PDA

View Full Version : Drox beta patch 0.903

Shadow
06-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Beta Patch 0.903 of Drox Operative is available over on the Drox Operative patch page (http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Patches.html). Changes can be read here (http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Patches/Changes.html).

This patch addresses some of the new player learning curve, speeds up the end game, and fixes a bunch of other things.

( Tchey )
06-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks again ! Very nice to see you can patch quickly. I prefer several small patches every days or weeks, than one big once a month or more.

Castruccio
06-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Really excited about this one: can now pay for rumored position of most single enemy quests (adds a waypoint to your map)

Waffles
06-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to trying it out! Also hurray for rumored position option!

Valgor
06-22-2012, 06:31 PM
I really don't like that component icons no longer show the mark number and rarity type. I don't care much for switching around the colours for the different types of slots,
but there really should be some way of telling the quality of a component at a glance without having to mouse over every single one for comparison.

My suggestion would be using the green plus sign that's still shown : Green plus is Common tweaked items, green asterisk is Uncommon, yellow plus is Rare, yellow asterisk is Very Rare, etc.
The mark numbers should be made toggle-able in the game options.

Shadow
06-22-2012, 06:34 PM
We are playing with at least one idea to show rarity again, similar to your idea. I'll have to think about making a version option.

Valgor
06-22-2012, 06:43 PM
That would be super nice. By now, I'm conditioned to recognize the Soldak Rarity Colors, and would hate to go without them :) .

Castruccio
06-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Any more thoughts on the turn speed? I notice you didn't increase it in this version.

Shadow
06-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Any more thoughts on the turn speed? I notice you didn't increase it in this version.

I'm still thinking about some stuff that I might implement, so I put off changing any values this patch.

Bluddy
06-22-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm still thinking about some stuff that I might implement, so I put off changing any values this patch.

I would recommend also some of the suggestion I saw in the forum by Void. Missiles should perhaps turn more slowly, so that if you're fast enough you can dodge them. That gives you more options to deal with them.

Additionally, allowing players to go above 200 would probably be cool, but it would be best IMO with a non-linear formula like the resistance formula, so that there's diminishing return. You'd need a LOT of thrust to get above, say, 250 -- a lot more than you need to get to 200.

Weapon arcs would be neat and would allow a lot more diversification of weapons (side missiles, side beams, back beams...) but I know it's a lot of coding + finding a good way to show the arc.

One idea I thought of for showing ranges (and it could work for arcs as well) is that instead of getting the "not in range" message, if you held down a button for a weapon that's not in range, it would highlight the area of the range of the weapon in red. Keep holding and as you get in range, the highlight turns green. Release the key, and the weapon is fired. I know this is a LOT of coding though.

ShaggyMoose
06-22-2012, 08:51 PM
"can now pay for rumored position of most single enemy quests (adds a waypoint to your map)"

Nice way to handle this issue.

aReclusiveMind
06-23-2012, 02:18 AM
I got a chance to pay for the enemy locations today and really appreciate the change.

ScrObot
06-23-2012, 04:37 AM
The DPS shown in the log after completing a sector is incorrect.

Damage: 1 - 5
Dps: 2.0

Looking through my other logs, they're all 1-5 or 1-4.

Full log: http://scrobot.com/drox/ScrObeta1-Sus-1560985055.txt

The individual components in the log show the correct DPS numbers, which match the UI: http://scrobot.com/drox/drox_dps.jpg

I also see a "skills" section with "SkillPointsLeft: 0" and "BestTrapDisarmed: lvl 0" -- perhaps these are unused leftovers? How about "ReputationLevel: 0"?

The Strongest Monster Defeated under FunStats may be dubious... I'm currently level 22, I doubt a level 10 veteran has been the strongest thing I've defeated. It shows the same in the in-game journal, so this isn't really a log issue. (=

ScrObot
06-23-2012, 04:39 AM
The scrollbar buttons overlap on the Quest screen when there's a long quest name: http://scrobot.com/drox/drox_scrollbar_bug.jpg

Scrolling works as expected.

Valgor
06-23-2012, 07:31 AM
I also see a "skills" section with "SkillPointsLeft: 0" and "BestTrapDisarmed: lvl 0" -- perhaps these are unused leftovers? How about "ReputationLevel: 0"?

