PDA

View Full Version : How to improve standing with races that don't offer quests?

meriton
06-19-2012, 05:01 PM
In my first sector, there are three races remaining, allied with each other. I am allied with two of them. However, I don't see how I can get on friendly terms with the third race (they hold a single planet, and don't offer any quests. Shooting down hostiles around their planet doesn't seem to improve standing either), or break up the lover's triangle (I see a diplomat ship arrive every couple seconds, each conferring +2.5 to relations ...).

keith.lamothe
06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
If you do quests for that one's allies it should increase relations with that one too (not as much, perhaps, haven't checked).

Also, probably they all have lots of money, and if they like you enough they'll give you money, which you can give to the one-planet one to increase relations.

Reefpirate
06-19-2012, 05:08 PM
There are a few options:
-You can keep trying to kill hostiles around their planet. Sometimes this doesn't work, and I'm not sure under what conditions it does work. But when it does work it can be quite profitable for reputation.
- You can trade with their planets... Go farm a bunch of components out in the sector and sell it all at their colony, this grants you faction reputation. If they run out of cash, you can donate it to them with the donate box. This can be slow, but is an option.
- Lastly, I'm not sure about this, but maybe you can sabotage one of their planets or steal one of their technologies and then 'solve' their problem with a quest they might hand out? You risk being discovered and losing rep this way, but I suppose it is an option...

keith.lamothe
06-19-2012, 05:12 PM
On the killing-stuff-near-their-planets I think it's related to both proximity and "is the thing actually targeting the planet?" (I think targeting the guards or other ships of that race can qualify too).

fluffybot
06-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Exploring planets and selling the data to factions can increase your relations with them. Same with technology. Defending planets only works if the planet itself is the target.

Bluddy
06-19-2012, 05:30 PM
There are a few options:
- Lastly, I'm not sure about this, but maybe you can sabotage one of their planets or steal one of their technologies and then 'solve' their problem with a quest they might hand out? You risk being discovered and losing rep this way, but I suppose it is an option...

I'd like to see this option be the most profitable in terms of reputation. This is, in my mind, exactly the way the Drox should go and 'force' a race to befriend them. It's risky, it's sneaky and it's awesome.

Oh, also, it's be cool to be able to attract a boss over to their planet and then destroy it for them.

LostSoul
06-19-2012, 07:20 PM
The issue is that your standings with any particular faction decays faster than you can usually accrue pieces or parts to sell to them, far faster than you can amass credits to buy better standings, or acquire other tidbits to trade with them like planet locations or the like.

And yet, races actively attacking one another somehow have "hostile" but stable faction standings in or around 30-40.

In my case, the main race dominating the sector has befriended another race with a single lone planet. They disliked me, they disliked one of "big race's" allies (which I fixed but only just barely), and they have no quests of any kind. I can't do any sort of combat around their planet to improve my standings because it's being inundated with waves of tradeships and diplomats that obliterate anything in their path.

I can sell stuff and trade with them but that is absurdly slow and it's time that results in my standings decaying with the OTHER factions faster than it builds with theirs. The only option I had was to pony up a HUGE chunk of credits (20k) to get their view of me to change. They STILL had no quests afterwards either.

All the while the rogue expansionist faction is growing rapidly and is at war with everyone and does so completely uncontested. Something is very wrong here.

ollobrains
06-19-2012, 09:02 PM
found that in my latest game dryads 1 sector, the cortex and the shadow are the big powers and are stable, i created 6 races 1 the humans are removed that however still leaves 2 undsicovered.

And yes am noticing an increase in trade and diplo ships of the two main factions the shadow have a lot of quests around monsters the other thing u could do is get the 2 big powers to goto war.

The only thing id like to see is more more more content, more ways of interaction, dins curse and previous games seem to reach a point they are complex but they could be a lot more complex this could be applied here instead of moving onto the next game lets expand trade goods between planets they mine gold faster or silver faster but those items are never traded. Lets have planets play a more diverse role, asteroid settlements not seen em, moons same applies.

In those gravitational pockets they just have derelicts but nothing more lets populate hidden space a bit a lot lot more could be done here. An interaction and changing space world ala space wolves or space raiders 2 needs to be more content and whats the world interactivity raised up

Last option is to get the factions to goto war with each other