PDA

View Full Version : I give up

DeathKnight1728
06-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Ive tried getting into this game but i dont think i can play anymore. Every character i make gets destroyed once he reaches lvl 4. I cant take out enemies faster than they come at me. There is no stealth or skills like that as far as i can see and i dont really dig the setting.

I think this might be a good game to people of that genre but i am a strictly fantasy based rpg player. I bought the game and look forward to future games of a different setting.

( Tchey )
06-22-2012, 07:06 PM
You're certainly doing something wrong. Level 4 ? It's very easy to get there. You do increase your Tactical a little and use some better weapons ? And have enough power ? And good thruster ? At least one shield or plating as armor ?

Or it's a joke i didn"t understand ?

DeathKnight1728
06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
No, its not a joke. I tried to get into the game but what mainly turns me off is that its not a fantasy rpg. I bought the game mostly to support soldak and possibly like the game although unlikely but im not really into the genre. Im more into fantasy. Still a cool concept, only wish it was like depths of peril and dins curse.

Castruccio
06-22-2012, 07:16 PM
I agree that the game is a lot less approachable for beginners than previous Soldak games but don't give up just yet! We're just starting the beta phase!

If you don't like the space setting then there's not much that can be done about that, but when the game is firing on all cylinders it should (in theory) incorporate everything you loved about DoP and Din's into one game.

It takes a long time to learn the ins and outs of Drox and the gameplay is nowhere near as fast paced as previous Soldak efforts, but it isn't worth giving up on!

Caal
06-22-2012, 07:30 PM
I definitely hear you. I'm not a space game person either, but gave this one a shot. I have a lvl 8 ship, playing at the lowest settings, and I'm still getting my butt blown off regularly. The most advanced race almost always declares war on me, quests take forever because traveling is slow, and I have no idea how to improve relations. It's been mentioned other places in the forum that the game is not exactly noob-friendly. I agree.

I'm also a big ARPG fan - those tend to be fun right from the start. This game is not. But there are several good ideas out there, and it is only the beta after all, so I'm willing to wait for a few more patches and see what happens.

DeathKnight1728
06-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Well its not that getting destroyed is the main reason that i can't get into it, but it doesn't help. I realize that it can't be balanced this early, the only problem i have is that this setting is my most despised setting for a rpg.

One of the things i noticed however that made me even more frustrated was that all the races can be good at essentially anything. So for example, drake are essentially given a bonus to helm that also increases at every new ship by 3. The problem is that that bonus doesn't mean anything as the items in game also add to that by an astronomical amount meaning that a race like lithosoid can be just as good at defense as a drake. Meaning that items are all that counts.

Along with that, take this for example. Dins curse had a normal way of placing stat points per level that you could rely on till lvl 100. If you are making a typical warrior, its 2 strength, 2 dexterity and 1 vitality. Thats it. Nothing more or less as thats all they need to distribute evenly per level. With this system, i am finding that i can't neglect any of the attributes in game, which is extremely annoying. I put 1 point into all stats other than command every level. My character is basically no different than anyone else's.

This is probably going to be rectified in future releases but the genre is what kills me. Hopefully future games will be in fantasy genre.

LostSoul
06-22-2012, 07:48 PM
It's intended "at some point" for there to be a greater classification of races and ships iirc, it just hasn't made it into the game. I suspect that will make all the various ship-types play very differently once it does.

Early on, you've very little in the way of credits to get your ship moving, and comparatively speaking you're mostly a sitting duck vs other races and a lot of the pirate ships out there. But perhaps you're also starting out at an "over-leveled" sector where everything is several levels higher than you minimum. "Hard" at that stage of the game reads more like "impossible" because a single missile shot or mine will pretty much pop you.

ScrObot
06-22-2012, 08:38 PM
With this system, i am finding that i can't neglect any of the attributes in game, which is extremely annoying. I put 1 point into all stats other than command every level. My character is basically no different than anyone else's.

I was hung up on this at first until I realized that I had to approach it differently than usual. There are many more component types than slots you have, so you have to decide where you want to specialize, to some extent. My current ship is focusing on Engineering and Tactical for weapons and power. I don't think spreading the stats evenly is going to be a successful strategy in most cases.

You're always going to find cool components, and you may already even have the stats to equip them, but you have to weigh the pros and cons of the different component types your builds. For example, right now I'm running around with no armor plating because it just doesn't fit in my setup.

Add in the fact that there are many "types" of components that you can put in the different heavy/medium/light slots (especially once you get a little higher in the levels... early on your options are much more limited). For example, you can run a normal engine as a heavy component, a thruster as a medium component (which draws power though), or a weaker light component that generates thrust too (or even a combination). There are also components (both light crew and medium components) that add directly to your stats, which can be a big help (once again balancing the slot usage vs. benefit).

Lastly, putting points into Command gives you "extra" points when you get a new ship, so that's another thing to consider. For example, you may need to put 5 points into Command to get the next ship, but you get +3 Tactical when you do...

