PDA

View Full Version : Planet destroyer fleets!

nr1fan
06-28-2012, 07:31 AM
I have noticed that apart from those tiny static defense fleets colonized planets only have a rather slim bar of health keeping them from becoming extinct if anyone comes shooting at them.

I also have noticed that on multiple occasions entire civilizations get destroyed by random monsters because of this.

Further more I have abused this (as I'm sure many of you have) by sitting at a comfortable distance, unequipping my engines, armor etc. to get more heavy slots for long range weapons and pouring nuclear death at that last pesky civilization who didn't want to ally with me, effectively winning the sector.

Therefore I would like to see some kind of an improvement in colonized planet survivability.

I've had some thoughts on this.

1. Give them more health and some resistances.

2. Make them resistant to all types of damage except for a special ''planet busting'' type of weapon that wouldn't be available to random mobs and civilization fleets. It could be available to players, special boss monsters and costly technologically advanced planet destroyer fleets. :D:D:D

So what do you think?

ShaggyMoose
06-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Some of the monster fleets I have seen could certainly realistically destroy a civilisation... I wouldn't want to see this made impossible.

If a planet is receiving damage from a player, I would expect at least part of the guard fleet to come out and attack them. Currently this doesn't happen. Even with the increased alert ranges in 0.904, the hug the planet like security blanket.

A few times I have noticed that a planet is in really dire straits, even with a large fleet. One quick bombing run and its over. I am not sure if this is intended or not. Does planet health regenerate? Maybe they could be repaired at a rate based on defensive fleet size (big fleet equals quick repairs)?

Permagrin
06-28-2012, 06:50 PM
[...]

Does planet health regenerate? Maybe they could be repaired at a rate based on defensive fleet size (big fleet equals quick repairs)?

Last game, my chosen ally's main planet had a sliver of health for most of the game and I don't recall it regenerating at all. Kinda disconcerting. :eek:

Bluddy
06-28-2012, 07:02 PM
There's a big abstraction here since the game doesn't do ground combat at all (not even simulated). I would say that hitting a planet with a laser should not be able to kill off its population. Instead, you should need some kind of ship to transport masses of troops to invade the planet, or a massive bomb.

Just hitting the planet could destroy its infrastructure though -- ship bays, factories, farms, and that could kill off the population eventually. The race would try to supply the needed supplies to the population, but if they can't get through, they'd die off.

Basically I think this stuff needs to be simulated in some more detail to prevent some absurdities like zapping a planet with my laser and thereby 'killing' it. Planets having some facilities/buildings would add a lot to the depth of the simulation, and would give races things to do rather than just expand.

LostSoul
06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
In general I think that defending fleets need to be patrolling around the planet rather than taking up a stationary position in orbit. Much like the AI for drones, they need to be moving around and looking out for possible threats.

Shadow
06-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Last game, my chosen ally's main planet had a sliver of health for most of the game and I don't recall it regenerating at all. Kinda disconcerting. :eek:

They do normally regenerate. There might be problems that are keeping this from happening though.

LostSoul
06-28-2012, 08:45 PM
They do normally regenerate. There might be problems that are keeping this from happening though.

Such as constant sniping by random space-pirates flying through on their way back to oblivion?

fluffybot
06-28-2012, 08:48 PM

I always figured the planet's "health" was its population, so this makes sense. When there's riots, radiation leaks, zombies, etc. the population either stays where it is or decreases, which makes a lot of sense. There is one thing I'd like to see though, and that is overpopulation awareness. It'd be a very interesting dynamic for excess population to play a large role in colonization as well as causing problems like food shortages, increased chances of health/social problems, etcetera.

Admittedly, I'm usually the sole planet destroyer fleet when the end game comes around and it raises some interesting issues. For one, if you're at war with a race that your allies are at war with, why don't you gain any standing with them for destroying their foe? Also, why can't you claim the credits of the fallen race? I would love to be able to wipe out the Drakk, for example, and use the money they left over to force treaties.

Shadow
06-29-2012, 11:09 AM
For one, if you're at war with a race that your allies are at war with, why don't you gain any standing with them for destroying their foe? Also, why can't you claim the credits of the fallen race? I would love to be able to wipe out the Drakk, for example, and use the money they left over to force treaties.

You should be getting relation bonuses with there enemies, it's just not showing you.

I'm probably going to eventually give you something if you are the one that destroys a race.