PDA

View Full Version : Finding "Technology"

aReclusiveMind
06-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Finding Technology seems to almost always be rather useless. I've found perhaps 50 technology drops since I started playing Drox Operative, and of those I've been able to successfully trade between 5 and 10 of those. I haven't said much about this to this point as I was hoping I was just having bad luck, but I don't think that's the case here.

I'm not sure what mechanics are going on in the background to determine what technologies the races will or won't have at the beginning, but right now it seems like they almost always have the technologies I'm finding already. I've tried trading it to every race and they apparently all have it as it can't be traded. Part of this may be that the technologies are just not tuned to a high enough level based on the sector level they are being found in. It could also be that races are just advancing too quickly or that the techs aren't properly scaled for pre-established sectors.

I did find a Magnetic Accelerator III (I think that was the name) which was around level 31 in my level 25ish sector, and that one I was able to trade. That leads me into the other issue I have with the techs. I don't know what advantage I may be giving to the race by trading it to them, and also they don't seem to value it very highly. I couldn't even get access to a single jump gate in exchange for this seemingly high level, valuable, technology.

Just some food for thought.

Chumpy
06-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Races with technology seem about the same as those without. I thought it might improve shop selection, but if it does I haven't noticed.

ebarstad
06-30-2012, 04:25 PM
I don't really get how Technology works in Drox. Once you find it and then right-click on it to find out what it is, it disappears -- does it become available in the trade screen at that point? If so, do the other races initiate trades or do you have to?

Moonshine Fox
06-30-2012, 04:42 PM
I don't really get how Technology works in Drox. Once you find it and then right-click on it to find out what it is, it disappears -- does it become available in the trade screen at that point? If so, do the other races initiate trades or do you have to?

If you negotiate with a race and they do not have that particular tech, it can be used as leverage. I was confused at that too in the beginning. Tech is of 0 use to the Drox, so it's a pure negotiation item.

aReclusiveMind
06-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Moonshine Fox is correct. Once you right click it in your inventory, it becomes a technology you can trade. The problem is that far too often the technology you find is of no use to any of the races as they already have it. In that situation it will not show up as tradeable at all.

ebarstad
07-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Thanks Moonshine Fox and aReclusiveMind. I hadn't really explored the trading screen that closely. There are a few things there I didn't know you could trade (location of discovered planets, jump gates, ...)

I think it would be great if the technology drops were very rare and very powerful - something that would net the Drox a lot of leverage and give your favoured race a significant advantage. As it is now, I found a technology and traded it to my only discovered race for 56 credits.

Moonshine Fox
07-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks Moonshine Fox and aReclusiveMind. I hadn't really explored the trading screen that closely. There are a few things there I didn't know you could trade (location of discovered planets, jump gates, ...)

I think it would be great if the technology drops were very rare and very powerful - something that would net the Drox a lot of leverage and give your favoured race a significant advantage. As it is now, I found a technology and traded it to my only discovered race for 56 credits.

Just to make things clear, even though it says it's tradeable, it's not really used in the trading screen, but rather in the negotiate/trade screen that you access via the relations screen. That's what had me stumped for a long time, since I scoured the trading interface for the tech :P