I'm not trying to convince you to stick around if you're not having fun, but it took me a little time to understand the stat placement and components and how many hard choices you have to make with your ship build, and once that clicked, it made a lot more sense.

Ripperjk
06-22-2012, 08:43 PM
It really does start to open up quite a bit after the initial levels. Was getting trashed around 5-7th level after my first sector - but it all seemed to mesh just after that.

Personally having alot of fun with my light battlecruiser, EM cloaks, lightning fields and mines =)

Truly though, if you 'despise' a sci-fi/space setting, theres probably not much you're going to like about the game. Setting is probably the most important aspect to most folks - and if you dont like that then you arent going to be willing to deal with bugs, hiccups and speedbumps along the way.

ShaggyMoose
06-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Sounds like the game just isn't for you. That's too bad, but I guess I am glad that the setting is different this time around. Hope it grows on you.

LostSoul
06-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Sounds like the game just isn't for you. That's too bad, but I guess I am glad that the setting is different this time around. Hope it grows on you.

Agreed. I've been waiting for an ARPG style game in space. I'm not completely sold on Drox, but it's certainly got its charm and appeal.

fluffybot
06-22-2012, 09:12 PM
One of the greatest strengths (and weaknesses) of Drox is its utter lack of character focus in a genre dominated by class-based gameplay, which can be pretty off-putting. Instead of choosing what options you have so you can specialize in them, you are given all the freedom at the start. I see some discussion about the command stat but, in all honesty, it's one of the most important stats to specialize in. I recommend any new player start off as a Brunt or Drakk and spend at least 2 points a level on command (admittedly I've been using all of my points in command from the get-go). The game really starts to open up when you unlock slots, and they are absolutely imperative to flexibility.

The game's tough, though. I'll give it that.

DeathKnight1728
06-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Well im glad to know that im not the only one regarding its toughness. Ive been playing the game at 3-4 levels higher than mine from the start. In the beginning patches it didnt make a difference, now i am getting served by 2 levels higher.

One of the things that i do like about the game that was kind of a letdown for dop, was that drox did such a good job with diplomacy. If dop had that kind of extensive diplomacy, steven would be on steam in a heartbeat.

Von Paulus
06-22-2012, 09:56 PM
I like the OP, do agree that this isn't an easy game. But every hour I play, I lean new thing and I do get the rewarding feel of progressing.
It seems that we have a lot of options, more than what's usual is in a classical aRPG.
Anyway, I won't give up, and I'm having fun. And frankly, I'm glad that this is hard SF.
I hope that the OP ends up in finding the right incentive to keep playing. I'm sure that soon he will also get the same rewarding feel of progress, that we love to have in any RPG. :)

fluffybot
06-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Well im glad to know that im not the only one regarding its toughness. Ive been playing the game at 3-4 levels higher than mine from the start. In the beginning patches it didnt make a difference, now i am getting served by 2 levels higher.

I'm level 43 and I'm fighting 50's, not having all that much trouble unless I do something excessively stupid like have a lapse in attention and run into multiple mobs. One of the important tools for whittling down large groups comes around level 8-10 when you start getting AoE nukes: the damage output against large groups of enemies is outstanding, but they aren't particularly useful against 1-2 attackers.

For earlier levels, make sure you've got an EMP in your right-click. The extra couple of damage points and debuffs make a huge difference, and you can use it frequently without too much energy drain. It's easily the most important part of your ship in the early game.

Reefpirate
06-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Cool... So can we keep all the whining about things that probably won't change about the game in this thread?

rune_74
06-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Cool... So can we keep all the whining about things that probably won't change about the game in this thread?

I'm not sure I would call ideas whining, just because you don't like them. I'm getting the feeling in some of the threads I posted that thanks for coming out but were not interested in listening. Is this what you want?

Reefpirate
06-23-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure I would call ideas whining, just because you don't like them. I'm getting the feeling in some of the threads I posted that thanks for coming out but were not interested in listening. Is this what you want?
Ideas are fine, but the OP I think amounts to "I want a fantasy RPG. This is not a fantasy RPG, so I'm not going to play it."

How is that a constructive idea?

rune_74
06-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Ideas are fine, but the OP I think amounts to "I want a fantasy RPG. This is not a fantasy RPG, so I'm not going to play it."

How is that a constructive idea?

Oh I agree on that...but it feels like an old boys club to get your ideas heard here.

Shadow
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
DeathKnight1728: Personally I would take a break for a couple weeks and then come back to Drox and see how it plays after a few more patches.

rune_74: Don't worry, we are definitely listening.

ollobrains
06-25-2012, 10:22 PM
drox is going ok i tink its the lack of varied gameplay and the narrow style that has some players a bit meh, starbound is one to kee an eye on. It is a very open world, procedural everything, a very open ended and many interactive elements, i think the one area drox could improve is planets making trade goods and selling and buying and these planets have development indexes it could open up more missions, more quests more loot more gameplay option and perhaps slow the games speed ie core world but new colonies develop more slowly the players are required to help ther races build them up