2012, 04:56 AM
I just posted a topic thing with my gripes about reputation, I guess I'll make a post here for more general sorts of impressions.

Fun:
* I love all the detail in the civ-esque simulation.
* Loot and itemization is great. I have a real hard time picking my stat allocation, because I want everything.
* Seems like there's a nice variety of weaponry and equipables. I haven't had a chance to play around with them all yet (not enough slots) but I'm ancitipating it quite a bit.

Hmm:
* Mines feel a bit OP right now. Given how aggressively enemies chase you, all you need to do is hold W and drop lots of mines while running away and even the biggest hordes all kerplode without being able to touch you.
* I'd like to be able to fire while moving. Right now W-spam kind of lets you do it anyway, so why not just let us?
* Having to use up stat points to get more equip slots is a bit :(
*I'd like to see more random types of things in the solar systems. Right now doesn't seem like there's too much variety.
* Not a huge deal, but I wish item icons had something displayed on them as to whether they were light/medium/heavy parts so I could tell at a glance.

Not So Fun:
* Finding individual planets or enemies within a huge solar system is tedious. I want a radar system of some kind, or some other way to find stuff. this may be a problem exclusive to the early game, but it takes FOREVER to get around and find stuff, especially when you have no idea where it could be.
..possibly we could get smaller or varied-in-size solar systems?
* Quest tracker needs a way to sort by the planetary system where the objective is. Or to say in the titles. Or something. It takes too long to go through right now.

Shadow
06-16-2012, 12:27 PM
2) galactic mutations or special events that affect one or more races. For example an event that causes refugee monsters and NPC AI to flood in from a particular quadrant. Is the sub-species thing mentioned in the blog in game yet? Because that is an example of what
I'm talking about.
3) not starting from square one... What about starting in a galaxy with a dominant empire and squabbling serfs? As Drox we could work to overthrow the empire.

There are subraces in the game.

Some of the challenges start in the middle of things instead of the start.

Shadow
06-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Not a huge deal, but I wish item icons had something displayed on them as to whether they were light/medium/heavy parts so I could tell at a glance.

They actually do. Heavy components have 3 of the corners with blue, medium has 2 orange corners, and light has 1 green corner.

Zengrath
06-16-2012, 01:02 PM
The game so far is a lot of fun. For me it started off slow but once i started getting tech 2 and 3 components the fun factor went up a lot. Also once i found the game options to turn off steering with the mouse and such, so that now i can fly with WASD keys and shoot while moving in direction i want, i finding it a lot more enjoyable. I was putt off at first that whenever i fought an enemy ship i felt like i had to stop and sit still since i couldn't seem to properly circle the enemy or move while shooting sideways but with options changed it feels more natural. any of those who haven't tried the controls this way i recommend it.

It would be sweet if a different control scheme was possible which allowed you to use WS keys like it works now, but AD keys strafed left and right instead of turned and mouse always made ship point in that direction. I've played other 2D space games with that control scheme and it's cool. However i am pleased with way it is now that I've tweaked game options a bit.

Game has a lot of potential and so far i'm pleased, i've completed 2 sectors so far and i'm about level 9

I do have to say... i much would rather have ability to ether build my ships from components or buy better ships from races rather then have it as a stat. It seems odd that increasing a stat eventually upgrades my ship. i feel like i have no choices on what type of ship i can use which is odd for a space game. For example if i could buy a ship that had more high slows and less low slots, or few high slots but lot of medium/low slots. or big ship with little slots but lots of hp, etc. variations like that i like.. and different races would build those different styles of ships. that is way i imagined it. though i guess implementing that would leave only the stat bonus left for making each race unique, though that is usually how it is in most games i suppose.

goodgimp
06-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Yea, have a ship be something you buy, and have various ships have different Command requirements to fly just like other equipment works. I think I'd like that. Then you could do cool things like have different race's ships have strengths/weaknesses or abilities that make them unique.

snow
06-16-2012, 01:25 PM
They actually do. Heavy components have 3 of the corners with blue, medium has 2 orange corners, and light has 1 green corner.

Even knowing this, it's a tiny detail lost in the icon.. I can't glance at something and divine its type, which isn't good.

Maybe make different slots different shapes? Or different sized icons?

oznogg
06-16-2012, 01:28 PM
How about rather than color, the light, medium, and heavy components have a different shape? Light could be circle, medium a triangle, heavy a square. I find it a bit tedious right now to look for the tiny colored triangles in the corner.

aReclusiveMind
06-16-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm up to level 11 on my small/fast ship. I've upgraded my hull once at this point and am still running at top speed. I am involved in challenge sector #1 and it is down to two races (I'm in an alliance with the top one).

