PDA

View Full Version : Bombs overpowered and Fighters underpowered

aReclusiveMind
06-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Based on the sector's I've played in (highest level ship is now level 25), bombs are indispensable and fighters are virtually useless.

With just one bomb (16.0 dam/sec) I am able to take out hordes of small enemies and do heavy damage to multiple larger enemies. I'm using a missile as a secondary weapon (as my ship is Brunt and now has a dedicated missile slot), but most of the time the bomb is superior. There are several issues with bombs right now...

Bomb range is very large. It is not uncommon to hit most of the screen with a bomb and you don't have to aim it at a particular enemy.
Bombs do not require attack skill at all. They automatically hit all targets and, unlike missiles, can't be reflected.
They destroy incoming missiles and enemy ships all at once. They seem to offer great damage output vs packs as well as defense against missiles (blowing them up before they reach you). They are also the ultimate planet attack weapon as it hits the planet and all the ships defending all at once.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, fighters/interceptors/bombers seem really lackluster. I found a bomber bay with level 31 bombers and they were barely denting enemies at all. I'm talking about enemies that were around level 25, so quite a few levels lower than the bombers themselves. They cost far too much energy to launch considering how fragile they are, and offer very little bang for their buck. Every time I try a fighter bay I realize they are useless and switch back to some other weapon instead. I didn't test to see if you can have more then 5 if you have more then one bay equipped now. I'd love to see more than 5 be possible, but either way they need a buff in my opinion to even be worth considering.

Chumpy
06-30-2012, 02:39 AM
I'm using a missile as a secondary weapon (as my ship is Brunt and now has a dedicated missile slot), but most of the time the bomb is superior.

That's because missiles are bad for taking out anything other than single targets. Three second cooldown time (better hope you don't miss!), heavy energy investment, and reflectable???

There are huge masses of enemies in Drox, and because there are no "walls" in space, they can all threaten you at once. It's no wonder area effect moves overshadow everything else. You can get surrounded by flying three feet.

Still, I suspect you'll need a single-target weapon in a few levels to take out stronger enemies without breaking the energy bank. That means beams, I think.

I dunno; I'd rather see weak weapons buffed than fun things nerfed.

Speaking of weak weapons, holy cow fighter bays are terrible. My Drakk ship just got a free fighter bay slot that I don't think I'll ever use. Why do they cost all my energy and have a cooldown? Is it important you spend a whole minute rebuilding your "fleet" after every fight?

aReclusiveMind
06-30-2012, 03:29 AM
Part of the problem with the fighters/interceptors/bombers is that they do too little damage and don't survive long under fire. There are several ways they could be adjusted to be more useful, but as it stands now there is no use in trying to play a carrier ship.

I agree that beams and missiles feel a bit underpowered, at least compared to bombs. They should be buffed some and fighter bays should be buffed A LOT. Bombs just have too many advantages currently. No need for computer skills at all, relatively low energy cost, lower cooldown then missiles while doing higher damage that can't be avoided, attacks nearly the entire screen, etc.

The only weapon I use besides bombs and the missile slot is a medium slot utility weapon. I haven't needed anything else to take out even high level monster bosses. I do have to use consumables rather often though.

Shadowy Figure
06-30-2012, 02:58 PM
I just tried bombs out and I think they are bugged. The tool tip says it's explosion radius is 75. Mines have an explosion radius of 125 but they affect a much smaller area.

Out of curiosity, when you guys say fighters are weak, what are you comparing them too? I like playing pet builds and support characters in general so I lack experience with various weapons.

I didn't test to see if you can have more then 5 if you have more then one bay equipped now. I'd love to see more than 5 be possible, but either way they need a buff in my opinion to even be worth considering.

You can have 5 of each type of plane so you can have 5 bombers and 5 fighters out. If you equip 2 fighter bays you will still only be able to have 5 fighters total.

aReclusiveMind
06-30-2012, 03:45 PM
You can have 5 of each type of plane so you can have 5 bombers and 5 fighters out. If you equip 2 fighter bays you will still only be able to have 5 fighters total.

Ahh good to know.

Fighters are weak compared to any weapon I use. The bay itself takes a lot of power, and there is a significant "ramp up" time and energy expenditure to get them all deployed. You can do this while out of combat, so initially it isn't bad.

Offensive issues:
During combat, they appear to do less damage with 5 of them combined then a single missile or perhaps even laser blast would do from my ship. Add to this that they do not always target very intelligently and it can take them a significant amount of time to kill anything. I was seeing around 20 - 25 damage per laser from them. In comparison, my missile hits for around 125 and that's an AOE missile, not a single target one.

Defensive issues:
If you happen upon an enemy that has a self destruct mechanism or any type of AoE damage, it is very easy for all of your fighters to be wiped out in a single blow. Each bomber costs a lot to launch and has a 10 second cooldown. They are too fragile.

Scaling issues:
As far as I know, there is no way beyond installing a stronger (higher level) bay to provide them with greater damage or defenses. As I mentioned, I had bombers that were 6 levels higher than the monsters and they still barely dented them at all. Add to this that the bay takes a lot of power and that each bomber can cost 3 to 4x times the amount of energy of a normal weapon to use (65 for a missile, 200 per bomber launch). In fact they do less damage then my I'd be fine with this if they did decent damage and didn't die so easily. As it stands now, if your bombers all get killed by an AoE blast, you are going to have to expend 1000 energy over 50 seconds to deploy them (10 second cooldown per launch). By that time, they may have already been destroyed again.

I enjoy "pet" classes too, which is why I wanted to bring this issue up again. I don't think it is possible to build a strong carrier ship right now.

EDIT: Perhaps adding a medium or light slot item that increases the damage and defensive capabilities of your fighters in conjunction with a slight boost of their vanilla statistics would do the trick. I'm not afraid to use more then one slot if I want to dedicate myself to a carrier ship. Even 3 or 4 (3 carrier slots, 1 carrier boost slot) would be fine for a dedicated carrier ship.

LostSoul
06-30-2012, 05:07 PM
The overall issue with fighters in general is that they cost a HUGE amount of energy, take an exceptionally long time to deploy in effective numbers, their overall damage is only "properly" balanced when they're fielded at the bay's max numbers, and are easily wiped out (if not all at once then very nearly so).

You cannot assault a planet with them. The defenders will mop them up in pairs and triplets without breaking a sweat. I tried! With TWO bays pumping out bombers and fighters non-stop (thank you ancient power station) the defenders popped all 10 of the initial volley in about 8 seconds, and the reinforcements dwindled to 2 and never got above that for the full 5 minutes I tried. In that whole time they didn't deal a single point of damage to the planet itself.

I'd say...drop the energy cost to deploy them, or have the energy cost be tuned to the number of fighters you need to deploy. Current energy costs should be equal to all 5 ships at once in one press (and yes, launch all 5 in a single press). In exchange, the refresh time to relaunch them is increased based on how many fighters are launched at a time. 1 fighter = 10 seconds. Each additional fighter launched increases the recharge time (not by a static amount, but by a diminishing amount, capping out at around 30 seconds). That way you can always get them out and running at full strength at the press of the button, but you can only do that once every so often. In that light they are a much more effective weapon compared to missiles, bombs, or beams.