PDA

View Full Version : Flak I - wont fire or only fires at fighters?

Ripperjk
06-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Just found ballistic weapon - Flak I. Wont fire, every time I hit the key it just tells me 'need enemy target' or whatever that little message always is.

Its got an obscenely low power consumption per shot (6!) for its burly sounding near 30dps - so I figured its for fighter type enemies only - havent seen any lately so maybe it works on them and them alone.

Otherwise - bugged it would seem.

ScrObot
06-23-2012, 02:53 AM
I think these are intended for usage against missiles.

GunFox
06-23-2012, 03:44 AM
It really needs to be automated. Even current day point defense systems can operate fully automatically. Then again flak would not work in space anyway, so perhaps the comparison is ill concieved.

ScrObot
06-23-2012, 04:42 AM
I'd consider the fact that it says it targets enemies a bug.

I did the same thing when I first got one, and was really confused why my DPS was 0 and I couldn't shoot anything. (=

Ripperjk
06-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Gave up trying to get it to work and went ahead with dual bombs and stealth, now THAT is a fun way to play =)

LostSoul
06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
My thinking is that it requires that you directly target a valid target for it to fire at. Which in combat where this weapon would be useful is...complicated to say the least?

It doesn't necessarily need to be automated, but it definitely needs to pick targets independent of what you're doing. Pressing the button should be all that's needed, and if there's a missile, fighter, bomb, or mine in play, it picks the nearest one and shoots at it. Anything more than that undermines any real value in a flak battery system.

Needing to stop what you're doing, pick out the right target in the field, aim at them and then fire...not a very helpful system.

Tiarilir
06-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Why not simply make it an automated weapon that fires at all close enemies, but has a toggle (when you press the button)?