PDA

View Full Version : List of Initial and Command Bonus Stats per Race

aReclusiveMind
06-16-2012, 05:33 PM
This should probably be displayed on race selection. I didn't realize until I made several different kinds of ships that each race received different skill point bonuses with each command upgrade. It appears that they gain +3 to their primary attribute (indicated by the one they get the largest bonus of initially) per command upgrade.

Drakk obviously make the best candidate for agile ships due to a natural affinity for helm. Brunt appear the best in weaponry. I'm not sure what the best all around defensive ship would be yet.

All of the attributes are pretty important though, as having great weapons but no attack skill is ineffective, as is lacking the energy or power to use them effectively. Missed shots don't do damage.

Humans -
+3 Tactical + 2 Computers Initial Bonus
+3 Tactical per command/ship upgrade

Dryad -
+3 Structural +2 Engineering Initial Bonus
+3 Structural per command/ship upgrade

Utopian -
+5 Computers Initial Bonus
+3 Computers per command/ship upgrade

Fringe -
+3 Engineering +2 Tactical Initial Bonus
+3 Engineering per command/ship upgrade

Hive -
+3 Structural +2 Helm Initial Bonus
+3 Structural per per command/ship upgrade

Drakk -
+3 Helm +2 Tactical Initial Bonus
+3 Helm per command/ship upgrade

Lithosoid -
+5 Structural Initial Bonus
+3 Structural per command/ship upgrade

Cortex -
+3 Engineering +2 Computers Initial Bonus
+3 Engineering per command/ship upgrade

Brunt -
+5 Tactical Initial Bonus
+3 Tactical per command/ship upgrade

Shadow -
+3 Computers +2 Helm Initial Bonus
+3 Computers per command/ship upgrade

Wakuseino
06-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for this! That's saved me a lot of time!

...If I were to take bets on best overall defensive ship, I'm suspecting it'll be Lithosoid. Maybe it's just me, but Armor just tends to hold out better than shields, and the armor/hull regen items fit under structural as well. I honestly haven't had much luck with Defense, even when I focus on boosting it. It gives fairly diminishing returns and this is ignoring the fact that Defense doesn't protect against AOE abilities like self-destruct.

aReclusiveMind
06-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for this! That's saved me a lot of time!

...If I were to take bets on best overall defensive ship, I'm suspecting it'll be Lithosoid. Maybe it's just me, but Armor just tends to hold out better than shields, and the armor/hull regen items fit under structural as well. I honestly haven't had much luck with Defense, even when I focus on boosting it. It gives fairly diminishing returns and this is ignoring the fact that Defense doesn't protect against AOE abilities like self-destruct.

I've not tried out going heavy armor / less shields yet. I'll have to give that a go. I thought since shields recharged on their own they were outright better than armor, but perhaps with one of the automated repair modules armor is even better. Are there any other advantages to armor as opposed to shields?

Wakuseino
06-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Well, the way I see it, there are three big draws to Armor:

1: They don't cost any power. Of course, this is an exaggeration. A repair module is still going to cost some power, obviously, but if you're equipped with multiple pieces of armor, the repair module doesn't cost any more. Which leads into...

2: Repair Modules heal Structure and Armor simultaneously. It might not regen quite as well as Shields, but you're essentially giving regen to two separate HP bars.

3: Armors come in High and Medium slots. You'll also find both fairly frequently: The "Armor" types are Heavy, while the "Plating" types are Medium. While the Repair Module must fit into a Medium slot, the armor itself can go pretty much anywhere (except a Light slot, obviously).

Everything else is just theorizing by me: It's always seemed like armor just takes less damage per hit than shields for me. It might just be my imagination, but it's seemed the case for me at least. Eventually I decided that the Shields on my Behemoth simply weren't worth bothering with when I could replace it with the Repair Module. It's worked out relatively well so far.

Edit: I forgot something else, too! Armors typically give more HP per stat requirement than Shields. The Plating is typically "a little better than the shields", while the Armor type tends to be "almost twice as good as Plating".

NefariousKoel
06-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Edit: I forgot something else, too! Armors typically give more HP per stat requirement than Shields. The Plating is typically "a little better than the shields", while the Armor type tends to be "almost twice as good as Plating".

This is probably the reason it seems like you take less damage to armor - you have far more points of armor than you did shields, so the bar falls more slowly. ;)

From what I've read, damage resistances are all accounted for before damage ever strikes the shield or armor or structure so perhaps your armor modules also had an extra Resist trait that was appropriate to the enemies you were fighting at the time, and the shield module(s) didn't.

As for Armor vs Shields, it's probably just a style difference. While Armor can be potentially beefier, especially on the larger ships with more slots, the shield's advantage is that it takes up fewer console slots since it doesn't need a separate regenerator. So you could just use more shield consoles or go thin and add more weapons & attack stuff.. so it's also more flexible & easier on slot usage.

NefariousKoel
06-16-2012, 11:16 PM
The OP's stat list should definitely be included when somewhere on the Choose Race screen, or in a tooltip there if no room is to be found.

Zengrath
06-17-2012, 12:53 PM
those stat bonuses are displayed at race selection screen. First thing i did was read description before of every race and review stat bonuses before playing my first game. but honestly it doesn't really matter to someone who hasn't played much anyway since it's impossible for a new player to predict which stats he would want when he hasn't even played the game yet and doesn't have a feel for what he could possibly want yet anyway...

NefariousKoel
06-17-2012, 12:55 PM
those stat bonuses are displayed at race selection screen. First thing i did was read description before of every race and review stat bonuses before playing my first game. but honestly it doesn't really matter to someone who hasn't played much anyway since it's impossible for a new player to predict which stats he would want when he hasn't even played the game yet and doesn't have a feel for what he could possibly want yet anyway...

Indeed, but they don't tell you which stat gets raised every time you level your Command stat. Adding that was what I meant.

Lekon
06-17-2012, 07:11 PM
2: Repair Modules heal Structure and Armor simultaneously. It might not regen quite as well as Shields, but you're essentially giving regen to two separate HP bars.

3: Armors come in High and Medium slots. You'll also find both fairly frequently: The "Armor" types are Heavy, while the "Plating" types are Medium. While the Repair Module must fit into a Medium slot, the armor itself can go pretty much anywhere (except a Light slot, obviously).

2 quick notes, from someone with a level 30.

There is a light slot armor as well, called "Standoff Plating" (Or possibly Standoff Armor, I forget) I have also seen light slot shields, but have yet to find a heavy slot shield. There may be some much later on.

At level 30, I have .4 shield regen. If I put in the current level shield regen booster, it gives +38% shield recharge. Or basically... .6 shield regen. The very first armor repair item I saw was .9, so you're pretty much on the nose about armor being better overall than shields. However with the latest patch, you either have engineering, or you have ten minute fights sadly.

I'd love (thought I doubt it will happen) for the command stat to be dumped, instead have it that your race's main stat is what determines your ship. Be a lithosoid, they expect you to have structural. Get to 40, ship upgrade one. Get to 50, ship upgrade 2, etc. At the moment it just feels like a dump stat, with highly diminishing returns.

Still, it's early beta, and pretty fun, though the energy nerfs really took some wind out of it for me.