PDA

View Full Version : What hurts the brain more than contracts?

Shadow
01-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Taxes. :( I swear every year my taxes get more and more complicated. My 2007 tax return was the most painful yet (doing them, not what I have to pay). The sad part, I already know that 2008 is going to be even worse.

I don't think it would be good for the economy, but a straight federal sales tax with no income tax is starting to sound really good right now for some reason.

Delve
01-23-2008, 07:55 PM
A straight sales tax would (so they say, and I lean toward believing it) be proportionally worse for the poor.

A progressive sales tax (sliding scale or segment based adjustment of tax rate) would bring screams of anger and dismay from business. So that's out.

I think we're sadly stuck with what we have, current Rep hopefuls notwithstanding.

Kruztee
01-23-2008, 08:10 PM
You guys just aren't thinking hard enough.

Here's what I'd do.

I'd get together whatever amount of crystals that I could and start a rumour about the federal government. Then there's a good chance that they'd lose a lot of influence and you guys would have to pay less taxes. This totally original idea just came to me as I was reading this thread, I swear.
:D

Shadow
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm kidding about the sales tax thing. I don't really think that it's a good idea. I can think of a ton of reasons why it wouldn't really work (would hurt the poor, it would encourage people not to spend which is bad for the economy, easier to cheat the system, etc.). It would just be nice if taxes were a lot simpler than they are now. I like Kruztee's idea though. :)

Delve
01-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Kruztee for president!

As regards taxes, damned if you do, etc. There's no perfect solution to government income and even if there were you'd still be changing it every 5 years as conditions fluctuate.

SamMcMackin
01-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I am happy about this year because I got married near the end of 07 so now I get a bigger refund!