PDA

View Full Version : Exploration AI needs a fix

Sendrien
06-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I think I've identified why some races will prefer to colonize a planet 2 systems away while neglecting 5 or 6 terran/paradise planets right next to them (even after they've been given the coordinates by the Drox Operative).

It is my suspicion that each race will try to colonize the first planet they come into contact with. And this is where the exploration AI needs a fix for the early game - if a race's scouts happen to find a starlane, and then find another starlane close by, they will continue randomly exploring, and potentially find a "first" planet several systems away.

If they are instead tweaked to behave like logical players would, they would simply turn back at the starlane and scout nearby planets inside their home system to colonize before branching out.

Waffles
06-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Interesting! Sounds like solid analysis. However, continuing to explore outward before thoroughly examining each star system i think is a good thing. Time of detection is a really interesting algorithm for colonization, because it tends to encourage erratic quick outward growth, and something very methodical would be slower and less interesting to the player. Perhaps tweaking the formula somewhat to encourage slightly safer growth and discouraging repeated failure would be good.

I'm thinking the algorithm would choose the lowest of something like:
Time of Discovery + 5 minutes * (distance in sectors from home sector) + 10 minutes * (failed attempts)