PDA

View Full Version : Propaganda/Sabotage/Rumor/Espionage worth using?

Chumpy
06-17-2012, 06:31 PM
I think it's super cool that these options exist, especially Sabotage.

I just haven't found a real reason to use them when I can just blow the up offending planets, which is something I need to do anyway.

Is there something I'm missing?

Zengrath
06-17-2012, 06:38 PM
I've used Rumor far more then others but there are some occasions when they are all useful and i would imagine some of others may become more useful in late game hopefully as sectors get harder.

But I've had some instances where i had a few races in my sector and i was allied with 2 of 3 of them for example. but that 3rd faction just didn't want to ally or fight other ones, so i would cause bad rumors for bad faction to get it to want to fight one of my allies then we would destroy them and win game.

Last game i played i also did opposite. one of factions this time kept staying around 50 standing with my allied faction and w already destroyed 2 others, so i just had to figure out if my ally should fight or ally with the last faction. i decided to do bunch of positive rumors on both using the best option which worked to give a decent boost, then i started getting many diplomat/gift quests which boosted their faction a lot more and allowed me to win game in what i think was much less time then if i didn't get involved... but i could be wrong :)

kerzain
06-17-2012, 06:47 PM
I haven't used them against enemies, because like you I find it easier to simply destroy the planet -- and if I'm not strong enough to do that, then I'll go out of my way to make friends with them anyway, because their all out destruction is probably not going to happen.

However, I do use them against super-powered allies and other friendlies, simply to help keep them check and to help even the odds a bit between the various factions they might otherwise be getting along with. If I let one power get too far ahead of the others then it's too much of a freaking headache to stamp them out or put them in their place if they're just dominating everybody. So, for the sake of balance, I try to keep everybody on equal footing, so the other teams can all join in on the slaughter if I need them to, and still have a chance of success.

Since I've only had a handful of games to measure from, it's hard to say exactly what effect this is actually having on the overall outcome of the game, but I find myself trying to prop up the weaklings and bop the super powers on the nose more than anything else.

If I simply can not get two factions to be friendly no matter what I do (because they're generating dislike for one another faster than I can manipulate/repair it or something) then I'm just having a hard time trying to figure out why I'd ever bother trying to topple a super power instead of just joining and helping them scrub the rest of the universe clean of weaklings. And I don't scrub away the chaff with sabotage, I blow them up.

In fact, I'm not even sure there's enough I could do to turn the tables if one guy is just better than everybody else, and he's the only obstacle between myself and victory; short of going planet to planet and destroying his settlements to loosen his grip on the galaxy. It's cheaper, and seemingly more effective, assuming I can take the defense fleet. But in these cases I usually just join him.

Chumpy
06-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Doesn't that cost a lot of money, though?

Seems the simplest way to win is to quest until you form an alliance with anyone at all. By that point there'll probably no more than one, maybe two other races (due to war and monsters) so just declare war on one, than the other. I play on Very Fast Pace; maybe it's different on Normal.

Rumor has the clearest "benefit", in that I actually understand how it would help me win. Killing everyone is just easier.

kerzain
06-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Doesn't that cost a lot of money, though?I don't know specifically what you're replying too, but if you're asking about the cost of sabotaging or manipulating friendlies, if I'm not mistaken it seems as though it's cheaper to do all those things to friendlies than it is to enemies. The prices seem (and I could be wrong) to be based on how much they like you. So if they're in love with you, stabbing them in the face is pretty cheap. It's trying to do anything other to a hated enemy other than destroy them that seem to get prohibitively expensive.

Seems the simplest way to win is to quest until you form an alliance with anyone at all.Well, remember, if they're at war with eachother or something, you lose something like 4 faction with a race's enemy for every 1 faction point you earn by doing quests for somebody. If you just run around doing quests unchecked, you can easily alienate several races against you by helping the wrong guy.

Now, this isn't a big deal if you plan to war against them anyway, but you gotta watch those like/dislike ratings to make sure they don't declare war at a particularly bad time.

Rumor has the clearest "benefit", in that I actually understand how it would help me win. Killing everyone is just easier.And yea, straight up genocide is one of the most reliable moves at the moment, unless you'd upset some friendlies by doing so.

Chumpy
06-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, remember, if they're at war with eachother or something, you lose something like 4 faction with a race's enemy for every 1 faction point you earn by doing quests for somebody. If you just run around doing quests unchecked, you can easily alienate several races against you by helping the wrong guy.

So I pick a side and stick with it. Not a problem. Most races seem to start out neutral towards each other anyway, so there's a nice grace period (especially on Very Fast) where I can just blow up random crap until someone pays me.

Now, this isn't a big deal if you plan to war against them anyway, but you gotta watch those like/dislike ratings to make sure they don't declare war at a particularly bad time.

Unless races share a sector, they're unlikely to wipe my favorite out before I get to them. The races in danger of dying die before I have a chance to anger their enemies.