PDA

View Full Version : Hull progression concern

Ripperjk
06-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Im nearly level 20 so this may even out further into the game but here we go:

It seems natural to gravitate towards getting the biggest hull you can as soon as you can (even better if you have the engines to support the weight) - and it feels like most of my points are going into Command while my other stats get a few points here and there.

I guess Im wondering if theres enough points to go around at max level to have decent stats and a max hull - or if choosing stats over hull slots is a design choice.

I cant help but think hull upgrades might be better attached to reaching a certain level than using valuable skill points.

Seems like you can be super stat focused and equip very little, but very nice gear, or you can be Command focused and equip subpar gear, but much more of it - which ultimately seems like a waste.

Maybe its just the way Im playing but it seems if you ignore Command for stats or stats for Command - either way you are hurting yourself. There just doesnt appear to be a good balance between them.

Like I said, maybe its just the way Ive been playing - but in a game such as this - a new shiny ship is always something players are going to want and it kinda feels like I have to decide on looks/equip slots vs higher level gear/limited gear slots/same ship Ive been flying forever now...

LostSoul
06-22-2012, 07:43 PM
This is why I'm of the mindset that Command needs to contribute more than just ship size and module slots. To me, the best answer is to have "Crew" have a command stat requirement rather than being a light "module".

Rather than crew quarters, which are equipped in place of cargo bays, where you can put crew (and have their respective stat bonuses apply). Quarters would obviously reduce your ship's carrying capacity, and unlike cargo bays, need ship power. Quarters with more crew slots require higher command. Crew Quarters with crew-related bonuses (reduced happiness drain, increased health, that sort of thing) require further Command.

So in effect, command becomes a "Crew" stat, with the occasional boost in ship size.

Bluddy
06-22-2012, 08:05 PM
This is why I'm of the mindset that Command needs to contribute more than just ship size and module slots. To me, the best answer is to have "Crew" have a command stat requirement rather than being a light "module".

Rather than crew quarters, which are equipped in place of cargo bays, where you can put crew (and have their respective stat bonuses apply). Quarters would obviously reduce your ship's carrying capacity, and unlike cargo bays, need ship power. Quarters with more crew slots require higher command. Crew Quarters with crew-related bonuses (reduced happiness drain, increased health, that sort of thing) require further Command.

So in effect, command becomes a "Crew" stat, with the occasional boost in ship size.

I like this idea. I would mix it with something I saw on the Qt3 forums. To whoever's idea I stole: I'm sorry.

A huge part of space games is looking at the ship that's better than yours and ogling it. Drox neutralizes that aspect by just giving you a better ship, and it's a shame. Instead of just getting a new ship, you should buy one, if you have the command stat to use it.

Perhaps even the place to buy the ship would be from a ship seller, who only shows up when you beat a sector. So you collect money from a sector, and then you get a chance to upgrade your ship. You get to salivate as you look at the cooler ships and how powerful they are - ships would be displayed all the way up to flagship - and then you count your meager credits and buy the next model or 2 up.

Another idea is that you could have advanced small ships. These ships are really fast, but only trade heavy slots for lighter ones. You'd need to have some more light weaponry for that to work, but they would be a different direction to go in than just 'bigger'.