PDA

View Full Version : Default Attacks

Reefpirate
06-19-2012, 12:06 AM
I liked how quickly the .901 beta patch came out to balance the bombs, mines and kinetic weapons in terms of energy consumption, but I've now found that I have a serious lack of energy.

Buying energy spikes as a money sink is pretty cool, but it seems I have to use at least one for any engagement larger than a few mobs. Even when optimizing gear for energy regen and capacity, I never really feel comfortable any more.

So, tonight I went back to play a bit of Din's Curse after a long time away from it... And it dawned on me! In Din's Curse every character has a default attack! And it costs 0 mana!

I'm not sure how you would fit this in to Drox, but I'm thinking that each ship should come with a default attack that is either very low on energy consumption or uses no energy at all. This default attack could be significantly weaker than your component attacks, but at least it gives you some damage output while you're waiting for your energy to regenerate.

Also, you could allow certain stats or components to increase the effectiveness of the default attack, but still have the 'heavy guns' that cost energy for when you want serious damage output. The default attack could also be a clever way to differentiate the different races by having different types of default attacks.

What do you think?

pnakotus
06-19-2012, 12:08 AM
I think more equipment having skills is a way around this, as well. If you had more options (and more low-power options, without wasting a slot on a low power weapon) power management would be more interesting.