PDA

View Full Version : Trading jumpgate locations

Valgor
06-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Why are races always so god-damn stingy when it comes to trading jumpgate locations? I've found it almost impossible to come to an agreement in the early game,
which is when the player would need it the most to get around to solving quests, especially when playing in Established sectors of a larger size.
This behaviour makes no sense to me. Wouldn't it be in their best interest to at least trade the location of a jumpgate to a system where they need the player's help (have quests in) ?

This leads me to another suggestion. All existing systems of a sector should be shown on the galaxy map from the start, just not the starlanes connecting them.
I know the map is updated with the locations of previously unknown systems whenever the player accepts a quest taking place in one.
Usually though, I have no idea of how to actually get there if it's not directly adjacent to an already explored system.

Von Paulus
06-24-2012, 11:56 AM
This leads me to another suggestion. All existing systems of a sector should be shown on the galaxy map from the start, just not the starlanes connecting them.
I know the map is updated with the locations of previously unknown systems whenever the player accepts a quest taking place in one.
Usually though, I have no idea of how to actually get there if it's not directly adjacent to an already explored system.
My problem with that suggestion is that it would break a little the exploring sense of the game. And in any SF game, that's always my main concern.
This would make the things a little to linear, IMO.
Although I wouldn't mind if this was optional.

Drastic
06-24-2012, 12:12 PM
I would like to retain exploration, but change the nature of it to be more about profit. That's what the Operatives are all about, after all! Exploration as it currently exists is kind of dull and pointless, IMO, a game tax paid so you can actually get to the diplomacy game. Instead, it should be something that makes the diplomacy game more rewarding and valuable.

My current suggestion would be to start each sector with a core group of systems known--but also have them have any number of unknown systems hidden at the start. There would be a couple twists, with the purpose of reinforcing why Drox Operatives are in high demand even when a given one has screwed over your empire in the previous sector:

Twist 1: the other races wouldn't start knowing about those other systems either. And just finding the starlanes to them wouldn't do them much good because:

Twist 2: the Operative should have the special ability to unlock that starlane, either as a power the races don't have, or simply being able to do so much faster than the races can. Trading both the knowledge of and the immediate unlocking of a starlane to a virgin sector would be something every race should be eager to trade and pay highly for. Either in the trade screen proper, or as a lucrative quest type.

But the core systems themselves would be known; their jumpgates would be active and open to the Operative, etc. The aim being to make exploration more rewarding in general, but reducing the game tax factor of the initial bouts of it merely being to just find people to tlak to.

Valgor
06-24-2012, 12:45 PM
The systems wouldn't be named, of course. Just a little star on the map, so the player knows there's a system there. They'd still have to explore to find a way over.

aReclusiveMind
06-24-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm okay with them being stingy early on. After all, if they don't exactly trust you, why would they want you to be able to simply warp into systems they have planets in. In their own self interest, I'd think they'd want to keep them protected from the unknown outsider.

I do have an issue with them remaining stingy when we have a mutual protection pact or alliance though. I've had my allies turn me down at 80 or even 90+ rep when asking for jump gate locations. I'd think anything from mutual protection pact on should allow me free access to their jump gates. If we are supposed to be protecting each other, wouldn't they want me to be able to quickly warp into the system where one of their planets is under attack?

Castruccio
06-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Is there ever a point when worm holes, starlanes, and jump gates will show up on the mini-map? It is super irritating to have to waypoint these every time.

oznogg
06-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Idea thread over here: http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5130

Valgor
06-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Is there ever a point when worm holes, starlanes, and jump gates will show up on the mini-map? It is super irritating to have to waypoint these every time.

Personally, I'd like them to show up as small icons on the outer edge of the mini-map 'circle', relative to the player ship's position in the system, acting as some sort of compass.

gornova
06-25-2012, 08:56 AM
+1 for compass, super useful, Shadow what do you can tell us about this?

Roswitha
06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Speaking of jump gates, I bought one and it never appeared on the map. It was logged as being activated. In fact, I still don't see the system, despite having quests for there.

Bluddy
06-25-2012, 11:26 AM
I would also suggest that markers for the closest three planets (once you've uncovered them) float at the edge of the screen showing the direction to said planets. This would give you a bit of a way to orient yourself without constantly having to refer to the map. In general, you have to refer to the map far more than you do in DC or DoP, and any way to alleviate this would be welcome.

Castruccio
06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Personally, I'd like them to show up as small icons on the outer edge of the mini-map 'circle', relative to the player ship's position in the system, acting as some sort of compass.

This is precisely what I also think would be great.

Drastic
06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
The compass idea is good. The ability to have it show some additional things would be nice--I'm thinking primarily planet locations. (Handy for those times when you start fighting way too many enemies at once, and want to lead them right into the teeth of a friendly planetary fleet.) But other things could fit in as well. Having them be able to be toggled on and off would keep down clutter.

Bluddy
06-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Other things that would be neat to have are more landmarks. Random things that show up but do nothing (or something -- something is obviously better) would help us orient ourselves better. A cloud of some particles, or a small asteroid field, or a weird gravitational effect, or a comet shower.

The scrolling parallax background are really pretty, but they don't help you orient yourself. Some more static (and rare/big) stuff would serve as natural landmarks. It's important that they be rare -- if many of these things spawn, they're no longer landmarks.