PDA

View Full Version : Problem with fighting over a planet

fotan
06-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Okay here's the issue.

To access a planet, to talk to it, you click on it.

When an enemy comes near you click on them to attack.

The problem is, if you're floating above the planet and you got a full blown war of multiple ships attacking you, you're going to constantly be clicking the planet and bringing a menu up.

So there I am trying to fight 8-10 enemies at once and I'm constantly clicking and exiting the planet menu.

There needs to be a way to fight directly over a planet without worrying about clicking on it.

Shadow
06-21-2012, 03:42 PM
If you use the hotkey numbers that would probably get around this issue.

fotan
06-21-2012, 03:55 PM
ah ok, hadn't thought of that.

Btw, awesome game. I bought it yesterday and have been playing it about ever since. The dynamic content is second to none, and there's just nothing out there like this. The best part is the feeling that absolutely anything could happen at any time.

I've played all your prior games and this is definitely the most fun one you've made and I've put in a ton of hours on Din's Curse.

Bluddy
06-21-2012, 03:59 PM
You know how in DC you have a modifier key to prevent yourself from moving when you meant to attack, especially a ranged attack? Well since the mouse doesn't mark direct destinations in Drox it's not really an issue. This functionality could be replaced with a 'targeting' modifier key that only shoots ships and doesn't allow you to select anything.

( Tchey )
06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Yep. It's much, much easier to fight with the hotkey, even in open space.

I have my main weapon on 1 so i can fire with the mouse if i like it, but i find myself using 99% key sorcut.

PixelLord
06-21-2012, 05:10 PM
This isn't probably a viable option, but I'd prefer that the only way to attack anything is with the number hotkeys (and the right mouse button). That way new players would be forced to use the hotkeys instead of the left mouse button. This would save a lot of new players frustration. Or at least make the left click attack a game option, but not the default.

Brian Rubin
06-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Yep. It's much, much easier to fight with the hotkey, even in open space.

I have my main weapon on 1 so i can fire with the mouse if i like it, but i find myself using 99% key sorcut.

Agreed, I use WASD to move and the keypad numerical keys to fire my own self. Works wonderfully.

Shadow
06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
One of things I found in alpha was people being confused that the left mouse button didn't fire, that's why it does now.

PixelLord
06-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Yes, I can see how that might happen, but if the new player starts out using the left mouse button, they are going to want to keep using it out of habit, and unfortunately run into some problems. I think it'd be better to inform the player clearly that the #1 key fires the weapon, and they'll end up having a more enjoyable experience playing the game. As others mentioned, it's the only way to fly. :)

Bluddy
06-21-2012, 05:27 PM
One of things I found in alpha was people being confused that the left mouse button didn't fire, that's why it does now.

Not to mention that Macs often don't have right clicks but have to hold down the option button instead.

Though how about switching it - attacking is something you do all the time, so you could have that remain a left click. But interacting -- things like opening windows to talk to a planet, can be seen as a 'secondary use case'. They could be done with a right click.

Bluddy
06-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Yes, I can see how that might happen, but if the new player starts out using the left mouse button, they are going to want to keep using it out of habit, and unfortunately run into some problems. I think it'd be better to inform the player clearly that the #1 key fires the weapon, and they'll end up having a more enjoyable experience playing the game. As others mentioned, it's the only way to fly. :)

I think attacking with the mouse is fine. The problem is when you try to use the mouse for navigation. It simply doesn't work well.

Bluddy
06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
To clarify, in the heat of battle with many monsters and given the fact that they turn around really fast, it's much easier to use the number keys than to aim. But it's still doable and natural. I don't think you'll ever be able to tell people to aim with the mouse but not to click. That's something they can pick up over time, but they simply won't accept it as an interface rule.

Valgor
06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
So far, I don't think I've ever used the left mouse button to attack an enemy. I do use the right button to lock onto priority targets, though.