Yes, those are leftovers from DoP and Din's. I guess they're coded into the engine and can only be dummied out.

Jinsai
06-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Really do NOT like the loss of item quality indicators.

Right now, sussing out item quality is a little like one of those "Stroop tests", where color names (yellow, green, blue, red, etc.) are written in different colors.

It is VERY difficult to "see" what quality items in stores are. Adding to the fact that the items aren't clustered or grouped in any way, browsing stores becomes really tedious.

Lyranaar
06-23-2012, 06:50 PM
First of all thanks a lot for your hard work and bringing a new patch so fast!

After some hours of testing in multiplayer there seem to be some problems with this build for us.

The "all-human-bug" fixing worked. Problems occur now though when loading a map that for the client all relations are wrong. Non alliance are numbered with 0.00 and Alliance is 100.00 and no jumpgate is useable. On the map all systems are white for the client and nominally not inhabited. The jumpgate beaming doesn't work even to the homegate. After binding this to another point it works. Newly colonized systems work as well.

Another problem we have is not being able to force races to make peace:
In our current game we are allied with the last two factions. They declared war on each other. After our invention and a payment both agreed to make peace and reverted to 50.00%. The war between both is still shown though and we can repeatedly tell them to make peace. It doesn't change anything though. It seems not to make a difference if client or server tries to make them peaceful.

After 0.903 I have the problem as using leftclick for default attack that my ship flies to PoI that are about half a screen away from clicking (planets, other players ship). Often it is hard to find some place to click unto to make it fly somewhere else then. At times it locks most steering, at other times after I steered to another planet it just doesn't stop and flies back to the old one.
I'm unsure what this is about (whether I now do something different) but I think I didn't change anything. Using only keys for weapons (or mostly if I think it's dangerous) is a work around but I love left click as it's easy and does autoshooting. Couldn't perhaps something like steering left/right interrupt the autosteering? At the moment this is definitely a problem for me. Partly everything works great. The suddenly my ship acts mad and I can't make it stop or not steer into the mines. Strangely sometimes it wants to fly about one screen or more even while I click wildly around and try to interest it for something else.

Another thing that was strange an probably unwanted was ships of a race after the planet they guarded was killed stood as neutral non combatants in space. They were simply no race, not hostile and no target for others.
After the planet was recolonized they became original race and fully functional again (Drakk in this case).

Some AI behaviour is a bit off (not new in this build) perhaps. While the Drakk in that case were wildly exploring and had actual shippower they over a long time didn't defend a smaller planet. There were no ships there over about half a game. Perhaps the Drakk just knew that the Drox were doing the defending grudgingly anyways. :)

Bluddy
06-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Missiles should perhaps turn more slowly, so that if you're fast enough you can dodge them. That gives you more options to deal with them.

I take back this recommendation after thinking about it some more. It would nullify the need for many components.

Bluddy
06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I really don't like that component icons no longer show the mark number and rarity type. I don't care much for switching around the colours for the different types of slots,
but there really should be some way of telling the quality of a component at a glance without having to mouse over every single one for comparison.

I also strongly dislike taking away the regular rarity-based color scheme. My opinion is that the colors did a better job expressing the rarity of the item -- this is consistent with other ARPGs (as well as Soldak's ARPGs). Additionally, there are more gradations of rarity than there are slot types, so colors seem like a better fit.

For slot types, I think something can be used with shapes rather than colors. An icon at the bottom left could describe the slot type. A triangle, square and circle would do the job. Honestly though, I find that learning the slot type for every item type doesn't take much effort, at which point the colors give you no further information and are 'a waste'. For rarities, you constantly need to filter based on rarity type, and so the colors carry information throughout the game.

RoboAV
06-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Really do NOT like the loss of item quality indicators.

Right now, sussing out item quality is a little like one of those "Stroop tests", where color names (yellow, green, blue, red, etc.) are written in different colors.

It is VERY difficult to "see" what quality items in stores are. Adding to the fact that the items aren't clustered or grouped in any way, browsing stores becomes really tedious.

Seen from the perspective of a color-blind player- which I am- most of the color specific information is useless. Putting an easy one or two letter code after the items, i.e. -VR for uncommon or -VR for very rare would help tremendously. It would make scanning through items in the stores much quicker. As it stands i have to hover over every item and then scan for the rarity in those jumping info screens.

