PDA

View Full Version : Differentiation with Ship choices.

Geokinesis
06-21-2012, 04:45 PM
I feel that picking the race/ship at the start really doesn't have much of an effect or feel very different when playing the game. Any point differences are equalised or balanced very quickly which loses a bit of variety.

A suggestion would be each race-ship gets a unique weapon.
Either it would scale damage and energy usage based upon the size of the ship and therefore command or it'd be something you'd have to find and buy like the items.

So picking a Dryad ship would let you leave something like a Seed Mine that does damage and slows ships with the plant matter. Or the Drakk have a Firebreath Salvo which fires a salvo of mini missiles that do thermal damage.
Etc.

I feel this would help make new games feels different as it'd also maybe stave off the fact that there is very little weapon variation in the early game. (I have not got very far so I hope the weapons become more varied later on.)

oznogg
06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
I love this idea! Would create a lot of vendor trash, though if these items drop in battles.

Brian Rubin
06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Armada did something like this. One race would have three shots instead of one, one would get more power pods I believe, something like that. It worked really well to further differentiate the races.

Castruccio
06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
I think this is a great idea, and it wouldn't require a whole bunch of new art assets. The existing weapons could be modified to fire in the new ways people are suggesting.

Shadow
06-21-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm pretty sure we will eventually make the races more distinct from one another.

LostSoul
06-21-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure we will eventually make the races more distinct from one another.

On the one hand I like that, but on the other it means you're removing the freedom of choice in what your ship looks like. Ship X has trait Y. If you don't want to look like Ship X, you can't have trait Y or vice versa. Right now, you can pretty much pick any ship you like based purely on its looks, because the bonuses just don't amount to all that much in very short order.

Bluddy
06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
On the one hand I like that, but on the other it means you're removing the freedom of choice in what your ship looks like. Ship X has trait Y. If you don't want to look like Ship X, you can't have trait Y or vice versa. Right now, you can pretty much pick any ship you like based purely on its looks, because the bonuses just don't amount to all that much in very short order.

I think you want the ship choice to count for much more than aesthetics if you want to retain replayability. Think about Din's Curse. Would you say "I hate that the game makes me choose to have a wizard tree when I just want to be a warrior but look like a wizard?"

Brian Rubin
06-21-2012, 05:38 PM

Woooohoooo!

Geokinesis
06-21-2012, 06:24 PM

That's great!
Would that include player ship choices as well?

Valgor
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Looking forward to that happening!

I was thinking of maybe "translating" the racial traits into abilities usable by the player.
For example, the Dryad's Trustworthy trait would give a passive bonus to relations and all diplomatic interaction (increasing the impact of negative interaction as well for balance)
while the Regeneration trait would give the player's ship some base structure regen. As the player invests points in Command, their abilities gradually improve with each command-up.

gornova
06-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Looking forward to that happening!

I was thinking of maybe "translating" the racial traits into abilities usable by the player.
For example, the Dryad's Trustworthy trait would give a passive bonus to relations and all diplomatic interaction (increasing the impact of negative interaction as well for balance)
while the Regeneration trait would give the player's ship some base structure regen. As the player invests points in Command, their abilities gradually improve with each command-up.

+1 for passive or acrive bonuses.. why not a "skill" (aka a not sellable component) if you choose a race or another one?

Valgor
06-22-2012, 06:39 AM
In that case, my idea would be giving each race a really powerful special ability (an emergency life-saver, if you will) with a rather long cooldown timer, similar to the 4X game Ascendancy.

An example would be 'Rapid Fire', a special ability for the Brunt which would grant the player 30 seconds of reduced energy consumption on all their weapons, increased damage output,
increased Attack and of course, drastically improved firing speed.

Waffles
06-22-2012, 07:58 AM
a simple way to make the race stat effects more relevant long term would be a "races get +%'s to stats". So for example instead of getting +2 to Helm and +3 to Computers, they would get +20% to Helm and +30% to Computers. That's not perfect but it's a thought. A different thought would be they automatically get +.4 and +.6 to each stat each level in addition to the starting bonuses, so that by lv 6 the racial bonuses would be 4/6, by 11 they'd be 6/9, etc. This would give a free stat every level, automatically allocated dependent on race.

( Tchey )
06-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Maybe, as we seem to all agree on the lack of Crew Points when leveling up, something like that :

We still get 5 CP per level. But, we also get +3 CP per level, without having the choice to place them. Race gives +3 per level, with +1 +1 +1, or +2 +1, or +3, depending on how hyper-spec they are.

So, we get +8 total CP per level, and races are much more important, but one player can still plays around and goes Cortex with High Tactique if he wishes.

Bluddy
06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Maybe, as we seem to all agree on the lack of Crew Points when leveling up, something like that :

We still get 5 CP per level. But, we also get +3 CP per level, without having the choice to place them. Race gives +3 per level, with +1 +1 +1, or +2 +1, or +3, depending on how hyper-spec they are.

So, we get +8 total CP per level, and races are much more important, but one player can still plays around and goes Cortex with High Tactique if he wishes.

+1. I really like this idea! It borrows a little bit from D3's auto-allocation, while keeping the system much better.