PDA

View Full Version : Dumb AI

Eagleheart
06-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Alright, so here's a few things I've noticed that seem to significantly impact the game that I don't think would be too hard to resolve. I don't know what you already intend to do in the future, so apologies if I point out something you're aware of. The following things probably need to be dealt with to improve the game though, in my opinion.

Attacking Planets

If you attack a planet from a distance with a long range weapon like a missile, the AI guarding the planet will just sit there and not react at all. You can just sit back and destroy the planet with no consequences. I suggest having all enemies guarding the planet come after you if you hit the planet or something.

Lambs To The Slaughter

The AI seems to pay no heed to what is on their path to their target. If they intend to attack an enemy planet, but there is another enemy planet on the path to it...they will just try to fly right past the planet as the defenders of it tear them to shreds. They don't even fire back. It's like they're lemmings. They should plan routes around enemy planets or at the very least react to coming across one and being attacked.

Mob Ignorance

A lot of times I have also seen the AI armies just fly past huge groups of random mobs and just keep on going. The mobs add up more and more as they keep ignoring them and by the time they get to where they're going, the mobs have significantly damaged a large portion of the army. They should probably destroy all mobs on their path, or at least when they are dealing a certain amount of damage.

Opportunity Targets

The AI doesn't seem to want to change targets when their is a clear advantage in doing so. Say they're on their way to attack a target and they come across a half destroyed undefended enemy planet. They won't take a few seconds to stay there and destroy it before continuing on their path. As with the last three issues, I guess you could just solve this by having them attack everything in their path.

I'm not sure how feasible this solution would be though. They would need to know when to retreat and I suppose there are some circumstances where it would be better to ignore targets or go around them. I think it far less of the time than when it is beneficial though, considering these current issues.

I just thought I'd point out these things. Hope it is of some help.

Oh, and it annoys me to no end that the galaxy and system maps use the same window. I try and get to the system one so I hit M and it opens up the galaxy one since I was looking at that last, and I have to keep hitting the button to toggle it... It would be very cool if you could make it so they were merely two separate windows and I could press a different hotkey to access each one.

Thanks for reading my input! :D

jonasan
07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
trawling old threads to find early feedback that still seems relevant and i find this - all of the points on the AI of ships i agree with completely, and would make things seem much more believable in the Drox Galaxy and the suggestion for spiltting the maps is a great idea! still linked with buttons from one to the next but a hot key to bring up one or the other would be a nice little touch.

ShaggyMoose
07-08-2012, 06:36 PM
The planet attack/defense behaviour at least is vastly improved in the previous two releases. Some work may still be required on the other criticisms, but certainly things are going in the right direction.

jonasan
07-09-2012, 03:35 AM
Its true for sure things have improved, and the whole game is going in a brilliant direction, but the point about fleets building up trailing mobs rather than stopping on route to wipe out attacking monsters still seems pertinent

BQwoobie
08-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Another problem is that enemies will sit still in space until you get close enough.

Shardz
08-09-2012, 03:40 AM
I certainly wouldn't call the AI dumb as there are functions and co-routines they get caught up in behind the scenes. There's a lot going on in this game at one time and the AI is listening for relevant calls while it's doing it's seek and destroy routine thing.

On all of the points of the OP, though; I have to agree with those items in general, as well. I've seen some rather goofy things and it would seem the AI just simply doesn't appear to be awake. I'd like to see more intelligent patrol maneuvers - and just out patrolling and moving around in general instead of parked out in space eating a sammich. :D