PDA

View Full Version : Question about surplus energy

ShaggyMoose
06-17-2012, 06:35 PM
I know that having negative power will debuff your ship, while surplus power will increase your recharge rate. However, does the amount matter? Is the increase to energy recharge the same whether you have +1 surplus or +50? If its the same, I would suggest making them different, at least up until a cap.

profanicus
06-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Yes the amount does matter, I do not know the formula but having more surplus definitely gives you a faster recharge.

You can check the rate on the "other stats" screen, and see that it increases as you free up power.

NefariousKoel
06-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Also notice how the color of the bar will turn yellow before you reach maximum available power, somewhere in the last 10% or so. When that hits yellow, your ship speed seems to plummet, too.

ShaggyMoose
06-18-2012, 09:02 AM
You can check the rate on the "other stats" screen, and see that it increases as you free up power.
Thanks, I didn't think of that.

Jinsai
06-18-2012, 04:13 PM
In general, I think the power system is not very well explained.

I think it works something like this:
You have a "Power Capacity". This is the sum total of your ship and items that ADD power.

You have a "Power Load". This is how much power is SUBTRACTED by all of the items you have installed. Some (but not all) items have a power load. A few items have a NEGATIVE power load, which means they actually reduce the load other components create

Your weapons may use whatever power remains AFTER the above to fire. Having lots of excess power means you can fire a lot. Having no excess power means even if your weapon cooldown is ready, you can't fire.

You have a "Power Regen Rate". This determines how fast your excess power builds back up. Personally I am finding this to be the most important thing in the game to monitor.

Apparently if you have lots of excess power it regenerates faster? Didn't know that.

The challenge of the game is balancing the following items:
- Reactor capacity vs. other ship items
- Ship component power load of each component vs. excess power
- Excess power vs. Weapon strength
- Power regen vs. other options

I wish the UI made these things more clear. Would be great to have a view of which items are consuming the most power. Or maybe even a "first mate" that makes helpful suggestions like "Our weapons are draining our engines. We need bigger engines or smaller guns".