PDA

View Full Version : Improved combat feel suggestions

Bluddy
06-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Shadow, I've been trying to change some parameters for combat/travelling.

I increased MaxSpeedTurnMult from 0.3 to 0.5, which really makes moving around the galaxy more enjoyable IMO. It also allows me to chase down and finish off monsters who move out of my range of attack rather than being at their mercy. And I no longer feel the tedium when I need to turn and investigate something.

I also decreased all beam and ballistic ranges from 300 to 200 (though perhaps ballistics should be even shorter -- extreme short range weapons?). This means that even when a huge number of monsters are chasing me on-screen (which is usually what happens), only the closest ones can attack me, unless somebody has missiles. This makes combat much more orderly and easier to process and something I can deal with. If you think about it, in 3d, it's very hard to crowd a ship and attack it from all sides because you have all that extra space (it's called the 'curse of dimensionality'). The 2d plane allows for a lot more crowding, which is unnatural for space. Anyway, I feel shortening the range really improves the feel of combat, and it's not a huge deal for the player's ship since the faster turn speed makes it easier to close the distance.

What do you think?

( Tchey )
06-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Where and how can i play with this settings, for testing ?

Bluddy
06-21-2012, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't want to infringe on Shadow's control over the content/direction of the game, so I'm not going to post the file. Sorry.

Castruccio
06-21-2012, 12:13 PM
I played around with these same changes and the increased turn speed makes a HUGE difference for me. I like it much better. Maybe we could all compromise on a 0.4 default value? I do like 0.5 though. It makes the game feel much more like a fast paced ARPG. I don't think Drox Operative needs Newtonian physics.

Shadow
06-21-2012, 12:38 PM
I'll play around with your suggested settings and see how I like it.