PDA

View Full Version : Quest Waypoints

Castruccio
06-21-2012, 07:28 PM
I am sure someone has mentioned this already but I just wanted to get a discussion started about it. One of the things I find frustrating about Drox is that I have no idea where my quest objectives are whenever I accept a given quest. Often times, this process feels like looking for a needle in a haystack. There needs to be directions to whichever quest you are currently doing both on your minimap and on the sector map. These "directions" could be an arrow on the minimap pointing you the right way, and a green dot on the sector map at the location of the quest (especially for bosses and planets). This latter marker would be similar to the current "black box" or "soul stone" locator that appears on the map when you die.

In Dins and DoP the quest objectives (such as a killing a boss or collecting a certain number of items) were always limited to a small outdoor area (in DoP) or a single dungeon floor (in Din's). In Drox, on the other hand, the individual sectors feel much bigger than the outdoor areas in DoP or the dungeon levels in Din's, and my character moves and turns much more slowly. Searching for a boss is more tedious than fun under these conditions, and whereas I could cover a dungeon floor in a couple of minutes in Din's and DoP, it takes me 10 minutes or more to putter around a sector and find a boss in Drox.

Shadow
06-21-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm planning on doing something to make this a bit easier. I haven't settled on anything specific though. I want something between the 2 extremes (wander around forever and here's exactly where they are).

fluffybot
06-21-2012, 08:05 PM
How about "last known location" that gets updated every 5 minutes? I mean, if these bosses are such ridiculous threats you'd expect the race to have some clue regarding there whereabouts. Unless, of course, none of the races have any sort of intelligence network. I'd believe that for the Brunt, by the way. Wouldn't be surprised if their idea of an intergalactic map was a piece of graphing paper with crudely drawn shapes in crayon.

As far as the planets go, I'd figure those would be clearly marked. I mean honestly, if they know the name of the planet they might as well know where it is. That said, the quests could also be changed to say something more along the lines of "investigate the gas giant in xxx system".

Which brings up another point: why even reveal the planets' names if you've never explored them or gotten any information about a new sector? Seems kind of backward to me.

Lastly, various "machines" could be much more easily located with a system-wide audio cue that increases in volume or frequency the closer you get to it. The former would be much more sensible with machinery noises, whereas a simple radar blip/ping would suit the latter. The latter would also be a lot more effective since you would immediately be able to start tracking the machine instead of waiting for the sound to reach a recognizable volume, but the former would be much smoother imo.

Audio cues could also help detect bosses, but personally I think the "last known location" makes a bit more sense.

Castruccio
06-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm planning on doing something to make this a bit easier. I haven't settled on anything specific though. I want something between the 2 extremes (wander around forever and here's exactly where they are).

Glad to hear it. No matter what you decide to do I think it will be a big improvement. It'll also help ease new players into the game.

Permagrin
06-21-2012, 08:34 PM
definitely agree with fluffybot for bosses, maybe an icon on the galactic map when you're updated, space debris for tracking would be cool too :D

Bluddy
06-21-2012, 09:15 PM
What I was thinking of is that once you select a quest on your quest log (you know how it gets highlighted and you get the explanation) exiting the quest log would show you something similar to the pointer that shows up when you're outside the star system (that would be easiest since it's already coded).

The key is that once you get within range X of your destination, the marker would disappear. X can be externalized so you can play with it until you find a good distance that isn't 'giving the location away'. Get far enough from your objective again, and it would show up once more.

This marker would only show up for bosses and quests involving specific planets (but mostly bosses).

Castruccio
06-21-2012, 09:29 PM
What I was thinking of is that once you select a quest on your quest log (you know how it gets highlighted and you get the explanation) exiting the quest log would show you something similar to the pointer that shows up when you're outside the star system (that would be easiest since it's already coded).

The key is that once you get within range X of your destination, the marker would disappear. X can be externalized so you can play with it until you find a good distance that isn't 'giving the location away'. Get far enough from your objective again, and it would show up once more.

This marker would only show up for bosses and quests involving specific planets (but mostly bosses).

That might be just the trick. The part about the marker disappearing would seem to satisfy Shadow's requirement that there shouldn't be too much hand holding, but just the right amount.