PDA

View Full Version : Enhancement: Rename quests to missions

robmack
06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi,
I know the term quests is left over from previous games, but renaming it to missions would be much more genre appropriate.

Also, if you could sub-categorize mission types and allow sorting, that would really be helpful to players trying to stay on top of things.

Here are some potential sub-catagories:
Bounties: Monster kill quests
Black-Ops: Delivering weapons/rumors etc, quashing rebellions
Special-Ops: Colonization, diplomatic and trade missions
Recon and Rescue: Search, rescue

Bluddy
06-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi,
I know the term quests is left over from previous games, but renaming it to missions would be much more genre appropriate.

Also, if you could sub-categorize mission types and allow sorting, that would really be helpful to players trying to stay on top of things.

Here are some potential sub-catagories:
Bounties: Monster kill quests
Black-Ops: Delivering weapons/rumors etc, quashing rebellions
Special-Ops: Colonization, diplomatic and trade missions
Recon and Rescue: Search, rescue

That's a great idea!

And if sorting is done, it should be allowed both on a category and a star system basis.

meriton
06-27-2012, 05:54 PM
and perhaps by rewarded xp, too?

Virosa
06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Would need a category for go fetch me X item to fix Y issue at Z planet. And go Fetch me X of Y from Z monster in C sector.

Waffles
06-28-2012, 06:28 AM
I like it! Not really sure what else to say. *Thumbs up*

Virosa: I think the first type should be logistics missions, and the second type would already be bounty.

Von Paulus
06-28-2012, 12:45 PM
I agree.
And you should also rename races to species.
Races is more used in the fantasy genre. In SF we use the term species.

Moonshine Fox
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Immersion, immersion, immersion. Brilliant idea!

Bluddy
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
I agree.
And you should also rename races to species.
Races is more used in the fantasy genre. In SF we use the term species.

That's really funny. When Shadow was teasing us with info about his next game, some people guessed it was sci-fi. But then he mentioned races, and my automatic reaction was "oh, there's no way it's sci-fi -- you wouldn't call aliens races, you'd call them species!". Turned out I was wrong :)

Shadow
06-28-2012, 02:03 PM
I actually considered both quests/missions and races/species. :) I'm not necessarily against changing them though.

I leaned to the quests side because our current fanbase is probably at least slightly fantasy based and quest sounds a little cooler and more important than mission.

The race/species thing isn't clear cut in sc-fi land. Species is probably used a bit more, but there are examples of games using races like Master of Orion.

Von Paulus
06-28-2012, 02:05 PM
That's really funny. When Shadow was teasing us with info about his next game, some people guessed it was sci-fi. But then he mentioned races, and my automatic reaction was "oh, there's no way it's sci-fi -- you wouldn't call aliens races, you'd call them species!". Turned out I was wrong :)
I guess, old habits don't change. :)
But speaking from a SF fan point of view, calling races to species will sound... awkward, to say the least.
And for those who are nitpicking, this an important issue.

The race/species thing isn't clear cut in sc-fi land. Species is probably used a bit more, but there are examples of games using races like Master of Orion.
They were also wrong. ;)

Waffles
06-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I leaned to the quests side because our current fanbase is probably at least slightly fantasy based and quest sounds a little cooler and more important than mission.

I'm substantially more fantasy based, and I think mission sounds cooler. To me it seems exotic.

Edit: Species does too.

torikamal
06-29-2012, 06:12 PM
I do like your missions nomenclature suggestion. It does feel more spacey to me.