PDA

View Full Version : What Ship Outfits Work For You?

spacehog
06-20-2012, 01:52 PM
I've been having a hard time finding a good outfit for the ship I'm flying, so I'm looking for some advice and suggestions.

My biggest character is a level 30 human ship. (I think it's been upgraded 3 times via command attribute, but I can't remember what the ship is called.) There are two main strategies that I've tried so far. In general, I try to maximize the power load available to the fullest extent.
1) Lot's of armor instead of any thrust, an awesome fighter bay, and a nuclear bomb. This worked pretty well, as I could tank most of the damage, weaken lots of mobs at the same time with the bomb, and the fighters would finish them off. The lack of speed drove me crazy, though.
2) Lots of speed instead of armor, a decent laser, and a pretty good mine. Weaken the mobs with mines, finish them off with the laser, run away from hard fights. This worked well but the lack of armor meant lots of deaths, and the energy would drain too fast to do much damage in any given fight.

I've focused the attributes on tactical, helm, and structure, mostly. What kinds of gear combinations have worked well for you? I'm especially interested in ideas that maximize the use of energy so that I can save money and avoid using energy stims constantly during battle, as that particular addiction can get quite expensive.

LostSoul
06-20-2012, 02:18 PM
I've done the following:

2 heavy power plants, 1 heavy weapon, 1 heavy thruster.
2 medium thrusters, 1 medium weapon, 1 medium shield.
2 battery chargers , 2 light thrusters.

Most of these components show up by around level 10. If you're dedicated, you can find light power plants, but I find that energy regen (and thus chargers) to be of a much bigger concern in protracted combat. It should be noted: The on-use energy restoration systems restore less energy than good chargers will. I've got a 4 and 5 energy per second chargers (that's 180 and 200 energy per minute, significantly more than any of on-use versions offer so far). _edit_ It's my opinion that the on-use energy systems, and +energy batteries need to be much more power efficient than they currently are. They simply do not do enough for their power consumption to warrant using them.

Why Shields? Because they regenerate naturally, and can be augmented with ancient power stations *for free*. Aim for shields that have roughly 1/2 their total shield amount in power consumption though, as they're the most efficient forms. These exist and can have large shield quantities but are quite hard to find.

Auto-repair systems are less "space" efficient because then you need to dump ANOTHER slot to pick up some armor (or you're wasting 75% of the auto-repair module's reason for existing since the structure repair rate is vastly smaller than the armor repair is). They also use pretty much the same amounts of power as shields do. And if you're doing armor...it's going to be a heavy module because medium armor modules are barely worth the time taken to size them up (which is sad because medium structure modules, though rare, tend to offer structure in amounts equivalent to heavy armor modules). Armor/structure can be repaired at faction planets, but that costs precious credits and does NOT give you a rep increase for the credits spent. As you can guess, all of these negatives add up strongly in favor of shields for me.

Why so many thrusters? Because moving at ultra-slow speeds is about as boring as watching paint dry.

( Tchey )
06-20-2012, 02:18 PM
My current toon is level 12 or 13. I didn't put a single point into Command, nor in Structure.

So my ship is 3/3/3 and very weak as it has no structure (40 or 45 i think), but it's light, so one thruster is enough to almost cap max speed.

I fight from behind : max speed in strait line, mine/missile/mine/missile... until my enemy-bus is dead.

Heavy :
- Big reactor to have big power.
- Big thruster.
- Missile. I'd like a bomb but didn't find one yet.

Medium :
- Shield.
- Shield.
- Mine.

Light :
- Pod.
- Crew (minor upgrade to Tactical)
- +6 Regen energy

Reefpirate
06-20-2012, 02:45 PM
I've done the following:

2 heavy power plants, 1 heavy weapon, 1 heavy thruster.
2 medium thrusters, 1 medium weapon, 1 medium shield.
2 battery chargers , 2 light thrusters.

Most of these components show up by around level 10. If you're dedicated, you can find light power plants, but I find that energy regen (and thus chargers) to be of a much bigger concern in protracted combat. It should be noted: The on-use energy restoration systems restore less energy than good chargers will. I've got a 4 and 5 energy per second chargers (that's 180 and 200 energy per minute, significantly more than any of on-use versions offer so far). _edit_ It's my opinion that the on-use energy systems, and +energy batteries need to be much more power efficient than they currently are. They simply do not do enough for their power consumption to warrant using them.

Why Shields? Because they regenerate naturally, and can be augmented with ancient power stations *for free*. Aim for shields that have roughly 1/2 their total shield amount in power consumption though, as they're the most efficient forms. These exist and can have large shield quantities but are quite hard to find.

Auto-repair systems are less "space" efficient because then you need to dump ANOTHER slot to pick up some armor (or you're wasting 75% of the auto-repair module's reason for existing since the structure repair rate is vastly smaller than the armor repair is). They also use pretty much the same amounts of power as shields do. And if you're doing armor...it's going to be a heavy module because medium armor modules are barely worth the time taken to size them up (which is sad because medium structure modules, though rare, tend to offer structure in amounts equivalent to heavy armor modules). Armor/structure can be repaired at faction planets, but that costs precious credits and does NOT give you a rep increase for the credits spent. As you can guess, all of these negatives add up strongly in favor of shields for me.

