PDA

View Full Version : autofire!

Janster
06-17-2012, 04:31 PM
This is needed, once I select a target, please keep firing, so I can focus on other stuff.

I could also use autotarget.

Shadow
06-18-2012, 05:02 PM
You can hold down the mouse button or key to continue firing at the same enemy.

Bluddy
06-18-2012, 05:20 PM
You can hold down the mouse button or key to continue firing at the same enemy.

I think maybe the problem is that once you run out of energy, you have to keep querying the game for when you can fire again (I know the icon comes up, but it's really hard to notice).

Janster
06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Well, its more that I would like to 'lock' the target and keep firing, but then again, I 1 shot a lot these days, so I guess its kinda mute when you just ravage through them

aReclusiveMind
06-18-2012, 08:26 PM
I'd love to see some more robust missile defense components. Some sort of flak cannon that automatically fires, but only at missiles and perhaps fighters would earn a place on my ship. I'd make this dependent on computers rather than tactical though.

LostSoul
06-18-2012, 09:55 PM
I'd love to see some more robust missile defense components. Some sort of flak cannon that automatically fires, but only at missiles and perhaps fighters would earn a place on my ship. I'd make this dependent on computers rather than tactical though.

I came across some Flak Cannons (medium sized components) that ... actually I don't know what they do. They don't function as primary weapons because they would not fire at my target. Maybe that's the role they perform and I didn't realize it? It had one hell of a power drain on it.

Anyways, yeah, I see that idea as being a great addition. Medium components that represent defense augmentations rather than outright offensive hardware. They don't shoot at primary targets but at secondary stuff like missiles, bombs, mines, and "drones". Not so effective against beam weapons but great at physical hardware. The trade-off being that they also drain your available energy.

If this is exactly how the components I came across in-game are already, it needs to be more clearly denoted that they aren't and cannot be used as offensive weaponry.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:33 AM
There are various defensive type of weapons in the game.

aReclusiveMind
06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
I didn't realize flak cannons are in the game. I've not seen them up until level 11 or so on several different ships. Do they actually shoot down enemy missiles, or are they simply a +resistance item? I've not seen many of the passive defensive items do much beyond increasing defense, shields, armor, or resistances. Again, perhaps I'm just not using the correct items. I couldn't seem to get the cloak item to do much of anything visible to my ship either.

Shadow
06-20-2012, 12:34 PM
I didn't realize flak cannons are in the game. I've not seen them up until level 11 or so on several different ships. Do they actually shoot down enemy missiles, or are they simply a +resistance item?

They will shoot at or confuse enemy missiles. They are an active instead of passive though.

LostSoul
06-20-2012, 01:57 PM
They will shoot at or confuse enemy missiles. They are an active instead of passive though.

They do not appear to be doing this from my experience. It should also be noted that other medium sized components can perform a similar role while still being capable of being used as an offensive weapon as well. I would suggest making Flak cannons be automated or have MUCH lower power drain or energy consumption to offset that these weapons cannot be used offensively at all if that's the intention. Currently they're using the same amount of resources as other weaponry, but have extremely limited functionality.

Though, I'm also of the mindset that missiles should naturally be fragile enough that even the omni-present weak EMP "aoe" weapons should knock them out with relative ease. These are not automated and have a fairly sizable delay between shots (and should probably deal damage to your own ship as well, but significantly less than the missiles or mines would) but can easily knock out any projectile weapons in play at that moment. Flak cannons, on the other hand, are automated and use less resources (be it power, energy) can shoot relatively quickly but only at one target at a time.

Or perhaps they can place a "field of fire" that destroys any projectiles that fly through them, and this field follows your ship as it moves around (for the sake of argument let's just say that all flak cannons produce a 30 degree firing arc, a half dozen units in depth). Triggering a flak cannon battery places the field between your ship and the mouse cursor, and remains active until you turn it off, draining energy while active. You trade offensive energy output for defensive output. I'm kinda partial to this idea myself but whatever.

Shadow
06-20-2012, 04:40 PM
I'll look at them. In general I would like them to stay active, but yeah they need to use way less power load and energy than weapons.