PDA

View Full Version : Performance hit when major races go to war

Valgor
06-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Has anybody else noticed a severe framerate drop once two dominating races (read : lots of ships and colonies, during the late game) go to war, especially in larger sectors?

ShaggyMoose
06-26-2012, 07:26 AM
No, I haven't. But my machine kicks ass, so that might be why. :D

ePeen++

gornova
06-26-2012, 09:06 AM
no problem right now with 0.903, just a thing: a long line of ships stay still, like were blocked

Von Paulus
06-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Has anybody else noticed a severe framerate drop once two dominating races (read : lots of ships and colonies, during the late game) go to war, especially in larger sectors?
I have notice. The game begins to stuttering a lot in my PC.
I'm playing in a E6420@2.13Ghz. I suppose that might be the problem in my case, although it's a little above the recommended settings.

Valgor
06-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Mine is a notebook with a P8600 at 2.4 Ghz; the graphics card is a 9600M GT with 521 MB video memory.
I've checked the framerate during those intense periods; it doesn't change, regardless of resolution or quality settings, so I guess it's got nothing to do with the graphics.

Von Paulus
06-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Yes, I too suspect that it's CPU.

DeathKnight1728
06-26-2012, 03:49 PM
I happen to think that the game is great so long as a war is going on. I think thats why before i couldnt get into the game, now when I get bored with the game, i go over and start hate rants on an agressive side while wooing the other. Its a heck of a lot of fun! :D

sbach2o
07-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Here, here!

I get a severe performance hit in late game. It seems completely independent of any wars going on, though. The determining factor could be how many settled planets there are and ships are going around.

First, I am running on a pretty old machine, Pentium IV (Single Core), ~2.6 GHz, AGP graphics card (which is pretty buff, for the technology, though). Fiddling with the graphics options makes no noticable difference.

My first game was under .903 with a Large sector. It became next to unplayable at the end, but I pulled through. Going to Small sector sizes henceforth, the problem subsided. I got a noticable perfomance drop at the later stages, but it remained playable...

... under .903. After the update to .905, small sectors slow down very much also.

I can get a temporary respite from the lag by ending and resuming the game. I always quit to desktop so far, just in case that makes a difference. This respite only lasts for a couple of minutes at best.

Because of these symptoms teh working hypothesis is that the CPU is bottlenecked by the AI in some way when the empires expand.

Shadow
07-03-2012, 05:09 PM
There was a bug that was making some ships get stuck around forever that might be causing some of this. This particular bug is fixed in version 0.906.

Von Paulus
07-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks. I'll report back.

Von Paulus
07-03-2012, 07:17 PM
I've just checked and still have the issue.
Just in case, I've checked with ProcessExplorer while running Drox, and it's Drox that his using both my cores.

Moonshine Fox
07-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Stuck loops are never good for performance ;)

Valgor
07-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Now that in 0.906, all the ships defending a planet are constantly on patrol, it seems as if the NPC ship's pathfinding is the culprit. The framerate drops noticeably near heavily defended planets, regardless of any graphics settings.

Moonshine Fox
07-04-2012, 07:46 AM
That's odd. From a coding perspective, pathfinding should be running all the time, unless it's abstracted or simplified for objects out of range to save on CPU cycles, which would explain why framerate drops when a lot of ships get in range and "wake up" to start pathfinding.

Valgor
07-04-2012, 10:04 AM
That seems to be the case.

sbach2o
07-06-2012, 04:50 AM
Now that in 0.906, all the ships defending a planet are constantly on patrol, it seems as if the NPC ship's pathfinding is the culprit. The framerate drops noticeably near heavily defended planets, regardless of any graphics settings.

I can confirm this. If anything, situation has degraded further with patch .906.

More data from my side: I've run the game with ATI Tray Tools, playing a well-settled small sector. Tray Tools let me monitor CPU and GPU usage besides frame rates.

The sector is well settled with only two factions left who are at peace and allied with each other. Both are swimming in cache, meaning they've built up their defensive fleets and nothing better to do than sending freighters to and fro while looking for the last unsettled planets. This means there are lots of ships going around.

Tray Tools show 100% CPU usage all the time, while the graphics card hovers around or below ~20% (with rare spikes). The frame rate is below 20, in the vicinity of heavy action it drops below 10 fps. The 100% CPU usage continues when I pause the game (framerate climbs above 20 then).

Here's a summary of my system:

CPU: Pentium IV, 2.6 GHz, single core
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3650, AGP

One thing to note is that there's an incompatibility between the computer's main board and the graphics card with the consequence that not all AGP features work at full speed (i.e. AGP write). This can slow some games down, but I've no idea which ones are affected. Drox probably isn't, as the very fluent gameplay at the start of a sector suggests.

Although ancient, this system is still above the published system requirements (which are currently taken just from Din's Curse, I guess). Maybe the requirements should be adapted when my experience is confirmed by others with similar low end machines (note the hardware incompatibility with my garphics card)?

