PDA

View Full Version : What does planet trouble actually do?

Chumpy
06-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Why does it matter if a planet has a drug wave or rebellion or Super Rats, etc? I notice there are penalties to things like Minerals Production and Population, but as a player I have zero knowledge of what this means for me.

I'm sure there are lots of interesting things going on behind the scenes, but I have no gameworld context with which to understand them.

( Tchey )
06-18-2012, 05:06 PM
When a planet is in trouble, you often have some quests to do to fix things up. Sadly it's more or less the same way to go : buy some specific crap somewhere and sell or give it back to the planet in need.

Shadow
06-18-2012, 05:10 PM
If you really want to know, many times the planet will have a status effect on it (usually less population growth or penalty to something like minerals production).

pnakotus
06-18-2012, 05:14 PM
How complex is the 4X backed for planets and factions? Is this information ever exposed to the player directly?

keith.lamothe
06-18-2012, 05:15 PM
I've seen unrest turn into rebellion and last night I saw a rebellion turn the planet over to a subrace of the controlling race (in this case destroying the controlling race because that was their only planet).

I imagine the various super-weeds and whatnot can lead to unrest.

Chumpy
06-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I know about getting quests and the status effects.

But what do the status effects actually mean for me, the Drox Operative? How do they affect the behavior of the race?

keith.lamothe
06-18-2012, 05:22 PM
But what do the status effects actually mean for me, the Drox Operative? How do they affect the behavior of the race?The lower a planet's production (and population figures into this I think), the slower it can fill out its defensive fleet, build combat ships to scout/patrol/attack, build colony ships, build cruise ships (which generate money when they reach their destionation), or build diplomat ships (which generate +relations when they reach their destination).

That's what I've seen thus far.

Shadow
06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
How complex is the 4X backed for planets and factions? Is this information ever exposed to the player directly?

For a full fledged 4X game it would be relatively simple, but for an RPG it's pretty complex. You as the player usually see more of the consequences than you would see anything directly.

Ghost Matter
06-18-2012, 05:48 PM
I think his questions shows how little these kind of things affect the player/Drox. There should be a system to make it more important for the player to help planets. Maybe there could be a "stipend" from each planet and it would be reduced?

pnakotus
06-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Even visually showing things would make the impact of actions clearer; whether wealth indicated by space traffic, or industry indicated by orbital structures, or defence indicated by space laser mines or whatever, their absence or increase would let a player know things are actually happening (which can be difficult to detect at the moment, beyond FACTION LEVELLED UP).

I mean most 4X games are mechanically pretty primitive, but the player interacts with that stuff directly. In Drox I sometimes wonder if anything is actually going on inside the planets, because little seems to change.

Bluddy
06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't know much about the planet mechanics, so there may be some things I'll suggest that already exist.

If it's true that planets are self-contained ecosystems that can produce anything (diplomats, spaceships, trade, food etc) then perhaps it's better to split up the functionality into separate planets.

The idea being that some planets have what it takes to generate food. Others have minerals to build ships with. Others still will have the facilities to train diplomats. Huge, hospitable planets could have dual functions, and tiny planets will barely have any function but may still have important minerals that need to be mined.

What this would mean is that every planet becomes an important link in the supply chain of the race. Cut off a few planets producing food, and the whole race will starve to death or beg its allies for food. Besiege a planet that produces the weapons and military for the race, and the race can't grow.

This is a way to make every planet have a role and importance. This would then make it important to help your allies' planets and attack your opponents' planets. The big question here is also, will the AI be able to handle such a level of complexity?

keith.lamothe
06-18-2012, 06:43 PM
My guess is that it's possible to have a whole race starve because it has the wrong kind of planets, races will be starving a lot :) Set a hole in front of a robot, and all.

But if it worked out well, yea, meaningful and interruptible supply chains are great fun.

pnakotus
06-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Even having planets have different attributes, such that a race might desire a money planet, or a food planet, or whatever, would perhaps create more conflict and competition. Colony rushes are traditionally defeated in 4X games by limiting colonisation abilities early on; you can use the same idea in Drox, especially if the AI are better at judging risk (and don't just send wave after wave of colony ships to the same hostile sytem to get instantly destroyed).

Money planets, toxic planets, planets that require a certain level or technology or race to exploit, planets being a major cost to colonise, all these things should concentrate the action more than it is at present.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Even having planets have different attributes, such that a race might desire a money planet, or a food planet, or whatever, would perhaps create more conflict and competition.

Money planets, toxic planets, planets that require a certain level or technology or race to exploit, planets being a major cost to colonise, all these things should concentrate the action more than it is at present.

Most of these already exist in the game.

Bluddy
06-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Most of these already exist in the game.

How do these impact the game? If I destroy or sabotage a food planet, will the race have a hard time getting enough food for its population, causing mass starvation?

Shadow
06-19-2012, 12:04 PM
How do these impact the game? If I destroy or sabotage a food planet, will the race have a hard time getting enough food for its population, causing mass starvation?

It's possible, but at the moment I'm not sure you would notice.

Bluddy
06-19-2012, 12:11 PM
It's possible, but at the moment I'm not sure you would notice.

Is this stuff calculated? For example, after obtaining a food-rich planet, a race should be able to expand its population significantly. At this point, targeting 1 or 2 food-rich planets would then significantly lower the amount of food the race is producing, which should cause starvation and death throughout the empire until the population reaches the point at which it can be supported. The tricky thing is making the AI realize that it needs to quickly find another food source or trade for food. But is this kind of stuff calculated behind the scenes?

Shadow
06-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Right now a food rich planet will increase in population much faster than other planets and they can ship food from a food rich planet to other planets to help them, so yes much of this works already.

Lyranaar
06-19-2012, 03:57 PM
It would be great the see/get informed more what the races on the planet are doing or which problems they have. Making the 4X game they are playing more visible to the player.

This would make the feeling of some of the suggested quests more meaningful.

Taking this thought further perhaps even sponsoring some things for a colony you want to see surviving could be great. (Take this cash and buy some decent defense system/the new hydroponic farms/etc.!)

When looking closely the races definitely do meaningful things already, freighters, even tourists(!) but it is sadly a bit under the radar while being important to the result of the game.

Often you see them getting a cash boost when the tourists finally get there (and then you can sell).

I don't know how detailed the simulation really is. Many things look absolutely cool there.
If it's already in the game it would bring out much more depth to actually show more of it and being able to interact in more detail with it.

( Tchey )
06-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I'd like to see a kind of galatic encyclopia, with just logs entries maybe, like we can see in Dwarf Fortress. So that we have stories to tell, so that we know what's going on, and why we'are questing (over than just "we need more food").