PDA

View Full Version : Making "speed" builds viable

void
06-20-2012, 11:38 PM
I think some relatively achievable tweaks to Drox would make it much more fun to play a highly "speed" oriented build (with correspondingly weaker offense and defense). Such a build requires better reflexes and ship control to use effectively, so people who like 2D space arcade action would have more fun. People who don't like the "twitch" aspect would choose heavier builds.

As an experiment, I made roughly the following changes myself by modding .901:

* Increased max speed, so it's possible to build very fast ships, but not without sacrifices

* Decreased the "life" of missiles and decreased their turning rate slightly, so that if you evade them they miss

* Changed the projectile type of "ballistics" to "straight" so they can miss (but sped them up). (An alternative would be to make them more like missiles, with a limited turning speed.)

I didn't tweak all of this to perfection, but I had a lot of fun playing this way - enough to convince me that there is real potential here. You actually care about which enemies have which attack types (you can't evade beams, and evasion is different for missiles and ballistics). You can't evade effectively with a slow ship, but can with a fast ship (watch out for slowing effects, though!)

The next thing I would do is add a new weapon type or two suited for "fast" ships. Basically I am looking for an advantage (better dps, low power consumption, etc) at the cost of making it hard to hit things (low range, slow firing rate, nontracking projectile, small firing arc, etc). (Ballistics served me for this in my test, since my changes made them harder to hit with)

The big engine enhancement that would make all this way better would be to have actual (2D) velocity for ships. That is, turning a ship shouldn't instantly change its direction of movement, only its direction of acceleration. This change would make "arcade" style play *much* more fun and probably make things look nicer all around (more of a "space" feel)

There are a few other things that I'd like to do but don't know how to or can't do without engine changes:

* Weapon arcs. Others have suggested this. If the engine supported this I would make (smaller?) enemies' beam weapons directional (so you could get behind them or "cross the T") and make new weapon classes or subclasses for players that had limited firing arcs. E.g. a "forward laser" would do more damage or fit in a smaller slot but only fire forward; a "broadside laser" would only fire to the side. Again the philosophy is to make omnidirectional battleship builds still viable but allow for alternatives.

* Leading. "Straight" projectiles don't lead the target. So they miss too easily.

* (Partially) separate turning speed, acceleration and max speed. Engines increase all three, but with separate rolls for each stat. Maybe make some subclasses of engines that are biased one way or another.

Please consider this direction!

void
06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
I was also able to make a rudimentary forward-firing cannon. But I was only able to get it to hit things other than my current target by setting HitsEverything 1, which means it can hit allies (resulting in an automatic declaration of war)

Shadowy Figure
06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Can you attach the mod file? I'm curious about those changes.

void
06-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Hmm. Shadow, how do you feel about people posting mods here during beta?

Shadow
06-25-2012, 01:11 PM
That's a good question and I'm not sure I have a good answer. I don't mind you guys exploring and finding things that you feel are better, but at the same time I don't want everyone to start permanently playing with mods yet, because it will make bug/balancing much more difficult.

LostSoul
06-25-2012, 01:53 PM
I'd like to suggest that missiles have extremely limited active seek times. Five to six seconds of guided pursuit before burning out their fuel stores and being purely ballistic. Or perhaps a non-replenishing energy store that gets depleted as they maneuver (tighter, more aggressive turns consume more energy) which leaves the missile unable to further maneuver once the energy is exhausted.

The current perpetual actively homing missiles are a little...odd.

Bluddy
06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
I'd like to suggest that missiles have extremely limited active seek times. Five to six seconds of guided pursuit before burning out their fuel stores and being purely ballistic. Or perhaps a non-replenishing energy store that gets depleted as they maneuver (tighter, more aggressive turns consume more energy) which leaves the missile unable to further maneuver once the energy is exhausted.

The current perpetual actively homing missiles are a little...odd.

I think any model that respects the fact that there are dedicated components to spoof missiles is fine. These components need to be competitive with other components. My current thinking is that if you have a speedy ship and focus entirely on dodging missiles, you should be able to dodge a certain percentage of them (perhaps even 50%). But if you're in the middle of battle and dealing with enemies, you'd absolutely need the anti-missile components to avoid being hit.