Why so many thrusters? Because moving at ultra-slow speeds is about as boring as watching paint dry.
Are you sure you need so many thrusters? You Max Speed caps at 200, and it seems to me that that many thrusters on your ship should be putting you over that cap!

keith.lamothe
06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Why so many thrusters? Because moving at ultra-slow speeds is about as boring as watching paint dry.Are you sure you need so many? I'm running a 3/4/4 ship (the next upgrade is to 4/4/4, I already got the one that increases base HP) on a single medium thruster that has my max speed at 192 (200 is the cap). I have another medium thruster in my stash that will probably provide 200 speed to a 4/4/4 ship, I just need to put a few more points into Helm to be able to use it.

And I've got another significantly-higher-Helm medium thruster in the stash that I think could get a 4/5/5 up to max too. And I've found and sold probably a dozen other medium thrusters in that range or higher, just not wanting to keep not-completely-amazing upgrades I probably won't need for 20 levels.

LostSoul
06-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Are you sure you need so many? I'm running a 3/4/4 ship (the next upgrade is to 4/4/4, I already got the one that increases base HP) on a single medium thruster that has my max speed at 192 (200 is the cap). I have another medium thruster in my stash that will probably provide 200 speed to a 4/4/4 ship, I just need to put a few more points into Helm to be able to use it.

And I've got another significantly-higher-Helm medium thruster in the stash that I think could get a 4/5/5 up to max too. And I've found and sold probably a dozen other medium thrusters in that range or higher, just not wanting to keep not-completely-amazing upgrades I probably won't need for 20 levels.

Not according to the stats I was looking at. I was only at ~112 speed. Total thrust is way over 200 yes, but that's before ship mass is factored in.

keith.lamothe
06-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Not according to the stats I was looking at. I was only at ~112 speed. Total thrust is way over 200 yes, but that's before ship mass is factored in.Just checking: were you near a planet or other grav well when you looked at the stats?

To get 200 normal speed you just need thrust = 2*weight.

LostSoul
06-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Just checking: were you near a planet or other grav well when you looked at the stats?

To get 200 normal speed you just need thrust = 2*weight.

>.>

I might have been? *sigh* Probably?

Aganazer
06-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Kinda off topic, but LostSoul got me thinking about it.

I would like to see 4 viable tanking outfits.
- Shield buffer (high shield, slow regen)
- Shield regen (low shield, high regen)
- Armor buffer (high armor, slow repair)
- Armor regen (low armor, high regen)

I remember it being similar to that in EVE online. In fact, their whole ship setup system is very similar to Drox so its probably a good system to emulate.

( Tchey )
06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure you will get enough regen to stay alive, with small shield/armor and big regen option, at least not before a lot of level up.

ScrObot
06-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Just checking: were you near a planet or other grav well when you looked at the stats?

I nearly submitted a bug about this before because I thought the calculation wasn't working right. I think there should be some kind of indicator in the Max Speed popup that says you're in a gravity well. You're most likely to be looking at those stats when at a planet anyway.

Perhaps something like the following (red parts added):

---
Max Speed
The max speed of your ship is usually the thrust your engines and thrusters provide divided by the weight of your ship hull. Your max speed is reduced when in a gravity well.
Note: the max speed ever is 200

Current amount: 200 (134 due to gravity well)
Thrust: 261
Weight: 90

Engines and Thrusters increase Max Speed.
---

The Max Speed displayed on the Character screen should still show the "current" (gravity well affected) max speed, as it currently does.

LostSoul
06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Heavy :
- Big reactor to have big power.
- Big thruster.
- Missile. I'd like a bomb but didn't find one yet.

Medium :
- Shield.
- Shield.
- Mine.

Light :
- Pod.
- Crew (minor upgrade to Tactical)
- +6 Regen energy

Just out of curiosity, but why'd you go with the Pod? My experience has been that they're mostly pointless. Is there something that they do that hasn't been pertinent to the way I've built my ship? (ie, crew don't survive ship explosions with you unless you have an escape pod?).

Bluddy
06-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, but why'd you go with the Pod? My experience has been that they're mostly pointless. Is there something that they do that hasn't been pertinent to the way I've built my ship? (ie, crew don't survive ship explosions with you unless you have an escape pod?).

I've also found no advantage to having an escape pod. Seems to me like it's something that's only necessary for hardcore or semi-hardcore mode. It's another thing that loses its spot to crew members.

( Tchey )
06-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Pod are quite useless. I've one in this ship because i'm still low level and don't have any other crew. And it's a "legendary pod" with some more bonuses.

With an other toon i have on regen energy, and three crews.

LostSoul
06-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Pod are quite useless. I've one in this ship because i'm still low level and don't have any other crew. And it's a "legendary pod" with some more bonuses.

With an other toon i have on regen energy, and three crews.

I was under the impression (and it says so on the pods themselves) that they only convey their bonus stats ... well, when they're *in use*.

Shadow
06-20-2012, 07:09 PM
BTW, it is my intention that eventually there will be a lot of viable builds.

Reefpirate
06-20-2012, 08:23 PM
BTW, it is my intention that eventually there will be a lot of viable builds.
Good to know! There seems to be a lot of worrying about this lately... And it is probably because a lot of us are unsure how long and how deep the beta will be.

I'm delighted by the speed of updates so far... keep 'em coming!