PDA

View Full Version : Idea: switching items off

Bluddy
06-20-2012, 09:19 PM
I was thinking about the fact that, as someone mentioned before on the forum, many space battle games add tactical power management to make battles more interesting. Essentially what they have is the ability to switch shields on or off during battle, or to switch power to thrust or to the battle computer.

I then noticed that in Drox, the functionality still remains that if you drag an item to the hotbar and then select it, the game thinks you want to equip it as you do in DC, and tells you (if you're in combat) "you can't equip this now". This functionality made sense in DC where you could easily save items to equip on the hotbar. In Drox, this functionality doesn't really make sense, since items have so many limitations on them.

What I suggest is that instead of switching items, selecting an equipped item in the hotbar would turn that item on or off to save power. Players would be encouraged to equip items somewhat beyond their power capacity, and then to turn them on and off as needed. During battle, I might first put up my shield, causing myself to run out of power, and then, as my target gets further away, turn the shields off to catch up and shoot them down.

fluffybot
06-20-2012, 10:51 PM
That makes a lot of sense, great idea. Another thought is overcharging: triple/quadruple your components' effectiveness at the cost of rapidly decreased durability, giving you the chance to turn the tides of battle for desperate times. A good way to keep it as a last resort is when the components fail, they can destroy your ship and/or kill your crew. I was thinking of this as a ship-wide toggle, though it could be used as a double-tap the quickbar slot or right-click for a single activation, such as an extra-powerful laser blast or a burst of speed to escape a bad situation.

orb
06-21-2012, 08:26 AM
The items in your hold need crew to install them. Particularly weapons tend to be installed on the outside. Do you want your crew members to be shot at with enemy ship lasers while installing things? ;)

I think a rearrangement of how slots and power works would be a good idea, though. Ships could easily have many more slots, but your total power output would limit what could be active in each slot.

fluffybot
06-21-2012, 08:10 PM
The items in your hold need crew to install them. Particularly weapons tend to be installed on the outside. Do you want your crew members to be shot at with enemy ship lasers while installing things? ;)

I think a rearrangement of how slots and power works would be a good idea, though. Ships could easily have many more slots, but your total power output would limit what could be active in each slot.

Something like forcing components to be tied to power sources? That'd be pretty interesting and would make each power source much more valuable. Taking out one's solar array stinks, but if that solar array was tied to a shield you could be up a certain creek without a paddle.

Personally I think the way things are is fine, but I like your idea too, even if I took some liberties.

My crew are always the first to go anyways, so it really wouldn't make much difference what they're doing. :p The only time a component gets broken on my ship is when all of my meat shields have finished protecting it with their lives. Weapon exhaust systems are important, you know.