PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid fields and nebulae

Valgor
06-17-2012, 09:21 AM
What does everyone think of adding asteroid fields and nebulae with varying effects on ships that pass through them (like radiation, shield/energy drain, weapons jam etc.)
to the game to break the monotony of open space?

Bluddy
06-17-2012, 10:56 AM
What does everyone think of adding asteroid fields and nebulae with varying effects on ships that pass through them (like radiation, shield/energy drain, weapons jam etc.)
to the game to break the monotony of open space?

I think this is an excellent idea. They could also serve as makeshift walls sometimes. A super-high-radiation area would only be survivable for a couple of seconds at most, making it an effective barrier. Of course, the AI needs to know it too.

Valgor
06-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Good thinking! Nebulae that pose extreme radiation or EM threats would also encourage the use of specialized shielding items that don't do much for anyone right now.

NefariousKoel
06-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Simply having some Asteroid Fields that work as randomly placed 'Walls' would be nice.

( Tchey )
06-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Nebulaes are nice, and asteroids too. I already like the anomalies and meteorites, especially when the fly to a colonized planet !

For the "walls", some walls may be a good idea, but please, keep the map "open". I've read somewhere that space is boring. I love space (Endless Space, X-Universe games, Evochron, Galactic Civilization...). Just add things to "explore", like big dead ship, asteroid mazes... but keep the map "open-spacy".

torikamal
06-18-2012, 12:11 AM
@Tchey, I really like your idea of having giant derelict ships to explore, or asteroid mazes. Actually, a massive asteroid with some space worms like in Star Wars would be pretty awesome, too. It could provide a nice change of pace while still keeping it spacey.

pnakotus
06-18-2012, 12:40 AM
More terrain (and interesting LOOKING terrain) is a great idea.

Things like nebulae that do nothing but disrupt line of sight would be great, but I'd love to see interactable stuff; freeze nebulae, set them alight with nukes, blast asteroids with point defence weapons, detonate antimatter fields, neutralise ancient minefields, etc.

In that sort of vein I'd like to see more events, perhaps related to terrain. Simple stuff like 'can't jump outsystem for a while' or 'all planets in system damaged by radiation' or whatever would be great, but more complex stuff like 'all stars starting from here are going to blow up, I wonder why' or 'wormholes spewing out toxic clouds filling up your system, send help' would add even more things to do in the game - especially if they're related to player action. Fund terrorists = oh dear system is full of mines, explore too many anomalies = holy cow space squid ruining everything, explode nebula to kill bad guys = economy ruined, planet enviornment reduced.

rune_74
06-18-2012, 12:44 AM
In that vein why not add some super nova's or black hole game events that you can stop in a quest line or some such or mass destruction occurs.

NefariousKoel
06-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Nebulaes are nice, and asteroids too. I already like the anomalies and meteorites, especially when the fly to a colonized planet !

For the "walls", some walls may be a good idea, but please, keep the map "open". I've read somewhere that space is boring. I love space (Endless Space, X-Universe games, Evochron, Galactic Civilization...). Just add things to "explore", like big dead ship, asteroid mazes... but keep the map "open-spacy".

I didn't mean giving whole sectors a maze of walls. Just an occasional small stretch to spice up combat in that area & limiting how much you can hit & run with fast ships. It could cause problems with the AI running into it repeatedly, however, so it would likely be more work than it sounds.

> I really like your idea of having some huge hulk/starbase/ruins to explore - such as the unexplored planets (and/or anomalies, asteroid belts) have a chance of sending you to a whole "dungeon" level to fly through that has enemies and a higher chance of loot drops & abandoned wrecks to search in it. Though it'd have to be more open than the traditional Din's-style dungeons for turning.

pnakotus
06-18-2012, 01:27 AM
EVE did dungeons in space just fine; small areas full of content, linked by teleporters. The game would just treat them as small floors (the way they treat systems now, only smaller).

gornova
06-18-2012, 06:09 AM
I like idea of asteroid belts!

Valgor
06-18-2012, 06:16 AM
EVE did dungeons in space just fine; small areas full of content, linked by teleporters. The game would just treat them as small floors (the way they treat systems now, only smaller).

The game could call these "pocket dimensions" and treat them like the small enclosed secret areas in DoP the player would reach through teleporters found in chests,
only more relevant and interesting.