A simple word along the race relations bar for like, dislike or neutral would make that screen actually useful to me.

Also, I want every one of those functions screens to act like the planetary trading screen. If I click outside of the screen, it goes away. It's really unnecessary for me to play the 'find the x or back button' three times on the way out of the quest screens. The planetary trade screen works perfectly and teaches me do that on every possible screen anyway. It's frustrating.

Love the game and am playing it constantly.

fluffybot
06-24-2012, 10:26 PM
I've got the settlement to "home planet only" and number of races set to 6, but only one race is spawning in to the sector I start in. This has happened twice in a row (but the number of races value hasn't been respected since .900) but the last time a few races got wiped out by Talon/Overlord. Was there some change to races spawning that enables them to start off in different sectors?

Bluddy
06-24-2012, 10:30 PM
I've got the settlement to "home planet only" and number of races set to 6, but only one race is spawning in to the sector I start in. This has happened twice in a row (but the number of races value hasn't been respected since .900) but the last time a few races got wiped out by Talon/Overlord. Was there some change to races spawning that enables them to start off in different sectors?

Was there anything indicating that races were supposed to spawn in the same system? From what I understand, races tend to spawn at the edges of the sector, where the monster level is lower.

Pippy
06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
I saved the game planning to reload and click on the complete sector icon but when I reloaded it it was gone.Possibly it was because the two remaining races had gone to war since i completed it.So now I either have to quit the sector or wipe out one of the races not knowing if that will even give me sector cleared status again.This seems like a churlish complaint as I am really enjoying the game.

Shadow
06-25-2012, 12:14 PM

They can start in the same system, but they don't have to.

Wanderer
06-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Not a bad game, but an off-hand recommendation. Some of us are late to the party. I don't remember seeing any instructions on patching on the purchase confirmation screen nor in the email... These patches appear to have handled a lot of the issues I was arguing with originally, but I haven't gone back in and played after coming here and finding the patch link.

I'm embarassed to admit I missed the patch link 3 times on the main page for some reason and had to come here to find it.

Tossing in a quick link during the beta scenario on these pages (or much more obvious if it's there and I'm not seeing it) to the patch page would probably be very helpful to others who have the same 'excitement blindness' I do. I should probably mention this is my first Soldak game so if there's a usual pattern to these things for this company I'm just not used to them yet.

Thanks for listening. :)

Shadow
06-25-2012, 05:39 PM
This is our typical way of posting patches, but that doesn't mean we can't make it a little more clear.

fluffybot
06-25-2012, 06:48 PM
They can start in the same system, but they don't have to.

I figured it was always in the same system simply because that's literally how it's happened every single time I've played up until now. Just plain lucky, I guess. Thanks for the clarification.

ScrObot
06-26-2012, 04:00 AM
1. Bug: I encountered the background ending abruptly a bit into dead space -- I've been much further out before and haven't noticed it happen any other time.
Screenshot 1: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_bug_bg_edge1.jpg
Screenshot 2: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_bug_bg_edge2.jpg
(Backgrounds are ridiculously beautiful btw, as are explosion effects.)

2. Bug: This is related to one I reported earlier about quest slots 7-10 staying highlighted if you used the mouse wheel in the Quest panel (at least when the mouse wheel is set to scroll right click slots); if you do that, then close the Quest window and open it again, it still shows 2 quests highlighted.
Screenshot: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_bug_2_quests.jpg

3. Bug: I got a "Cheap Harvester I" component which says it has a Passive Skill but doesn't actually mention what it does anywhere.
Screenshot: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_bug_passive_skill1.jpg

4. Bug: I got a "Cheap Invulnerability Shield I" component that appears to have an "AbsorbsUpToXDamage" variable name instead of an actual value.
Screenshot: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_bug_shield_absorb.jpg

5. Typo: I got a quest to find "Minor Venom memorys" -- should be memories. (Displayed both in the Quest window and onscreen when you picked them up.)
Screenshot 1: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_typo_memorys1.jpg
Screenshot 2: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_typo_memorys2.jpg

6. Typo: I got a message that a planet's "richness" had changed from Normal to Rich; this should be "wealth" or some other term.
Screenshot: http://www.scrobot.com/drox/drox_typo_richness.jpg