PDA

View Full Version : Least Useful Stat to distribute

DeathKnight1728
06-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Ive come to the realization that energy shields are just not as important than structure for defense.

I usually every level add 1 point to each stat other than engineering as i dont find it useful.

How does everyone else go by distributing? It seems like you need to go with all stats and especially command as that gives you a new ship and boosts your races major stat.

kerzain
06-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Have you played around with today's patch much? Engineering might be much more useful now given the way more weapons are consuming energy.

Chumpy
06-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Computers is basically pointless for me, since explosions hit everything anyway.

Helm is good but you can stop putting in points until you find a really good thruster.

Engineering is huuuuuge - I need a +670 power plant to maintain my two nuclear bombs. Same with Tactical. I haven't had a chance to play the new patch yet though.

Structural seems worthwhile.

Actually, DeathKnight, it is really weird to me that you don't like Engineering. What is your setup? How are you functioning?

Reefpirate
06-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Are you still sticking with the Nuke Bomb build after the patch? I keep running out of energy with every build I try now...

Chumpy
06-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Turns out I am!

Try an Emergency Energy in one of your Light slots. Energy costs still feel kind of brutal, but with high Engineering, a decent Emergency Energy, and more or less constant Energy Spikes, I think I can still make this work.

Chumpy
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Seriously though, how do you guys function without Engineering? Do you not need Power Load?

kerzain
06-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Well, I haven't played too much past my teens (got a couple ships to 13-15 or so), but emergency energy equipment is rare enough to be real tough to plan a build around, unless you already happen to have one kicking around. They don't seem anywhere near as common as other equipment. Light slot items in general seem to drop/sell much less frequently than other slots.

But yes, if you get lucky and you find yourself a quality emergency energy item, those can certainly be a god send.

pnakotus
06-17-2012, 07:05 PM
I think light slot stuff drops lower because they're intended to be competing with crew for slots. Of course, crew is even less common.

Chumpy
06-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Hmm, given the energy costs I probably don't need two Weapon System Coolants. I'll put in a Gaming System and an EMP.

Seriously, what are you guys doing without Engineering? How are you equipping anything with no Power Load? I'm honestly confused here.

DeathKnight1728
06-17-2012, 09:02 PM
I havent touched the patch but before it, energy and weapons were not required as much as they werent high. I was kind of hoping that engineering wouldnt be required as i need a stat to ignore so i can put a point each level into command.

What i like to do is get on a system where i pay attention to all stats but 1. That way i have almost all bases covered. Its the only sane way i can play the game without saying 3 to this and 2 to this every 3 levels.

With all of you guys playing around with the possible builds, i am looking for a stat that doesnt really require as much precedence as the others. Which stat would be the weakest link? I gotta play some more of drox when i get home from work tomorrow, but until then, i brainstorm.

Im currently loving the nuclear bombs and a quick getaway setup! Really roguish, if that makes any sense :D

By the way Chumpy, to answer your question, there are a random modifier that allows almost any item in game to produce said modifier. Thrusters, engines and armor giving attack, computers giving defense, its wonderfully absurd.

Reefpirate
06-17-2012, 09:09 PM
If I had to pick one stat to never raise, I think I would go with computers. There are some handy things with computers, but I find the Attack bonus the most abstract of the improvements... If you continue to debuff people with an EMP you might get away without it. But chances are there will come a time where you can't hit anything.

kerzain
06-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it's intentional that over-equipped items are allowed in D.O.? Example: You drop some crew in a slot that boosts your Structure by a bunch of points, allowing you to equip a high quality peice of armor, then youo take the crew back out and put in some Radiation resists or something in its place, leaving the armor and its benefits.

This is typical and/or simply accepted as emergent gameplay in some games, but considered a bug/oversight in other designs. Not sure how I feel about it is Drox Operative, since it creates a bunch of busy work, although offering bigger rewards for the extra effort.

Reefpirate
06-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Personally I'd prefer that wasn't allowed in DO... Just because it'll be annoying to have to consider options like that while trying to fit the ship :P

Can you do this in the game right now?

kerzain
06-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Personally I'd prefer that wasn't allowed in DO... Just because it'll be annoying to have to consider options like that while trying to fit the ship :P

Can you do this in the game right now?

Yes you can do it right now, and I'd prefer it not be there either. I'd prefer the game be balanced against real builds, instead of super min/max stuff like this, gameplay elements like this would force me to do more work than I'd like to just to achieve that perfect build... because apparently I lack the willpower to ignore a potential benefit.

Virosa
06-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Yes i agree, items that no longer have required crew points should have its effectiveness reduced to 0%... i kinda disliked that in other games.

pnakotus
06-17-2012, 10:19 PM
You could do this in Dins as well, but I think the stats (and equipment unlocks) are a much bigger part of itemization in Drox. It probably shouldn't work due to the impact it has on cheesing loadouts.

Chumpy
06-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Actually, it doesn't work (with weapons, anyway). If you don't have the stats to use a weapon, you no longer gain the benefit of that weapon. If it's working with armor (is it working? have you checked the stats?) I'd assume that's a bug.

kerzain
06-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Actually, it doesn't work (with weapons, anyway). If you don't have the stats to use a weapon, you no longer gain the benefit of that weapon. If it's working with armor (is it working? have you checked the stats?) I'd assume that's a bug.
Right, what I forgot to specify is that it works for passive benefits only, not activated items like weapons. And yes, the benefit persists, I checked it and the result prompted my original post on the subject.

Chumpy
06-17-2012, 10:27 PM
I was kind of hoping that engineering wouldnt be required as i need a stat to ignore so i can put a point each level into command.

There is no reason to put a point each level in command. If you want to upgrade your ship, save your stat points until you can spend them all at once. Command gives you literally nothing until you cross the upgrade threshold.

pnakotus
06-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Saving them leaves you a pool to respond to the frequent 'awesome item you can't use without spending 9 points' situations, as well. The lack of per-point bonuses in command make this a no-penalty way to go about it.

DeathKnight1728
06-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Im still confused as to what to place my stats on a general lvl by lvl basis. I dont know just how useful command is and perhaps its usefulness doesnt come until lvl 10 and up. Ill have to see.

Just so i know, just how much different is the game with the new patch regarding energy? Are weapons costing double as much energy? If so i might have to rethink my tactics, or figure something else out.

Reefpirate
06-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Everything except beam weapons basically costs a lot more in terms of energy now. Expect to run out regularly!

Zengrath
06-17-2012, 11:32 PM
I only ever used beam weapons myself. always did find it annoying to run out of energy all time but i notice no change now. I didn't realize other weapons used so much less energy... didn't seem like it did in tooltips. but i didn't actually try any. i think i stayed away from missiles since i never see any that is even close to damage output of my beam weapons.

pnakotus
06-17-2012, 11:35 PM
I did the same, but from posts here it seems that the other weapons have a lot more utility than their tooltips suggest.

Reefpirate
06-17-2012, 11:39 PM
I think it was a simple error with the rate of fire... The weapons had the same energy costs, but beam weapons have the highest rate of fire so they consumed energy more often. Twice as often as the rail gun type weapons.