PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question, but...

Brian Rubin
06-21-2012, 05:33 PM
When there's a new patch, should one start a whole new game for the full effect of the changes to be felt? Can I keep my character if so?

Thanks!

Shadow
06-21-2012, 06:19 PM
It really depends on what was changed. As a general rule it's best if some people keep playing their current sector, some people start new sectors, and some people start new ships, but I suspect that's what normally happens.

LostSoul
06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
It really depends on what was changed. As a general rule it's best if some people keep playing their current sector, some people start new sectors, and some people start new ships, but I suspect that's what normally happens.

I had a faction glitch out in an old 0.9 version map (largest size). I simply could not keep my faction standing with them short of extremely large sums of credit donations. They never seemed to have any quests to do, defending their planets made no contribution, attacking their enemies accomplished nothing, and aiding their allies didn't either. I was losing standing faster than I could generate it, no matter how much I did to help them.

Win some, lose some. Still...that particularly strange occurrence stood out. I didn't much care for the larger sector though, so no loss there. It was a non-stop free-for-all for the expansionist faction I befriended early on, who pretty much dominated 90% of the sector at that point.

Amberjoy
06-24-2012, 05:03 PM
I have a silly query too. Not playing the game but following it a lot. I posted elsewhere about Drox and got the following question back. Hope someone can tell me the answer so I can pass it on. Thanks.

Query:
Let me know what the combat controls are like. If you have to control movement/camera with one hand and hit multiple buttons quickly with the other hand its not a game for me.

I'm hoping it isn't like the above.

Cheet4h
06-24-2012, 05:19 PM
For the movement you got three options:

1 - You hold with the mouse where you want to fly, the ship flys that way

2 - AWSD + Mouse: You use W for throttling, the ship flys in the direction of the cursor. You can change the rotation with A and D when not moving

3 - AWSD: You move with AWSD, A and D steers, W is the throttle.

2 and 3 are interchangeable, 1 works always.

You can also set W to toggle.

Fighting has also different options:

1 - Click an enemy, the weapon in slot #1 fires. The enemy gets locked on.

2 - Fire any weapon by clicking any weapon slot or hitting the key. The enemy nearest to your cursor is targeted and locked automatically.

If any enemy is locked on, firing any weapon will hit that enemy if he's in range. Otherwise it will tell you, that he's not in range. Enemies will be un-targeted if they leave your screen.

I play the game via using my middle finger of the left hand for throttling and index and ring finger for steering. For firing I normally just lift one finger and hit the number which the slot is bound to. My right hand is almost always on the mouse, either targeting weak enemies or idling.

Bluddy
06-24-2012, 06:54 PM
I have a silly query too. Not playing the game but following it a lot. I posted elsewhere about Drox and got the following question back. Hope someone can tell me the answer so I can pass it on. Thanks.

Query:
Let me know what the combat controls are like. If you have to control movement/camera with one hand and hit multiple buttons quickly with the other hand its not a game for me.

I'm hoping it isn't like the above.

It depends. In DC, you had to click a lot to move around quickly, and the only way to attack effectively was to use the number keys. In Drox, movement is done much more effectively using WASD. You toggle W on to start moving so you don't have to worry about it much, so really it's about turning with A and D. In terms of using skills with numbers, you tend to have far fewer skills equipped at a time in Drox, so just using the numbers 1 to 5 will probably be enough for most of the game. Most of the time battles involve pressing 1 repeatedly, so there isn't nearly as much speed required IMO (at least so far) as there is in DC. The mouse is really only needed to interact with things -- races, planets, quests and for moving items around.

Shadowy Figure
06-25-2012, 12:07 AM
You can move your ship by pointing and clicking (and holding) as well. When you hold down the mouse button, your thrusters turn on and your ship starts moving in the direction of your cursor. Releasing the left mouse button shuts off the thrusters and your ship stops.

Alternatively, you can go to Game Options and turn on the "Thruster Cursor" option. When it's on, toggling on the thrusters with the W key makes the ship always move in the direction of your mouse cursor without you needing to hold down the mouse button. If you left click while in this mode, it automatically shuts off the thrusters by default but there's an option to change that too if desired. This is how I like to play. You can still use the A and D keys while the thrusters are off in this mode to pivot your ship while stationary or to make sharper turns.

When attacking, the skill keys will automatically aim at a valid targest nearest to your mouse cursor so like Bluddy said, most battles will involve hitting the 1 key. If you hold down the skill key, it will keep shooting for you until the target is down but you need to hit the skill key again to attack a new target.

Amberjoy
06-25-2012, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the answers. I'll be passing them on,.