PDA

View Full Version : This has been bothering me for a while...

Wakuseino
06-16-2012, 05:20 PM
You know, I kind of thought our purpose was to play off warring races, complete quests they give for money, and occasionally spend that money on getting them to get along. It seems like the most practical way of going about things, right?

There's just one problem: Actually doing quests for people, pisses off everyone they're at war with, even when the quests have nothing to do with them. By a significant amount more than it actually pleases people. I've just done some quick calculations, but it sure looks like the relationship drop is over 3 times any boost you gain from actually doing the quest. You helped save the system from a monster attacking everyone, including us? You monster! How dare you actually get paid for saving us!

And this is just another of those contributing factors to the "pick one race and stick with it" problem. I would love to be able to get everyone to make peace and start up a coalition, but the money has to come from somewhere, and when everyone's at war with everyone else, there's not really any choice except "who seems to be strong enough that they won't get wiped out after I piss everyone off by doing their jobs?" It just seems... limiting.

keith.lamothe
06-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Is it fun? Oh yes, incredibly so. Between the diplomacy, the dynamic quests, the "lone agent in a 4X" and the amazing gear system... this could well be the most fun I've had in a game for a year or so. And that's just the initial beta version.

I've been holding off on giving specific feedback because I think the "preliminary feedback" has already been pretty voluminous. Good thing in my case, as my first sector for some reason was wildly different (in not such a good way) than the others. Just finished my fourth sector, and am really glad I stuck with it.

Wakuseino
06-16-2012, 06:43 PM
I find that the fun-ness varies from sector to sector. I personally am finding the diplomacy distinctly not fun in many cases. It's like trying to appease petulant children and is slowly encouraging me to sabotage everyone's planets so I can watch them struggle to attempt to maintain their war that I've gotten both sides to agree to a ceasefire and even paid them to agree to it... only to have them simply not do it. This may be a bug, or it may not be, but either way it means that I wasted roughly a third of my money on a long-term project that did nothing except get half the sector irate with me. Not exactly fun.

Honestly, I'm thinking of just abandoning this sector and trying again from scratch.

keith.lamothe
06-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Kind of odd, I had been reading a different thread and meaning to reply to it, but it wound up here. Sorry about the confusion :)

Wakuseino
06-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Heh, fair enough, fair enough. Don't worry about it too much. This thread is basically just me letting off steam anyways. Along with a way to bring up an issue I personally see with the game.