I've had much more fun in this challenge sector due to the number of races involved. I've had to help defense my ally and attack the enemy, which makes me feel more involved in the world then just killing alien craft over and over again. The other races are also much tougher to kill. Their missiles keep tearing me and my escape pod up. :)

I also ran into one of the sub-races.

I feel like Drox Operative has really nice addictive highs at times, and really low tedium at others. Today has been an addictive day so far.

EDIT: Is there any way to ask your allies to attack a specific colony? That would be helpful.

Reefpirate
06-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I think they only thing subtracting from the fun for me so far is the Rep grind while you're trying to wrap up a sector. I found my first sub-race (which was really cool by the way... The Talon), and they've been the only Faction left for the last hour or hour and a half... I've been trying to grind up reputation with them as fast as I know how, but it's just taking forever to ally with them.

It's not too fun because there's no way to lose at this point, and yet I'm forced to grind my way to the end of the sector. There's no way for me to lose reputation with the Talon. Perhaps there's a way to just end it when we know we'll be allies eventually?

Also, I got a nuclear bomb. I don't know how it plays going forward, but for now this weapon seems to be very very overpowered!

Chumpy
06-16-2012, 06:35 PM
It's kind of strange that races never give me quests to mess with other races, even when they're at war. Is this supposed to happen?

I end up needing to finish their wars anyway when they won't cross more than one star system, so a lot of these "wars" end up feeling pretty abstract. It would be neat if they gave you quests to mess with other races' planets.

* I'd like to be able to fire while moving. Right now W-spam kind of lets you do it anyway, so why not just let us?

How to do this:

-Go to Game Options
-Turn OFF Thrusters Cursor
-Turn ON Thrusters Toggle
-Press W
-Turn with A and D

I feel almost like this should be the default setting.

Lyranaar
06-16-2012, 06:45 PM
The fun factor is huge! Leveling could be a bit faster at the start though. After finding the right setup for WASD it plays great, just needs a tad more speed.

Ultra addicting game!

secretkillerofnames
06-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Do the monsters ever work together? Cos I think that might be interesting if some of them created an alliance and started to drive out the NPC races.

Also what if planets have a finite use... meaning you could destroy one ecologically and have an incentive to colonise or take planets?

keith.lamothe
06-16-2012, 08:17 PM
(accidentally posted this in the wrong thread at first, sorry for the confusion)

Is it fun? Oh yes, incredibly so. Between the diplomacy, the dynamic quests, the "lone agent in a 4X" and the amazing gear system... this could well be the most fun I've had in a game for a year or so. And that's just the initial beta version.

I've been holding off on giving specific feedback because I think the "preliminary feedback" has already been pretty voluminous. Good thing in my case, as my first sector for some reason was wildly different (in not such a good way) than the others. Just finished my fourth sector, and am really glad I stuck with it.

NefariousKoel
06-16-2012, 11:28 PM

Hint:

Go into the Game Options screen and uncheck "Thruster Disengage".

You will then be able to both Fire and Move at the same time.

This shouldn't be on by default right now.

mckulz
06-17-2012, 02:02 AM
My biggest problem is flying around in circles trying to find planets, it just doesn't make any sense. I'm supposed to be an elite operative but I can't even find a planet.

The endgame grinding is too much, you shouldn't have to be allied with all the races if one race has nearly dominated the sector.

I'd like to see some weapons for the medium slots, like point defense or ECM

Shadow
06-18-2012, 04:13 PM
EDIT: Is there any way to ask your allies to attack a specific colony? That would be helpful.

Not right now, but it's something I would like to add.

It's kind of strange that races never give me quests to mess with other races, even when they're at war. Is this supposed to happen?

They do some times.

I'd like to see some weapons for the medium slots, like point defense or ECM

There are point defense and ECM components.

keith.lamothe
06-18-2012, 04:23 PM
EDIT: Is there any way to ask your allies to attack a specific colony? That would be helpful.Not right now, but it's something I would like to add.One way comes to mind: add a Diplomacy Trade option for "give me a rally beacon" that has some fairly high diplo cost (and minimum relations level) but when given in trade:
1) Adds a "rally beacon of (race name)" item to the player inventory.
2) That beacon is a consumable that when used deploys a mine-like entity (with a long time-to-live).
3) That entity factors into the "where do I go?" logic for patrolling ships of the race that provided it.

I think that would handle "attack this planet, please" cases as well as "defend this planet, please" and "chokepoint this starlane, please" and so on. Not to mention "wait here while I go bait a boss to come eat you while I kill it, please", but we won't tell the NPCs about that ;)

Chumpy
06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Oh, nice, looking forward to that.

mckulz
06-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Not right now, but it's something I would like to add.

They do some times.

There are point defense and ECM components.

Ah ok, I haven't gotten that far yet.