PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen of Death

Sneakymice
01-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Um, can anybody help me?

I played Depths of Evil on my cousin's computer many times (housesitting), and enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately now I cant run the game. When I click on the exe, it appear a black screen with only the mouse activate. I can hear the sound just fine though.

It's very puzzling since 5 hours ago I played normally, and shut down the comp normally too. Now turning it on and played:... Black Screen of Death.

I wouldnt touch anything strange since it's not my comp. It's my experimental build comp of my cousin, so it may have some strange things in there. But I am not really sure, since I saw there's almost nothing strange inside: bitdefender, myie, and normal stuff. WinXp.

Please help me to turn the game back on. Or when my cousin's back he's gonna get pissed off.

Kruztee
01-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Nothing like that has ever happened to me so I can't really give any advice that I know will work...
Perhaps moving or renaming the user.cfg file and restarting Depths of Peril (will reset the configuration settings back to default) might work?
Failing that, backing up character data and re-installing the game would probably not take long and should fix things up.

Hope you can get it working soon.:(

Sneakymice
01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
It's no use. Before posting in this forum I tried to reinstall the game many times, every times it appear black screen with sound and mouse, and no other image.

Tried it with vanilla (v1.3), or update to 1.7... totally no use.

Delve
01-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Possibly a video driver update is in order.

Sneakymice
01-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Uh... auto restore or somthing?

I restarted, then tried the game. It ran normally for a few minute, the whole PC froze... Now I was scared. I installed the updated driver for geforce 5200. The game now can run almost normally, other than a few corruptions in the icon (champion, covenant herald...). Then the whole game start fragment, graphically I mean. the image on screen start, um, fragmenting into pieces. I just altf4 out.

Well, this is it for me, today. I will try my hands tomorrow. Luckily I still have a few days before my cousin's back. the problem is starting today, since a few hours ago so I hope it will go away on its own tomorrow...

AGGGGRRRRR

Kruztee
01-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I installed the updated driver for geforce 5200. The game now can run almost normally, other than a few corruptions in the icon (champion, covenant herald...). Then the whole game start fragment, graphically I mean. the image on screen start, um, fragmenting into pieces.

It's possible that a hardware fault is to blame if you were previously running the game without a problem. Is the video card being overclocked? Perhaps if there is a fan on the card it might have stopped spinning. Also check for accumulations of dust on the card and around the heatsink if there is one.

That's about all I can think of...:confused:

Delve
01-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Extra dust anywhere in the case should be removed, really. And check the CPU fan as well, though most modern boards will sound a very obvious temperature alarm if the CPU overheats.

Oh, don't touch anything while you're in there either! Use a can of compressed air for the dust.