PDA

View Full Version : Differentiating planets?

Chumpy
06-29-2012, 03:32 PM
In Din's Curse, vendors had different specialties. You'd have armorsmiths, weaponsmiths, specialized weaponsmiths, potion vendors, food vendors, all-around vendors, the ultra-rate jeweller, and more. In Demon War, they could even commit crimes, giving the player a difficult decision to make.

In Drox Operative, (it seems like) every planet sells a smattering of everything. In theory, this is less limiting to the player. In practice, it contributes to galaxies feeling pretty much the same.

I remember how excited I got whenever a new town had a vendor type I wanted, or the Weaponsmith who for some reason kept rolling Elites. You want to check back with your favorite vendors, and protect them from outside threats for as long as possible. Drox Operative, with the ability to discover or colonize new planets, is arguably even better suited to this gameplay.

Valgor
06-29-2012, 04:33 PM
I've read a quip from a random planet that said something like "If you need computers, go to the Cortex, they got the best." , but the Cortex are just as likely to sell good computer components
as everybody else. It's a missed opportunity, really.
Not only could Cortex planets sell better computers, but the Brunt could specialize in heavy weapons (even their race blurb says they're fond of big guns), the Lithosoid could offer better armor and structural enhancements, the Fringe better shields and energy weapons, etc. Planets with suitable conditions and bonuses could become elite vendors, just as Chumpy said.

LostSoul
06-29-2012, 04:52 PM
*pause* - that gave me an idea.

...what if every faction had specific components that they specialized in, and THOSE were the components that you're most likely to get when you win a given sector and of those components, those that the victorious faction specializes in get additional stat bonuses that aren't attainable any other way? More over, items that a given race specializes in are more likely to be of much higher quality on planets that they control. It gives you an incentive to pick a certain faction and stick with them because you want the kind of components they're good with. Shields, Armors, Missiles, lasers, rail guns, batteries and chargers...etc etc.

Considering that right now the best option in any game is to pick the strongest race and run with them, this would give you a reason to pick not necessarily the strongest race but the one who's good with what you're looking for. Drone Hangars? Yeah you'll want RaceX. Oh Shields? RaceA.

Shadow
06-29-2012, 05:03 PM
I like pretty much all of these ideas btw.

Castruccio
06-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah these are really awesome ideas, and I wouldn't think they would take a whole ton of time to implement given the similarity to DC structure.

LostSoul
06-29-2012, 05:56 PM
This gets me to thinking about how to interact with the 4x games.

What if you could pay a faction to get them to advance on a specific planet and colonize it. The point of which is that certain planets have specific "properties" that assist in a given aspect of the 4x game. You could have "crucible" worlds that make ship production cheaper and/or faster. Mineral planets that have greater resource production capacities. Paradise planets that have better population growth factors. Etc etc.

So you could spend part of your game branching out to find these planets and pass their locations on to your chosen faction and then your services to assist in colonizing it. Or you can "encourage them" to take it from an enemy faction's grasp and add it to their empire (by some kind of means).

Give the player more tools and more methods to bring your preferred faction to dominance.

Shadow
06-29-2012, 06:24 PM
All of that happens except explicitly telling a race to go colonize a specific planet.

LostSoul
06-29-2012, 07:06 PM
I kind of wondered about that based on some planet's description. So the issue isn't that it's not there, but that there isn't enough interaction with that system to make it more obvious. To me, when I find a high-value planet in some solar system and relay it to another race with generally good standings with me, that should trigger a "colonize this place!" quest.

The fact that this doesn't happen is probably why this underlying structure isn't immediately obvious.