PDA

View Full Version : Laundry list

Delve
01-21-2008, 05:47 AM
I'm putting this in the bugs category not becuase they're bugs, but because it's a (rather long) list of ideas or suggestions I've come up with while playing the game. Doesn't really fit in the general discussion category in my opinion. So here we go, numbered for easy reference.

I'm not sure what the algorithm is behind NPC resurrection, but can it be tweaked so that the 3 primary quest givers in town regen first, or maybe faster? Quests in DoP are like a good drug, and when you run out (or have 4 completed ones with a dead quest giver) it's like withdrawal
It would be easier to read if active quests always displayed at the top of the quest screen, so that empty quest slots are all at the bottom
My eyes are maybe kind of bad, but I always get dexterity and treasure potions confused. Would it be possible to tweak the icon for one or the other to make them more distinctive?
When using the F# keys, I'd prefer the game select the weakest food/potion from inventory by default so that the weak ones I pick up and the old ones I'm still carrying would get used instead of me having to sell them whenever a stronger version becomes available.
This one may be considered a bug, but treasure maps can be carried into new worlds, which seems awkward to me (albeit entertaining). :)
It would be nice to be able to swap containers for a larger version in your stash or inventory without having to juggle the contents around first. Moving 12 items from stash to inventory and back just to upgrade the stash to a 14 slot container is a bit irritating.

ShaggyMoose
01-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Good points, although five is a little problematic. What if the treasure map was intended for an area that doesn't even exist in the next world?

Point 6 in particular I find frustrating. Maybe if you select a bag with enough space in it, then click on the smaller bag in a chest or your personal inventory, it will swap the contents into the larger bag. This would save a lot of messing around. I find inventory management quite tedious, especially when you can't fit all the windows on screen.

Delve
01-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Good points, although five is a little problematic. What if the treasure map was intended for an area that doesn't even exist in the next world?

Point 6 in particular I find frustrating. Maybe if you select a bag with enough space in it, then click on the smaller bag in a chest or your personal inventory, it will swap the contents into the larger bag. This would save a lot of messing around. I find inventory management quite tedious, especially when you can't fit all the windows on screen.

On point 5, you can currently carry a treasure map item into a new world, and then use it to get the quest (which I assume is generated when the item is used, not before). I've actually done this successfully. So, farming a normal difficulty world for maps then bringing them into a champion difficulty world (or whatever) to get the better quest rewards for them is feasible. A full player stash of these would be a significant bonus at little risk, if possibly rather tedious.

For point 6, you have my point exactly. You also have the change I envisioned, once I reread it more thoroughly. :)

Kruztee
01-21-2008, 11:22 AM
So, farming a normal difficulty world for maps then bringing them into a champion difficulty world (or whatever) to get the better quest rewards for them is feasible.

I dunno about this.
Quite often at about level 30ish I was picking up maps in normal mode that when I opened would generate a message along the lines of "Secret stash not available in this level". This would lead me to believe that the level of the stash (but probably not the actual location) is generated when you first get the map. I wonder if the reverse also occurs? Can you pick up maps in champion mode and then bring them back to normal mode games and always open them? If you pick up lots of maps at low levels and then transfer them via the common stash to a high level character and then use them, what happens and what kind of loot is generated? :confused: I should test this myself, I know...

Shadow?

Kruztee
01-21-2008, 11:40 AM
In reply to the original 6 points raised.

1) NO! NPC's already respawn way too fast. You are supposed to be protecting the town in the first place remember? Don't let them die! If they are killed then just find something else to do while you reflect on your poor guardianship of Jorvik's safety. (I like to find an underground level where there is plenty of loot for the taking). Most of the town attacks are pitifully weak in my games. I'd like to see this beefed up if anything.

2) Agreed

3) Definately needed

4) There are times when I want to use the best food though. I guess that I could just click on the icons. Better yet, why not let the F# keys use the food that has been positioned on the toolbar in order from left to right. That way the player could just set it up in desired fashion.

5) See other post

6) I know that I'll be in the minority here, but I actually enjoy rumaging through my collected bits and pieces sorting them into different sacks and back packs etc. :D

Delve
01-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Responding to Kruztee:
1) That's a valid point, and I'm not arguing for instant revival or anything drastic. I just don't like spending 5 minutes real time running around like a loot monger waiting to turn in my full quest load of completed quests. Especially when the first person I see revived is Birla. :P

4) True, for big fights you want the big healing. This can also be controlled by dropping off the weak stuff in your stash before setting out, or selling them off. It might also be controlled by a toggle option, depending on how it's coded. Shadow would know that. Trouble is, if I drop off the high level healing items then I'm liable to run out at a most inopportune time, even when I wouldn't mind using up the weak items. As far as basing this on the toolbar my priest doesn't have any food or potions there (she just throws them at the warrior when he's looking glum), what would you do then?

5) I know I've taken 1 map into a new world, I don't recall the relative difficulty levels. It worked fine in the new world, but I may have moved from Champion to Normal; I did that recently in order to collect the bonus treasure in Normal difficulty for one of my characters. How this works out with the shared stash I haven't tested either. You're right that Shadow could probably answer this pretty quickly.

6) Having an easier option available in this case would not eliminate your ability to swim through your money bin, as it were. :D

ShaggyMoose
01-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Responding to Kruztee:
4) True, for big fights you want the big healing. This can also be controlled by dropping off the weak stuff in your stash before setting out, or selling them off. It might also be controlled by a toggle option, depending on how it's coded. Shadow would know that. Trouble is, if I drop off the high level healing items then I'm liable to run out at a most inopportune time, even when I wouldn't mind using up the weak items. As far as basing this on the toolbar my priest doesn't have any food or potions there (she just throws them at the warrior when he's looking glum), what would you do then?
I think a toggle option is a great idea. eg. "use best healing first" or "use weakest healing first". I think this is all the control that is needed.