Von Paulus
07-06-2012, 09:02 AM
I've started a new sector two days ago, a smaller one, and so far I haven't noticed the issue. I know it usually happen gradually as the game proceed to the conclusion of the sector, when there are probably more ship involved.

Moonshine Fox
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
I shall try to research this tonight. I have an excessive CPU though, so the problem might not manifest.

thcrw739
07-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Have a phenom 1 x4 9750 2.4hz, & a amd 6670 1gb gddr5 pciex16, running @ 1920x1080 as a desktop and i get graphics stutter/lag from time to time, it had changed on severity patch to patch.

On the other hand my laptop is a 1.3ghz E-300 dual core w on board 6310 graphics running @ 1366x768 & no lag/stutter at all.

However i do have a regular old 7200rpm 16mb sata II hard drive in my desktop, & a seagate 7200rpm/4gb ssd 32mb cache sata II hybrid drive in the laptop.

Moonshine Fox
07-08-2012, 04:42 AM
I ran for about two hours yesterday and didn't notice any slowdowns. Either the bug is fixed in the latest patch, or I haven't encountered the situation yet. I'll keep looking.

Von Paulus
07-08-2012, 07:31 AM
I ran for about two hours yesterday and didn't notice any slowdowns. Either the bug is fixed in the latest patch, or I haven't encountered the situation yet. I'll keep looking.
I've an old save where we can easily detect the drop frame.
If you want I can upload it to you.

Valgor
07-08-2012, 07:35 AM
He's right, the situation seems to have gotten a bit better since 0.907, although I haven't played any larger sectors since then. The game still stutters occasionally during large battles, though.

aReclusiveMind
07-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I also see low framerates when a lot of ships are on screen in a major war. I'm talking about probably 20 ships or more.

I'm running a decent system currently, quad core Phenom II 3.1ghz with an ATI Radeon 5850 and 12 GB ram. Hoping to upgrade this year though. :)

I hadn't experienced any lag before either, but then again I hadn't seen that many ships on screen before either.

Von Paulus
07-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Yesterday it become again, unplayable for me.
The things are worst when you have two stronger species with a lot of spacecrafts.

ShaggyMoose
07-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Yesterday it become again, unplayable for me.
The things are worst when you have two stronger species with a lot of spacecrafts.
Just ran into my first slowdown in this type of scenario. With 3-4 planets on screen and each planet with their own sizeable defensive fleet, the frame rate is getting a little uneven. Add in a monster attack or race planet raid and its gets worse (not to mention you can barely tell what is going on). Still definitely playable, but I imagine it would not be on a machine closer to the recommended specification. I am using a 3750k at 4GHz, with an ATI 6950 and 8GB of RAM.

Von Paulus
07-09-2012, 10:34 AM
I am using a 3750k at 4GHz, with an ATI 6950 and 8GB of RAM.:eek: :D
You've the double of the cores working almost at the double clock speed than I. ;)

ShaggyMoose
07-11-2012, 06:46 AM
:eek: :D
You've the double of the cores working almost at the double clock speed than I. ;)
Yeah, and I am still getting a few performance issues...

Some sectors are crazy; like 20-30 destroyers on the screen at once, all firing at each other. It looks awesome, but performance is terrible and if they were firing at you it would be over in about three seconds. Ship population is too high perhaps?

I have also found that when large formations of ships use stargates, the game stutters and the gate seems to get "stuck on" playing the animation and sound loop for five or six seconds.

EDIT: Just had a gate stuck on continuously for over thirty seconds as ships just kept coming in and out. The noise was horrendous...

Von Paulus
07-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I have also found that when large formations of ships use stargates, the game stutters and the gate seems to get "stuck on" playing the animation and sound loop for five or six seconds.
I've notice that too.
I too notice that when I quit the game, and run it after, the stutter seems to be less.

Moonshine Fox
07-11-2012, 12:11 PM
I've notice that too.
I too notice that when I quit the game, and run it after, the stutter seems to be less.
Yeah, me too, but I've mostly attributed that to I/O issues, rather than CPU issues. I have a Core i7-3820 running at 3.9 GHz atm so that shouldn't be a big problem.

LostSoul
07-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Courtesy of a cloaking device I've noticed a bizarre phenomenon happening around starlanes and wormholes that two rival factions use to launch attacks from. It was particularly evident when multiple travel lanes merged several systems together and were in extremely close proximity of one another.

What will happen is that as the two fleets meet near one of these transition points, the ships will hop in and out of them over and over again. Sometimes there were yet more enemy ships in the system the lanes lead to but not always. It dragged out the battle obviously, causing more and more ships to pile up at these travel lanes.

Needless to say it was...quite a sight watching fleets (literally, as in many dozens worth on either side) slugging it out. Titans and Flagships galore.

I'm wondering if perhaps the ships are being given conflicting commands in sequence, and that's causing a logic loop. "Attack this planet, destroy the enemy, wait no, attack this planet, argh destroy the enemy! Wait...no, attack this planet" over and over and over again.