PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Free discovered jump gates for missions

oznogg
06-20-2012, 10:05 PM
This suggestion request is twofold, and has one major drawback that I can think of. I hate being the "I want a pony" guy, but I kinda want a pony :D

I feel like if a Race is going to offer me a quest, they should have to provide means for me to get to the star system when it is yet undiscovered. This could be a free one-way portal, it could be the system gate, or at bare minimum, the connecting systems to form a path on the sector map.

One problem I have with the Soldak-style questing system is the inability to "decline" missions, which ultimately leads to a stagnant game. If the Dryad want me to fly across the sector to eliminate an uprising, fine! However, if I have no idea how to get to that system, I am ultimately stuck with said mission until it escalates, at which point, I still am stuck with the same issues, since the game repopulates the quest with "The rebel Vex has risen from the rebellion in the galaxy you still haven't figured out how to get to". The game itself feels as though it generates fewer missions when there are missions already available. As a consequence, until I manage to get to a system, I am stuck with little to strive for.

As a Drox Operative, I would really enjoy the ability to say to a race "Sorry, this mission is not worth my time. The money isn't good, and you can't help me achieve it in an efficient manner." Lazy? Perhaps. But nobody ever said a Drox Operative was ambitious!!!

The downside, of course, is the fact that exploring is very rewarding. It is pretty neat to pick up a mission that sends me to the other side of the sector, and all the risks that go along with getting there (and back!) safely. Ultimately, however, stagnant, apparently far-removed missions slow the pace of the game down a bit too much.

TLDR: Jump gates/portals to far-reaching missions would be nice. If not, the ability to decline a mission, regardless of the consequences, would help repopulate the game with different missions that may be more local.

Sendrien
06-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Can't agree more. Nothing irritates me more than having half a dozen missions which I have no efficient way of completing for the totally juvenile reason that the mission-givers couldn't be bothered to share their map vision.

fluffybot
06-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Better yet, a free ride: the quest giver (if accepted in person) can give you a lift to the sector, but you'll have to find the way back yourself. Basically, an unstable wormhole that puts you where you need to be.

"Just tie your heap to the bumper and take a nap. We'll be there before you know it." I wonder which race is best at tying knots. The Fringe can probably tie a mean slip knot.

Valgor
06-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Races should be more generous with selling jumpgate coordinates in general, especially when they have quests for the player in that system.

Geokinesis
06-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Races should be more generous with selling jumpgate coordinates in general, especially when they have quests for the player in that system.

Definitely this.

I found it super hard to buy Jumpgate coords even from staunch allies, especially when I wanted to jump to the system and defend them from another race.

orb
06-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Independent traders would be the people to ask for coordinates, wouldn't they? They should sell maps.

Valgor
06-25-2012, 07:05 AM
That's an excellent idea!

They should sell some advanced technology from time to time, too.

oznogg
06-25-2012, 03:08 PM
That's an excellent idea!

They should sell some advanced technology from time to time, too.

Oooooooooo love this idea! Could be very rare and expensive, a potential booster for late game.

spacehog
06-25-2012, 05:42 PM
One problem I have with the Soldak-style questing system is the inability to "decline" missions, which ultimately leads to a stagnant game.

What do you mean by decline? You can definitely ignore quests (although like you said there are repercussions) and you can decline them after you have accepted them. I very rarely play a game of Din's/Drox/DoP where I can finnish every quest without some becoming obsolete or just failing them altogether. Failing/declining/prioritizing is part of the fun imo! In Drox Op, more so than any of the other Soldak games I've played, I feel like I can ignore quests altogether and try to manipulate the worlds with violence and/or credits. (I likely just misunderstand what you mean by decline.)

I also support the ideas in this thread for purchasing maps etc.

oznogg
06-25-2012, 09:20 PM
What do you mean by decline? You can definitely ignore quests (although like you said there are repercussions) and you can decline them after you have accepted them. I very rarely play a game of Din's/Drox/DoP where I can finnish every quest without some becoming obsolete or just failing them altogether. Failing/declining/prioritizing is part of the fun imo! In Drox Op, more so than any of the other Soldak games I've played, I feel like I can ignore quests altogether and try to manipulate the worlds with violence and/or credits. (I likely just misunderstand what you mean by decline.)

I also support the ideas in this thread for purchasing maps etc.

Have you tried to "decline" a colonization mission? It doesn't work.

fluffybot
06-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Yes, we'd like you to colonize planet X in system Y.
What's the size of the planet I'm looking for?
Not a clue.
What kind of threats can I expect in the system?
Never been there.
Godspeed, operative!

Can't say I'd want to be on that ship.

spacehog
06-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Have you tried to "decline" a colonization mission? It doesn't work.

Fair enough. I rarely to do the colonization missions, so I wasn't aware.